What's new

Whos my Subaru experts? Engine replacement.

Could be piston slap. I've got an older 2.2l in a forester that sounds rough on a cold start and quiets down when warm. If I didn't know better I'd say it was about to blow. I trust it enough that I just drove it from NH to SC and back this week, 2k MI round trip.

Could also be a bad timing belt tensioner. They will knock like a bad rod bearing. 3 10mm bolts to pull the drivers side T-belt cover and look in to see if it's flapping while running.
He facetimed me this morning when he started it. I dont think its piston slap driving GM Im very familar with that noise. This was a deeper clack but being a boxer engine I dont know. :grinpimp:

It does sound like rod knock but he said its coming from the top end. I couldnt really tell over the phone but it didnt sound like it was real deep in the engine. Is it real obvious when the belts flapping. Hes mechanically inclined but not a real gearhead.

Where is the "top end" on that motor? :laughing:

Where is the "top end" on that motor? :laughing:
You know what I meant. :flipoff2:. Valve train.

As it is he had another mechanic look at it this afternoon. He thinks it is in the "bottom end". He used a a stethoscope and he said the noise is much louder against the case in the middle of the block but faint at the heads and no noise on the belt covers. He said the noise almost completely goes away when the engine gets warm.

Reactions: DMG

As it is he had another mechanic look at it this afternoon. He thinks it is in the "bottom end". He used a a stethoscope and he said the noise is much louder against the case in the middle of the block but faint at the heads and no noise on the belt covers. He said the noise almost completely goes away when the engine gets warm.
Usualy bad bearings get worse when the motor warms up and the oil thins out.

Usualy bad bearings get worse when the motor warms up and the oil thins out.
Yeah I have no clue. The mechanic said the same thing all hecould figure is the way the case/block is on those was the tolerances were tightening up when hot. Im not up there so I cant tell and honestly I have never torn into a subie boxer engine.

Put eyes on the timing belt idler and confirm it's not garbage.

I appreciate all the input. Hopefully he can get it figured out. Hes moving soon and trying to put off buying a new car till after.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh