What's new

What's the new go to 12v Compressor?

welndmn

Well Done Man
Member Number
Loc
Concord, CA
I remember the MasterFlow tsunami air compressor mf‑1050 was the big deal for a while, those all seem to dry or are $100 now. I still like mine, I just need another one.
What else is out there for cheap that works?

Really depends on what for. I run a Air Zenith, highest CFM, 100% duty Cycle, 200psi max. ~$300.

I have a Viair 450 that I've been using for 15ish years or so. No problems and it will fill all 4 tires without issues, 285/75-17's on one rig, 35-12.5 15's and 33x12.50 15's on the other rigs. I don't remember what Paid for it now but it was a damn site more than $100, around 300 or so I'd guess.

Tsunami is still good, last one I bought was like $80 instead of $40 years ago.

Puma makes a badass 12 v if you want to spend about $300

It appears to be out of stock at the moment. According to my order history, I bought a tsunami on Amazon for $70 in '18.

I don't currently have big tires, 32x11.50 but buddies have 35s and have borrowed it a couple times. Light years better than my old Slime brand 12v compressor.

I've heard good things about these:
https://www.amazon.com/Puma-Industr...Professional/dp/B00VNIB7CI?tag=91812054244-20

I've seen a few where they remove the tank and regulator setup to make it more portable. I wish there was an option to just buy the pump, although at $270 if you wanted a permanent vehicle mounted setup with a tank this isn't that bad of an idea. It doesn't necessarily have to stay together and the parts could be mounted where ever they fit in a vehicle.

Kevin

https://www.amazon.com/Puma-Industr...Professional/dp/B00VNIB7CI?tag=91812054244-20

I've seen a few where they remove the tank and regulator setup to make it more portable. I wish there was an option to just buy the pump, although at $270 if you wanted a permanent vehicle mounted setup with a tank this isn't that bad of an idea. It doesn't necessarily have to stay together and the parts could be mounted where ever they fit in a vehicle.

Kevin

That's the puma I referenced.

It's pretty bad ass, kicks the shit out of any viar I've seen. Although maybe not the stupid expensive ones.

I'm not usually big on tanks on a wheeler. They're completely useless for tires. But it's nice to be able to use a air nozzle to blow the dust off while camping.

They do sell just the pump, but it's like $250, and doesn't come with anything but the pump. so it just makes more sense buy the complete unit and ditch the tank if you don't want it.

Still using my 15 year old tsunami. it was on sale at Pep Boys for $45 in 2006.:rolleyes:

I have a Viair 450 that I've been using for 15ish years or so. No problems and it will fill all 4 tires without issues, 285/75-17's on one rig, 35-12.5 15's and 33x12.50 15's on the other rigs. I don't remember what Paid for it now but it was a damn site more than $100, around 300 or so I'd guess.

Have the same one. I think it was around $300 also. Very nice air compressor that works well for what I do.

+1 for the Puma, haven't been able to kill them.

one permanent mount on my '06 tow rig. And a permanent mount on my 4runner I separated them and mounted the components all over. both over 15 years old.

I have had good luck with Viair, so I have a 450 hard mounted in my truck with a 2gal tank for my air lockers and tire fills.

+1 for the Puma, haven't been able to kill them.

one permanent mount on my '06 tow rig. And a permanent mount on my 4runner I separated them and mounted the components all over. both over 15 years old.

For those with the Puma 12v compressor, are they very loud? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the noise was the biggest complaint.

Kevin

That looks exactly like the one I have that was purchased about 15 years ago. It still works great. Now hard mounted on my trail rig.

My viair 450 is still kicking about 10 years in. Lives in a fat50 ammo can with a plug and patch kit. I've used it for everything from bicycles to 42s. I did melt the fuse holder out of the power cord, but replaced it and have been all good since....never did pop the fuse either lol.

I have a thomas oilless 2 cylinder that runs on 24vdc but it was way more than most of any of you rock crawling lunatics would pinch for.

It came with my 6 inch dredge bought it about 24 yeara ago..

I have a thomas oilless 2 cylinder that runs on 24vdc but it was way more than most of any of you rock crawling lunatics would pinch for.

It came with my 6 inch dredge bought it about 24 yeara ago..

I also have a Thomas 2 cylinder, runs on a 1/2HP 12V motor. Super quite.

Pro-Series Super Duty Tire Inflator

I got this one on sale through NAPA for $128 December 2019 and am pretty impressed with it. You can't plug it in through a power point as it draws too many amps. Been meaning to set it up with a 50A anderson connector (overkill I know). It pumps a 35" tire from 0-20psi in a few minutes, and puts out enough volume to seat a bead that's off, as long as you can get the gap close. If you remove the core first it works even better for this. I believe it has thermal protection as well. I don't hink I'd pay list for it, but on sale I think it's worth it for an all-around compressor that's portable.

Edit: https://links.imagerelay.com/cdn/42...Tire-Inflator-Comparison-Chart_Art_022021.pdf

Here's the specs on all their compressors.

My Viar 450 was used to replace a QuickAir I killed with a 7g tank, (stupid of me really), went to a 2.5g tank and no more problems. When I sold the truck I kept the compressor and installed it in an ammo can. 12v computer fan for exhaust, a Pep Boys breather for intake, 30' curley hose and 15' power leads, and ARB chuck with gauge all fit inside, and I can run it with the lid clamped down and it's quiet and doesn't overheat.

Attachments

• 20160911_114217.jpg
    20160911_114217.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20160911_114231.jpg
    20160911_114231.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20160911_114245.jpg
    20160911_114245.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 37
Top Back Refresh