What's new

What's this CPU stuff mean? :homer:

If building something, can't go wrong with Team Red (AMD).

3600 CPU
X570 MOBO
1060 GPU
1TB NVME

Call it a day.

Amd has come along ways but team blue is good too

I5 8600k
370 mobo
1 to ssd
32 gb ddr4

my desktop will probably last for another decade for what we use it for, paying the bills and bendtech when i want to use a mouse, but at that point i think i'll put together a low power consumption computer. it will still probably well out perform everything else i own :laughing:

If you want a laptop, you're better off just going to buy a new one than trying to upgrade or piece anything together. Go find an old stock Lenovo or something, make sure it doesn't have some dinky chip so i3 minimum and no celeron/pentium/amd crap.

If you want a laptop, you're better off just going to buy a new one than trying to upgrade or piece anything together. Go find an old stock Lenovo or something, make sure it doesn't have some dinky chip so i3 minimum and no celeron/pentium/amd crap.

bought the wife/kid a laptop for all this 'rona bullshit. used, pretty sure lenova thinkpad, it was ~$200 or 250 from a place out here that sells refurbed units along with new and repair. it has an I5 8 series CPU. it works pretty dang good.

doesn't have the full keyboard with real sized 10-key though :rasta:

daily use since new, the only time it really seemed painfully slow was playing Civ V, now that i've got Civ VI from the free link, it's time to try out the upgrade.

gah darn, i had to redo my licenses for bendtech and autosketch and featurecam just from putting in a new SSD. don't particularly want to deal with that again for a while yet, so i'm hoping to get at least a few more years out of it before it needs to be replaced.

new laptops are hundreds of dollars :eek: You can get a pretty nice steering wheel and disconnect for that price :smokin:

what you should be looking to do is upgrade that pile of shit, and then create a virtual machine image out of your old drive so you can never have to deal with that stuff again and hae it forever, even after it's no longer supported on new windows.

Been a long while since I glued my PC together but it looks like yours is shit. 1.91 ghz for speed? WTF My PC is at 3.5 and I built it in 2011. Unfortunately Windows 7 is no longer going to be supported. The last GUI I like. I suppose I might have to figure out Linux. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Keep your dick in a vise.

I've been dailying linux for over a decade.

if you're the average windows user just go download linux mint and be done with it.
it will be familiar enough that you can do 95% of what you need out of the box.
put your browser of choice on it and boogie.

virtual machines for all the things.
​​​​​​​

what you should be looking to do is upgrade that pile of shit, and then create a virtual machine image out of your old drive so you can never have to deal with that stuff again and hae it forever, even after it's no longer supported on new windows.

if you're the average windows user just go download linux mint and be done with it.
it will be familiar enough that you can do 95% of what you need out of the box.
put your browser of choice on it and boogie.

virtual machines for all the things.

do virtual machines still function as a standalone? I guess that is something i don't understand in the slightest, but i still want this pile of junk to work when i'm not near electricity or internet :homer: i also have an unnatural fear of cloud only storage and such #ChemTrails

a virtual machine is just that.
It runs a computer inside your computer. the virtual machine is allowed to access as much of the host system as you allow it.

I have a linux laptop.
I have virtualbox.
I have virtual windows 7 machine for Volvo software.
I have virtual windows 7 machine for BMW software.
I have virtual windows XP machine for legacy software.
I have virtual win 98 machine to play classic games on.

the volvo software and BMW software are a super PITA to setup. I've transferred the volvo machine through 3 laptops. takes 20 minutes to copy the file and then i open it up. Took me fucking days to make it work properly.

there's a network share available to windows that lets me share files into and out of the machines, but they can't interact with the internet.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Virtualization

:garfield:

Last edited by a moderator:
a virtual machine is just that.
It runs a computer inside your computer. the virtual machine is allowed to access as much of the host system as you allow it.

I have a linux laptop.
I have virtualbox.
I have virtual windows 7 machine for Volvo software.
I have virtual windows 7 machine for BMW software.
I have virtual windows XP machine for legacy software.
I have virtual win 98 machine to play classic games on.

the volvo software and BMW software are a super PITA to setup. I've transferred the volvo machine through 3 laptops. takes 20 minutes to copy the file and then i open it up. Took me fucking days to make it work properly.

there's a network share available to windows that lets me share files into and out of the machines, but they can't interact with the internet.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Virtualization

alright, that sounds not at all like what i was thinking in my head :homer:

i'll probably have some follow on questions in a few days regarding that. Also, just for reference, I opened up Civ VI and it has a system graphics benchmark built in to it. my current setup netted me between 8 and 13 FPS. it actually runs smoother and cleaner than Civ V ever did, but some of that is likely due to the SSD instead of the 7200 HDD

i don't think i can fit all that in an easy to travel laptop.

My laptop is running the following:
I7-9750H cpu
8Gb GDR4 ram (to be upgraded to 32gb at so point)
Nvidia 1660ti 6Gb GPU 512Gb nvme primary HDD
1 Gb spinny boi seconday hdd
And 2x2 WiFi (no fucking idea what that means but I can now fling shit between my laptop and NAS at over 80mbps instead of ~17mbps on my old one)
So apparently you can fit a fair bit of stuff in a laptop. Not gonna lie, it was expensive but so far well worth the investment IMO.

Processes currently:
Epic Games Launcher 36% (downloading Civ VI)
Microsoft Edge 6%
WMI Provider Host (?) 15%
Task Manager 5%

and about 5-10 things that are all under 1%

So the launcher takes 36% CPU and you're hoping you can run Civ VI? You're going to be in for a surprise...

i'll probably have some follow on questions in a few days regarding that. Also, just for reference, I opened up Civ VI and it has a system graphics benchmark built in to it. my current setup netted me between 8 and 13 FPS. it actually runs smoother and cleaner than Civ V ever did, but some of that is likely due to the SSD instead of the 7200 HDD

you'll want to keep any gaming in the host operating system. virtualized graphics is no bueno for gaming newer than 15 year old games.

but if you want to uprgrade to a new machine and then make your old machine a virtual one and just strip it down to the bend tech shit that's what I would do.

doesn't have the full keyboard with real sized 10-key though :rasta:

Acer.

s-l1600.jpg

Stay back in the 8th and 9th gen CPUs, you'll get the SSD, the 8GB, the dedicated GPU, and the decent keyboard layout. Mid-range quality.

Ahhhh the perpetual Linux user. Correct in theory but wrong in practice.

The perpetual Linux user suffers a form of selective amnesia about all the times they have to pull a fairly acrobatic technical feat out of their ass because Linux instead of Winders.

So the launcher takes 36% CPU and you're hoping you can run Civ VI? You're going to be in for a surprise...

it certainly functioned fine, if 8-13 FPS counts as fine. turns out i can also adjust some stuff and it should work even better. it's smoother than CIV V ever was

you'll want to keep any gaming in the host operating system. virtualized graphics is no bueno for gaming newer than 15 year old games.

but if you want to uprgrade to a new machine and then make your old machine a virtual one and just strip it down to the bend tech shit that's what I would do.

alright, still digging around, but it is starting to make a little bit more sense

Acer.

Stay back in the 8th and 9th gen CPUs, you'll get the SSD, the 8GB, the dedicated GPU, and the decent keyboard layout. Mid-range quality.

The perpetual Linux user suffers a form of selective amnesia about all the times they have to pull a fairly acrobatic technical feat out of their ass because Linux instead of Winders.

hey, thanks for the informative post :flipoff2: wasn't so hard? :rasta: guess i'll keep an eye out for those and see what comes up locally.

Acer.

lol.
haven't tried it in a long while I see.

lol.
haven't tried it in a long while I see.

Ahhhh, the perpetual Linux user. Pointing out how the usability of Linux has improved so much but that doesn't matter because in absolute terms it's still ancient Phoenecian to the average user.

UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 30%, Work 15%
CPU: AMD A4-3300M APU - 31.8%
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6480G - 1.5%
SSD: PNY CS900 240GB - 20.8%
RAM: Micron 16JSF51264HZ-1G4D1 1x4GB - 17.9%
MBD: HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC

CPU benchmark, apparently i had ~27% background cpu usage at the time (only thing open was the browser tab to userbenchmark and the benchmark test running), so under the knife it goes. my hong kong CPU showed up today, we'll see if the A8 is any better

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRu...9561#PROCESSOR

i'll run their benchmark again if the CPU swap works as well as teh CIV VI test and see if i can get higher than ~13 FPS :laughing: also, i'll probably stick back in the other 4mb of ram and see if 8 matters. it made zero difference previously, pure placebo effect when i first did it.

Utilization 100%
Speed 1.91 Ghz
Processess 131
Threads 1633
Handles 79003
Base speed 1.9GHz
sockets 1
cores 2
logical processors 2
L1 cache 256kb
L2 cache 2.0MB

this is what i'm getting from the AMD A4-3300M on my laptop, 3 windows open on Edge and downloading a video game. last fall, changed out the HDD for an SSD and went from 4gb ram to 8gb ram, that made little to no difference so i'm back to 4gb ram. i was curious if that was causing a slowdown, pulled the other 4gb and saw no change, left it out. :homer:

anyways, of those numbers, what ones mean more than others :confused: any of them?

UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 30%, Work 15%
CPU: AMD A4-3300M APU - 31.8%
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6480G - 1.5%
SSD: PNY CS900 240GB - 20.8%
RAM: Micron 16JSF51264HZ-1G4D1 1x4GB - 17.9%

previous results above, new results below

welp, not dead!

UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 35%, Work 24%
CPU: AMD A8-3520M APU - 42.9%
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6620G - 2.6%
SSD: PNY CS900 240GB - 21.9%
RAM: Kingston KX830D-HYC Micron 16JSF51264HZ-1G4D1 8GB - 33.3%

according to task manager, i've seen 2.08 ghz
base speed 1.60 ghz
4 core
L1 cache 512 KB
L2 cache 4.0 MB
AMD A8 -3520M

i'll probably have some follow on questions in a few days regarding that. Also, just for reference, I opened up Civ VI and it has a system graphics benchmark built in to it. my current setup netted me between 8 and 13 FPS.

new setup? 15-30 FPS doing the same test! While that still keeps me in the bottom 1%, it is substantially better than what it was before. apparently my CPU was FS1. this was well worth the ~$30

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Pavi...lacement/25778

credit where due, i couldn't figure out how the keypad was supposed to come apart and ended up digging out this article on the wifes phone. it was nearly everything i needed, but i ended up using an allen key to push the keyboard up via an access hole in the chassis as i couldn't get behind it otherwise.

edit: this is just amazing, it's like i need to relearn how to use a computer :laughing: responds and functions faster than my damned I-7 work sever slug of a computer. i'm blown away and can't believe it took me this long to learn how to swap out hard parts on a computer. something to keep in mind i guess if i ever replace this thing, look for a laptop with a common socket for swappable options :rasta:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh