What's new

What would cause a cylinder head to have this indent

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
I did have some dampner springs break, but not on this valve. What would cause this type of damage, and probably the dampner breaking as well?

Engine ran great, redline/shift point was at 6200 if I remember correct, but the springs should have been up to the task (dont recall details, built 16 years ago). Lift should not have been high, only use 1.6 RRs

Ordered new springs from the cam manufacturerand putting these together, but kind of worried.

Much thanks.

photo27183.jpg

Are we looking at the dead buying valve stem seal or the sink on the guide area from what looks like an inner spring wearing into it?

I'm guessing the spring seat got worn in by the outer and inner springs making contact. They are generally wound opposite directions to avoid coil bind but in weird circumstances anything is possible.

Looks like coil bind to me. Do those heads need to be machined for dual valvesprings?

btdt got lucky it didn’t drop a valve.

Measure valve tilt on that valve. Maybe a worn guide?

Maybe bind, but could have come from the initial install.

dont recall details, built 16 years ago

spring steel is going to cut soft iron, never the other way around
a billion cycles and it'll chew right through
it is why they usually put steel shims at the bottom of valvesprings in an engine that's expected to last

Yes, the inner valve seat. The heads were brand new mopar performance, afaik no machine work done on them. I have new valve seals as well.

New springs are the same height. I ran those heads for many many years. I did take them on and off a few times in the beginning, I wonder if I set that rocker too tight one of the first times around, causing the coil bind?

It is a very mild cam, nothing aggressive.
​​

Are you sure that spring seat step is ok for that type of spring?

Top Back Refresh