What's new

Who’s actually run Jantz Jana stuff?

Corey Young It seems like you know Carl. How is he doing? I know he was sick for a while. Can we hope to still be having him around for many years to come?
Text from Carl:

I think I had a irate4x4 membership. I will either renew or join soon. Please tell them I am around and ornery as ever. But at the moment am battling covid. Haven't had any cancer issues in years. Just sold # 487 jana 76 kit. The 76 one its class in ultra 4 last year, front and rear in John Mathews car. Also 76s are getting popular in the pulling crowd.

I'm running the first Jana 76 customer set From Carl. My front Dana 60 4.56 ring gear had cracks. Happen to have a Dana 70 ring and pinion and Detroit laying around. We put it in and no problems since.

link to Carl Jantz store:

Screenshot_20231213_183146_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231213_183022_Gallery.jpg
Whoa blast from the past. No lift and 54s is still alive and well? I remember reading that thread in the high school machine shop :beer:

Those are current pics from this year. I'm building another set of 20x14 double beadlocks and got a fresh set of 54" boggers. Those ones were made in 2008!

Carl said you guys can call or text him at 425-327-0804 if you have questions or want to buy parts from him.

Good to hear Carl is still alive and kicking.

I had Carl set up my JRats with 70 gears and ARB's. The man would sit and talk on the phone until I understood what he was doing and was happy. He sent the gears out for shot peening, REM polishing and cryo treatment.

Then one was stolen, or half of it anyway, I still have the pinion portion. So I had him do his magic to a third one.

DSC05815.JPG

IMG_20221130_145707.jpg

IMG_20221130_145812.jpg

IMG_20221130_145824.jpg

I had Carl set up my JRats with 70 gears and ARB's. The man would sit and talk on the phone until I understood what he was doing and was happy. He sent the gears out for shot peening, REM polishing and cryo treatment.

Then one was stolen, or half of it anyway, I still have the pinion portion. So I had him do his magic to a third one.

DSC05815.JPG

IMG_20221130_145707.jpg

IMG_20221130_145812.jpg

IMG_20221130_145824.jpg
I'm not at all sure what I'm looking at, but what's not to like about what appears to be a drop out third taking D70 gears, keyed bearing cap retainers, and load bolts? Looks heavy and long though....but what would one expect out of a 3rd that takes 70 gears?

I'm not at all sure what I'm looking at, but what's not to like about what appears to be a drop out third taking D70 gears, keyed bearing cap retainers, and load bolts? Looks heavy and long though....but what would one expect out of a 3rd that takes 70 gears?

I'm not sure why they didn't take off, can take hp or lp gears also.

One down side is D70 uses the same size pinion as D60 which isn't exactly huge. Although iirc, the HP70 gears have a 35 spline pinion.

They are JRAT Sixty 9 drop outs from JRAT Offroad. Same drop out can be ran HP or LP by just flipping the front piece. Was a big thread at the old place about them. People racing with them with good results, yada, yada, yada.

What I didn't do was to have Carl use the gears with the 35 spline pinions. I would have been HP in the rear on the coat side and I didn't want to do that.

I like the idea of a drop out 3rd and fabricated housing.

I'm not sure why they didn't take off, can take hp or lp gears also.

One down side is D70 uses the same size pinion as D60 which isn't exactly huge. Although iirc, the HP70 gears have a 35 spline pinion.
At the time I had them done by Carl, I believe he said the 35 spline pinion gears only came in 5.38 and had to be HP rear.
I wanted 5.13, but would have gladly gone 5.38 if it wasn't for the HP coast side rear.

Didn't they have a later version that took 70 gears?

To be honest, I could see them being popular but also I kinda see why they didn't make it. The 9/10" is just so established many parts are much cheaper than that jrat. The advantage of the 69 3rd would obviously be strong lockers that don't cost $2500 :laughing:

One thing I can say I'm not wild about and it has nothing to do with the JRAT's. The RuffStuff fabricated housings are wider than they could have been. They look giant to me. I mean it is what it is where the 3rd goes, but the tapered sides sure seem longer than they need to be. Could be stronger, maybe, who knows, but it looks ...............well.........you tell me:flipoff2:

DSC07849.JPG

Other side looks more normal.......to me anyway.

DSC05850.JPG

To be honest, I could see them being popular but also I kinda see why they didn't make it. The 9/10" is just so established many parts are much cheaper than that jrat. The advantage of the 69 3rd would obviously be strong lockers that don't cost $2500 :laughing:

Just looked at the invoices. Both 3rd's got RD177 arb 40 spline lockers. Says they're for the 70's and 80's. also says he used Jana 76 low pinion kits in both. That was in 2014, when I had him do the replacement one in 2017 his prices hadn't changed on the Jana76 kits.

My understanding is the 3rd's could always take the 70 gears. Carl didn't have to do any grinding to make them fit in my 3rd's. However, there did end up being two housings made at one point, one being for the 70 gears.

EDIT: Load bolts.......the early 3rd's didn't have them. The 3rd I got in 2017 has 2 load bolts.

The housings I bought were the early 60 gear ones. It certainly wasn't like much needed to be done to get the bigger ring gear to go in. But without removing those two little spots, it would never go in.

DSC05807.JPG

DSC05809.JPG

DSC05811.JPG

Corey Young could mention these to Carl and I guaranty he'll remember them.

Last edited:
The RuffStuff fabricated housings are wider than they could have been. They look giant to me. I mean it is what it is where the 3rd goes, but the tapered sides sure seem longer than they need to be. Could be stronger, maybe, who knows, but it looks ...............well.........you tell me:flipoff2:

DSC07849.JPG
That does look massive. Is that an earlier housing or something?

Maybe it’s perspective and lack of context on the website photo, but yours looks wayyy bigger.

1702766187411.jpeg

Idk total cost of JRAT 3rds or cost/strength comparison but ultimate strength 10in stuff is the opposite of cheap. I can’t imagine a JRAT costing more

That does look massive. Is that an earlier housing or something?

Maybe it’s perspective and lack of context on the website photo, but yours looks wayyy bigger.

1702766187411.jpeg

I believe that's a picture of a Ford 9" style housing. The Jrat flange face is bigger than the Ford for sure. I think Ruffstuff stopped making the housings not long after I bought mine. Some other company started making them after that.

I believe that's a picture of a Ford 9" style housing. The Jrat flange face is bigger than the Ford for sure. I think Ruffstuff stopped making the housings not long after I bought mine. Some other company started making them after that.

If I remember correctly the 2nd company (wasn't it Torq?) made a much narrower housing for that 3rd and I think it's one of the reasons he switched manufacturers.

Oh I didn’t realize it was it’s own housing. Yes that’s a 9”

Makes sense then

One thing I can say I'm not wild about and it has nothing to do with the JRAT's. The RuffStuff fabricated housings are wider than they could have been. They look giant to me. I mean it is what it is where the 3rd goes, but the tapered sides sure seem longer than they need to be. Could be stronger, maybe, who knows, but it looks ...............well.........you tell me:flipoff2:

They claimed it was a strength thing. I think they were aiming their housings at u4 more than crawling.

Idk total cost of JRAT 3rds or cost/strength comparison but ultimate strength 10in stuff is the opposite of cheap. I can’t imagine a JRAT costing more

Niether is cheap, In comparison, the only thing really expensive is the gears themselves. When a gw lp housing is only $450 and you go pretty cheap on housings depending on what style you pick.

From what I read, the jrat 3rd was $1550, and those D70 gears are around $5-600 iirc.

So basically you can pay $1500 for 3rd and $600 for gears or $600 for a 3rd and $1500 for gears :laughing:

Obviously there is other factors like the high dollar 10" arb that blows my point out of the water.

They claimed it was a strength thing. I think they were aiming their housings at u4 more than crawling.

Niether is cheap, In comparison, the only thing really expensive is the gears themselves. When a gw lp housing is only $450 and you go pretty cheap on housings depending on what style you pick.

From what I read, the jrat 3rd was $1550, and those D70 gears are around $5-600 iirc.

So basically you can pay $1500 for 3rd and $600 for gears or $600 for a 3rd and $1500 for gears :laughing:

Obviously there is other factors like the high dollar 10" arb that blows my point out of the water.

Bear in mind this was 2017, I did zero of the work myself, Carl did all the work and ordered the JRAT.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Bear in mind this was 2017, I did zero of the work myself, Carl did all the work and ordered the JRAT.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG
In todays # you can buy a Gearworks HP10 and be cheaper.

Not with a 40spline ARB.
Fusion advertises it at $5690 in today's dollars.
That $5553 invoice was from 2017. One would assume (and make and ass out of me) that the prices went up since 2017.

Fusion advertises it at $5690 in today's dollars.
That $5553 invoice was from 2017. One would assume (and make and ass out of me) that the prices went up since 2017.
Yup, I failed at math, you're correct. I took the price of a fully built GW 3rd with a spool and added the price of the ARB in my head without thinking. I'm going to get another cup of coffee now:homer:

Yup, I failed at math, you're correct. I took the price of a fully built GW 3rd with a spool and added the price of the ARB in my head without thinking. I'm going to get another cup of coffee now:homer:
No worries.
I would have loved to find out the JRAT fully loaded third dropped in price or something unexpected.

I didn't know those were still a thing. I remember the thread from the old days.

I didn't know those were still a thing. I remember the thread from the old days.
I know he was still doing them in '17, His website is dead now and there's nothing current on his face book page.

At least they are cast 8620 so a crack wouldn't be the end of the world.

Carl is a great dude. Bought a loadbolt kit from him that was initially for my Dana 60 front... (then I got a D70 front and am debating putting it in that or the in the 60 under something else). Regardless... great dude, has given me ample advice on many aspects of my rig over the phone. He really stands behind his products and not only answers your questions about them, but is happy to give some theory and rationale for his answers.

Top Back Refresh