What's new

Where to find tow rating for older trucks?

You say single car, so you need to carry 5k or less? Assuming yours is a "9990 GVWR" surge brake trailer I would list yours as trade for a lighter car hauler trailer and see what you get.
Correct, I'll be hauling a single car at a time and it is doubtful I'll haul any fullsize pickups.

Those ford pickup frames flex/twist a LOT in the longer wheelbases, because the channel isn't 8" tall. One f350 (std cab) we used for boat hauling actually folded at the driver side shock mount , because the webbing is reduced in that area for clearance. For heavy stuff, their C&C's are the beef.

My 93 cummins beater was $4500 some years back. It's not worth $15k today - thats some wack Cali problem.

I'm looking at starting with a factory/dealer 4wd that gets me to the 8k gvwr so the c30 is out.

I'm still on the fence for whether I want a gas or diesel which impacts my range. Currently I have nothing diesel so I have little inclination to get one... although the legendary "Cummins gets 40mpg while towing 100k lbs uphill the whole way" brag does make diesel intriguing:homer: Gas would be big block and mileage be damned:eek:
Joking aside… My 12v Cummins averaged 16 mpg pulling a 18’ car trailer with ~4,500lbs XJ on it, roughly 6,500-7,000 lbs GTW, going 70-75 on my last trip. An oil change only cost a little more as the Cummins take 3 gallons of oil instead of typical gasser’s 5-6 quarts oil capacity. FWIW

Those ford pickup frames flex/twist a LOT in the longer wheelbases, because the channel isn't 8" tall. One f350 (std cab) we used for boat hauling actually folded at the driver side shock mount , because the webbing is reduced in that area for clearance. For heavy stuff, their C&C's are the beef.

My 93 cummins beater was $4500 some years back. It's not worth $15k today - thats some wack Cali problem.
They all twist a ton compared to something even vaguely modern. It comes down to the design of the crossmembers. Adding channel depth does almost nothing to increase torsional rigidity.

All the cummins nut swingers like to talk about "muh 8" channel" but it's only 8" under the middle and unless you buy a squarebody chevy that will rip the steering gear off the frames are all about the same. You wind up cracking shit around the various mounts loooooong before you actually bend the frame in the middle from weight. Sometimes people bent the tail of a frame bottoming out hard with something big in the bed or on a hitch.

I know the old ladder frames all flex to some degree. The ones with longer thinner frames do it most/worst, and break too. I listed some experiences.

Tearing off a Chevy steering box shouldn't be a concern for a 8600# gvwr tow-pig... its a 1/2ton, big-tire, offroad problem (because the frame is thin).

OP is trying to decide between 75- older gas and 97-older diesel. Modern rigid frames with integrity don't enter the picture.

<snip>
OP is trying to decide between 75- older gas and 97-older diesel. Modern rigid frames with integrity don't enter the picture.
Frame/suspension is part of the equation.

Ultimately, the axles will end up getting upgraded for bigger and better brakes.

The two different year ranges based upon fuel is due to Calif smog related issues.

Top Back Refresh