What's new

What pellet smoker

Skip the expensive “easy button” pellet and get you a 22” or 26” weber premium deluxe with gas starter.

I run coals plus wood and much deeper smoke taste than pellets; if you like smoke flavor 1/2” plus in the meat. Hell, reheating leftovers at work still smells it up.

Add the BBQ guru fan, fireboard controller, smoke and sear, and vortex accessories. I can control the temps like an oven...from my phone....anywhere I have wifi.

Only place to go after a weber is a straight offset or reverse flow stick burner.

A side from the original topic. I was in your shoes. Charcoal was great. Ended up with a fantastic stick burner. After many years of stick burner, I got a Pit Boss. The stick burner is sitting by the curb waiting for the scrap guy or a neighbor to pick it up. I can start a brisket at midnight and go to bed, no babysitting. Pit Boss pellets are 10 bucks a bag at Lowes as a plus and I didn't have to add anything to it to make it do what I need it to do.

In a nutshell, they're all pretty much the same, just pay what you want. I burn most of my grills out in a few years. My stick burner has been welded back up several times and is getting to be junk now. I can't justify paying the higher prices for something I know I'll replace in three or four years.

My old Traeger I got used is pretty basic but works great. The hotstick and later the auger drive motor crapped out and were cheap and easy to get online.

I have a Traeger Jr. and a Green Mountain. I've looked a bunch over the years. I think in the sub $1,000 price point the Green Mountain is the better unit.

This is the one I have. I'd buy it again: https://greenmountaingrills.com/pro...-wifi/daniel-boone-pellet-grill-non-wifi-blk/

Sky's the limit budget and I'd go with this Traeger: https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/timberline/850

Weber makes one now too, I have only seen one in passing but it looked nice. Weber is a company that rarely let's me down, so I'd dig into that one if I were looking.

I don't consider these a replacement for a gas or charcoal grill. Maybe the newer ones get enough heat to really cook a steak, but mine don't.

don't consider these a replacement for a gas or charcoal grill. Maybe the newer ones get enough heat to really cook a steak, but mine don't.

I picked up a blackstone to replace my gas grill. It sits next to my GMG and UDS. The blackstone does most of what the gas grill did. I normally do reverse sear on steaks, start on the smoker and finish on the stone.

I have a GMG Danial Boone, stainless hood, side table, and wifi controller. I don't use it anymore if anyone is looking for one. $200 in Reno, NV

GMG works fine, will probably splurge for a yoder next time.

Found a guy that has a few used pit bosses for sale... tempted to go grab one....

96168024-756C-42A3-B507-E6647FF97D0E.jpeg
Demo model was 200 bucks

For those of you stick burners. How many of you come home to a perfect steak? Until I bought the pellet smoker I did all cooking over fire. Never did I get the treat of cooked to perfection food over fire. Now I do. Won’t go back after many years of stick burning.

photo26565.jpg

For those of you stick burners. How many of you come home to a perfect steak? Until I bought the pellet smoker I did all cooking over fire. Never did I get the treat of cooked to perfection food over fire. Now I do. Won’t go back after many years of stick burning.

I usually put the steak in the smoker until it gets to about 110 and then finish it off on the gas grill or a skillet heated to around the same temperature as the surface of the sun.

Works about 95% of the time. Trust me though, I've made some jerky before and it sucks ass to ruin a good steak like that.

FWIW, I have a cheap stick burner, a pit barrel (charcoal) cooker, and a gas grill. The pit barrel does ribs and chicken the best, I use the stick burner with cherry or apple wood from my property for everything else.

I switched to selling GMG grill after Treager put their grills in Home Hardware store and refused to protect the area i had built up over several years. As a side benefit we found that the GMG was a easy sell agianst Treager. The straight up sides allow for a bigger bird or shoulder to fit in the grill. With the new burn system you can do dual heat zones. The newest model now has a window on the lid and hopper. As well the added mounts for a rotisory, a folding front shelf and side shelf are standard now. They also put a light in the smoke chamber.
They where the first to do a digital controller, wifi, low level alarm, and dual meat probes. GMG also does a pretty quality of finish on the grill as far as i am concerned. Treagers always seem to burn the finish off the belly of the grill where you cant see it, but GMG don't at all.

Love my GMG

I would agree with what others have said. I like my GMG. Would also buy a RecTec. I think my next grill/smoker will be a gravity-fed charcoal. The Masterbuilt ones have gotten good reviews for the money.

Yes, I want a gravity charcoal grill too. With all the tweaks and upgrades they seem really good.
Im starting a house remodel next spring with a outdoor covered cook area. I plan to multiply my smokers/grills :smokin:

Ok guys, cold weather is here. What are you using to insulate your smokers? Started a brisket an hour ago and it's 32 outside lol. keep adjusting to bring the temp up from what I normally run. looks like i need to invest in some sort of blanket. Suggestions?

Edit to add I'm running a Pittboss smoker/propane combo.

Ok guys, cold weather is here. What are you using to insulate your smokers? Started a brisket an hour ago and it's 32 outside lol. keep adjusting to bring the temp up from what I normally run. looks like i need to invest in some sort of blanket. Suggestions?

Does pitboss sell a blanket? My Yoder blanket was the best upgrade I've done to my pellet smoker.

Can you fit a temp regulated fan to the pitboss? This relieved me of the hassle for ambient temp variances.

Does pitboss sell a blanket? My Yoder blanket was the best upgrade I've done to my pellet smoker.

Did not see one for the model i have. Regret my decision on the combo after seeing what just the smoker side can do. Wish i would have just got the large smoker. The smoker side is small. But I have always been a propane guy and am used to get'r done quick for dogs and burgers. I now know I could that with Pittboss smoker alone. Oh well, only feeding 2-3 anyways lol

Can you fit a temp regulated fan to the pitboss? This relieved me of the hassle for ambient temp variances.

It seems to hold ok once I got the smoke setting where the temp was good. Just was frosty this morning when I started it so had to play around a bit. Also on this model it vents to the propane side where the chimney is. As I stated above, this is a learning for me and I would do it differently.

Nothing. So long as the winds not hammering it, it will hold temp as well as it does in the summer. I have had issues using my little chief in the winter with low ambient temps though.

Top Back Refresh