What's new

Whole House water filters

Poopyface

Member Number
How dirty is too dirty when it comes to water filters?

i installed Big Blue before my softener last year in November. Changed it three months later but it was relatively clean. I let the replacement filter go until yesterday. Pretty big difference.

3 month filter on right, 7 on left.

image_21725.jpg

20200901_190957.jpg

20200902_125014.jpg

Last edited:
Install a pressure gauge on each side and look for a pressure drop across the filter.

Not real concerned about pressure since I didn't notice any loss. I wondering about the sediments and if that's a normal amount for that length of time.

Last edited:
Not real concerned about pressure since I didn't notice any loss. I wondering about the sediments and if that's a normal amount for that length of time.

It depends on the well. I change a couple every other month that look like that. While almost all of the wells drilled by our company in the last 30 yrs don't need any filtration. If you're not noticing any pressure or flow loss just change it every 6 months so you can keep track of it.

city water look worse than that.
run it til pressure drops

I installed one and put a charcoal filter in it, had a pressure loss within a couple of months, I guess it was filtering too much stuff. I put in another one and when it started to lose pressure I just flipped the bypass and haven't touched the damn thing in years :) I have my own drilled well, I drink gallons of the water and never an issue, it's clear as can be. YMMV

Depends on the media, turbidy.
thatun looks fine on the left...
I run a 5\10 type in front of my u v and cg it 2x a year!
I would go till the media stains 1\2-3\4 thru or ya get a 1\2" of mud in the bottom, and or follow the abovementioned advice .

This is one I change every other month it's a dual gradient 50-05 that doesn't show any significant pressure/ flow loss it's for sand but gets plugged up with iron.
20200902_153400.jpg

As long as it's flowing and not loosing pressure, it's probably fine. I run mine 1-2 years, but we have really clean water.

Top Back Refresh