What's new

Where the KOH drama thread?

Yes, but I'd argue it's better now than it was. Once upon a time I sat in the rocks at backdoor as well-- but let's not have rose tinted glasses here. It wasn't that exciting. I recall being there when someone drove over someone else's car to great drama, as well as the driving over winch line fun. But the other amount of time, meh.

I'd rather pay a fair share and have the phenomenal production value that's been going on the past few years. At chocolate thunder, we get to set up shop, have a giant jumbotron with announcers, including drone pilots who fly -inside- the damn cars. It's 2023: dollar for dollar it's a pretty good value all things equal.

:beer:
The bold section represents my thinking as well with the exception being viewing from home vs in person. If I were to make the 30 hour each was pilgrimage to spectate KOH in person, it would be the least I've been able to follow the race since it was only broadcast from a van and the other site's chat function. I have a hard time justifying a 30 hour drive to watch a big screen in the desert or to have no idea what's occurring during the race. All that said, I'm an information junky when it comes to the ability to follow along the race from home.

The bold section represents my thinking as well with the exception being viewing from home vs in person. If I were to make the 30 hour each was pilgrimage to spectate KOH in person, it would be the least I've been able to follow the race since it was only broadcast from a van and the other site's chat function. I have a hard time justifying a 30 hour drive to watch a big screen in the desert or to have no idea what's occurring during the race. All that said, I'm an information junky when it comes to the ability to follow along the race from home.
i am with you there about the drive. if i ever get back to the west coast or to KOH it will be to wheel, and if a race is going on so be. but my drive will be to wheel. and i sure hope all this stuff can get sorted out because last years race was fun to watch

i am with you there about the drive. if i ever get back to the west coast or to KOH it will be to wheel, and if a race is going on so be. but my drive will be to wheel. and i sure hope all this stuff can get sorted out because last years race was fun to watch
Yup. Same. Around 40 hours each way from here. If I go back to wheel, it won't be KOH week. The only way I will go to KOH is if I get a free ride with a local team to help out.

If you are travelling across the country to wheel, do not show up during KOH, you will end your trip in utter disappointment. It wasn't always that way but has been that way since 2018 probably. Show up the week after

Last edited:
If you are travelling across the country to wheel, do not show up during KOH, you will your trip in utter disappointment. It wasn't always that way but has been that way since 2018 probably. Show up the week after
Yep, go sweep the desert for free parts and tools the week after. Gotta be quick to beat the Jawa’s to it.

Keeping the drunk/meth idiots at bay is not one of them, and I don't know how they would. I'm all for people having a hard time, but there's just too many people in one place with no adult supervision.

Except for portraying our sport in a bad light is it really that big of a problem? If you sample a random group or town of 50,000 people across the US, how many people get injured to require a hospital or die in a week? Probably more then at koh

Except for portraying our sport in a bad light is it really that big of a problem? If you sample a random group or town of 50,000 people across the US, how many people get injured to require a hospital or die in a week? Probably more then at koh
Yeah, maybe it's because we usually camp up in the heights and we have a big camp, but I've never had any problems there. It's the alcohol fueled dildo fights and rig smashing you gotta watch out for, but that stuff usually happens in very specific places at very specific times. Most people involved usually know what they signed up for.

i am more concerned with the theft, very easy to move around vehicles with no one really paying attention to what you are doing.

I think it's the concentration of idiots, not the sheer number. I'm not worried about myself personally, but I'd like to take my kid one year, and it always just feels like a high concentration of people being idiots.

I suppose Backdoor and Chocolate Thunder are shit shows, but that's easy enough to avoid.

I've never had any theft issues.

I think it's the concentration of idiots, not the sheer number. I'm not worried about myself personally, but I'd like to take my kid one year, and it always just feels like a high concentration of people being idiots.

Big off-road events always seem to attract dudes who can’t act right when their wives aren’t around. It does get old.

i am more concerned with the theft, very easy to move around vehicles with no one really paying attention to what you are doing.
Never run into problems with that before. But also I've bet guys at my camp they can't figure out how to start my jeep and tossed them the keys. They're not dumb and the best they could do was turn the lights on.

Big off-road events always seem to attract dudes who can’t act right when their wives aren’t around. It does get old.

brad is the boyfriend of sally, sally is the daughter of fred.

HAMMERED guy who is not from the circle of friends was sitting a the camp fire, looks at brad and says "you boning sally?" (in coarser language) .. i thought fred was going to KILL him. thankfully hammered dude has a buddy there to put him to bed.

Never run into problems with that before. But also I've bet guys at my camp they can't figure out how to start my jeep and tossed them the keys. They're not dumb and the best they could do was turn the lights on.

in camp, not really but in the general parking areas and spectator spots super easy to do.

in camp, not really but in the general parking areas and spectator spots super easy to do.
Is it an actual issue? Are more cars stolen there then in a town of 50,000 over a week?

Lets pick barstow, one of the nearest towns with a decent population (25k) would you feel safer parking your sxs/jeep/race truck in the middle of barstow for a night or in the middle of the populated koh area?

I supose the answer is neither... but id feel relatively safe leaving my $50k sxs parked against the fence of hammertown for several days.

Reactions: DMG
Is it an actual issue? Are more cars stolen there then in a town of 50,000 over a week?

Lets pick barstow, one of the nearest towns with a decent population (25k) would you feel safer parking your sxs/jeep/race truck in the middle of barstow for a night or in the middle of the populated koh area?

I supose the answer is neither... but id feel relatively safe leaving my $50k sxs parked against the fence of hammertown for several days.
I think it's more an issue of "stuff". I don't have rear glass in my Runner and was concerned about stuff in the back while parked by BD while doing recovery a few years back

I've never been to KOH but I've been to some of the local races like RCQ, the AOAA race and FRO races. I'm always amazed by what gets left out and open to the world. I over here cable locking my spare to my trailer cause I don't trust people in a patrolled parking lot:homer:

CA is an absolute shithole when it comes to property crime and that skews your opinion of what normal is.

Here's a screenshot from my town of 50k's 2021 police stats report. And keep in mind I live somewhere that Karens and most of IBB considers to be below them.

Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 7.21.42 PM.png

CA is an absolute shithole when it comes to property crime and that skews your opinion of what normal is.

Possibly but all the keys are in my vehicles at my house and the doors unlocked. Im not sure if my "shop container" doors have ever closed. If I go to the gas station I dont wory about locking my door when I go inside.

If I go to koh I honestly assume my cooler or honda 50 will stay in the bed of my truck wherever I park it... where as there are areas of most towns id feel unsure regardless of the state.

Possibly but all the keys are in my vehicles at my house and the doors unlocked. Im not sure if my "shop container" doors have ever closed. If I go to the gas station I dont wory about locking my door when I go inside.

If I go to koh I honestly assume my cooler or honda 50 will stay in the bed of my truck wherever I park it... where as there are areas of most towns id feel unsure regardless of the state.
You can get away with that shit until you can't....

I have a friend that lives on the central coast. He is a college roomates dad. I don’t think he has removed the keys from his ignition in 30 years. Drives newish trucks. (Fob in console). Blows my mind when I used to go to SLO with him. No stolen cars yet. 🤷‍♂️

I think it's more an issue of "stuff". I don't have rear glass in my Runner and was concerned about stuff in the back while parked by BD while doing recovery a few years back
Never had a problem there, but also never really left my junk at BD for more than an hour. Most of our recovery was deep in the course (wrecking ball, Spooner's, sledge, etc.), however I had no problem parking my jeep outside of hammer town with all my recovery gear and tools in the back for hours at a time.

I've also had a 250, 125, and my son's 50 sitting at camp or at the fence to hammer town to use the blue rooms without anyone ever stealing my stuff. Maybe if I left one of those overnight at the fence of hammer town it would disappear, but even then I'm not sure that would be the case.

The door to my RV stays unlocked all weekend.

You can get away with that shit until you can't....
No offense intended to you personally, but that sounds like something someone advocating masks, distancing, and the vax during covid would say.

It's easy to point to an invisible Boogeyman and say just because it hasn't historically happened doesn't mean it.couldnt happen tomorrow. Statistically, many things are possible, but not probable.

Half the time my wife doesn't lock the door to whatever vehicle she's driving when she parks it in front of our house. If we're not in bed at night, our front door is usually unlocked. And sometimes I drive the rig I take to KOH to work and park it downtown(the nearest population center to 2big bronco )with no locks on the doors and zip up windows. So far no one has messed with it despite a considerable bum population roving around town.

No offense intended to you personally, but that sounds like something someone advocating masks, distancing, and the vax during covid would say.
No its just the difference between an east coast realist and a west coast optimist.

I live 1/2 mile from the house I grew up in, we never locked doors and always left keys in ignitions growing up. In the past 3 years I've had shit stolen out of my unlocked truck in the yard, and have junkies snooping around after dark. I'm far enough out of town, but on a main road. Easier to lock shit and not need to than deal with stolen shit.

That said I just left the car running and unlocked when I went into the gas station. Keys are sitting in my car at work. Know your surroundings/situation I guess?

It's easy to point to an invisible Boogeyman and say just because it hasn't historically happened doesn't mean it.couldnt happen tomorrow. Statistically, many things are possible, but not probable.
Real fucking rich coming from you. :shaking:

All 164k square miles?:laughing: Have you ever been to Johnson Valley?
Someone forgot his midol this morning. :shaking:

I'm sure there are remote parts of CA are fine but the person I was replying to works in SF pretty regularly so it's not like that's all he knows say nothing of the fact that urban areas dominate the news cycle so that kinda skews people's perceptions too. And it seems like that didn't go over anyone's head here but yours.

So yeah, the fact that JV during Hammers is about as thefty in a week as a poorer town in MA is in a year is a pretty strong condemnation of the crowd. Now I get that the booze and the relative anonymity and all the unlocked expensive shit play into it a little but still, it's one of the flagship events of the sport, you'd think it'd be a little more cleaned up than that, especially considering that the demographics most represented are not exactly high crime.

Top Back Refresh