What's new

what do you use to store and move your axles around?

lagunaMS

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
mississippi
Looking for easy ways to move heavy ass axles around the garage and also to store them. Any fancy stands or modified hand trucks? Or do you just store them on jack stands and use harbor freight dollies to roll them around? Sorry if this has been covered already, I tried searching and didn't see anything.

I use the floor to store my axles. Have had pretty good luck sliding them around on concrete floors too although now I have a gantry crane to help out.

They only get jackstands if I need to work on them.

Kevin

I finally bought a clapped out forklift and it has changed my life...

We used to buy these for jobs where we had to move a bunch of rebar cages around but didn't want to tie up a $10k/month telehandler. Get the load centered right and one person can move around a couple thousand pounds like nothing. A smaller, cheaper how brew version would be perfect for shuttling axles around the yard and shop. Could probably build it for under $100 with a couple of HF lawn trailer tires and some square tubing.

GHinuse.jpg

I finally bought a clapped out forklift and it has changed my life...

We used to buy these for jobs where we had to move a bunch of rebar cages around but didn't want to tie up a $10k/month telehandler. Get the load centered right and one person can move around a couple thousand pounds like nothing. A smaller, cheaper how brew version would be perfect for shuttling axles around the yard and shop. Could probably build it for under $100 with a couple of HF lawn trailer tires and some square tubing.

So what if you had something like this with the overhang of a gin pole one one side of the axle and a sliding counterweight on the handle side of the axle. So you hook up your cargo and winch the counterweight back towards the handle until you're balanced. Then off you go.

Nice ideas! I bought a dana 60 from a guy's house a few years ago and had to go buy an engine hoist to get it out of my truck bed by myself. It worked great, and I used that to lift it and other heavy shit up onto jackstands/trailers/etc all the time.

Last edited:
Engine hoist makes short work of axles. Floor does a great job of storing them but I do intend to build a simple rack in the near future.

Pre-fab porch railing and some pneumatic castors I had laying around. Simple and effective. A more elegant version could me made with you know, new lumber and what not but it worked for me. That's a Super Duty D50 on it, plenty of room for another. Works well for other heavy/awkward shit like truck toppers too.
Click image for larger version Name:	axlecart.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	222550

Last edited:
Harbor freight jack stands, a 3 ton jack (I think) and every ounce of muscle I have.
I used some harbor freight wheel dollys too. The heavier limit ones.

I made a rack out of an old truck frame with some pipe legs on it to store my axles outside. I use a forklift or loader to move them around.

Good thinking, having a loader must be really nice to move shit around with

Pre-fab porch railing and some pneumatic castors I had laying around. Simple and effective. A more elegant version could me made with you know, new lumber and what not but it worked for me. That's a Super Duty D50 on it, plenty of room for another. Works well for other heavy/awkward shit like truck toppers too.

That looks solid and works perfectly. You can also pressure wash stuff directly on it since it doesn't hold water

Harbor freight jack stands, a 3 ton jack (I think) and every ounce of muscle I have.
I used some harbor freight wheel dollys too. The heavier limit ones.

I need to go pick up some of their dollies

How I moved it

Good idea, looks like a solid platform

Top Back Refresh