What's new

What do you consider "minor" rust?

Surprisingly the carfax on these vehicles keeps them mostly in VA and NC, with a little bit of travel around, but not much.
You should see some of the nasty ass crap around Boone, Sparta, Galax.(oh, wait, you did)...Anything North of I-40 and east of the Miss River is a rust bucket. Go farther down toward Charlotte, Columbia, Spartanburg.

My Dad's '32 Ford needs the bottom of one stake pocket, that is minor rust.

Never seen anything like that!!

I'm solidly in the rust belt.

That axle has an atrocious amount of rust. Definitely not minor nor "normal."

How do you even do that to an axle? Constantly driving through hub deep salt slurry? Da fuq?

My f350 that I scrapped due to rust that had holes all over the body ranging from fist sized to bowling ball sized still only had surface rust/pitting on the frame and axles. Some brackets had quarter sized holes from where shit collected, but nothing like THAT.

I'm pretty damn baffled how that even happens. :eek:
892603_10102407337024238_1153099670_o_10102407337024238.jpg

Rest in pieces, Bertha. :emb:

I'm solidly in the rust belt.

That axle has an atrocious amount of rust. Definitely not minor nor "normal."

How do you even do that to an axle? Constantly driving through hub deep salt slurry? Da fuq?

My f350 that I scrapped due to rust that had holes all over the body ranging from fist sized to bowling ball sized still only had surface rust/pitting on the frame and axles. Some brackets had quarter sized holes from where shit collected, but nothing like THAT.

I'm pretty damn baffled how that even happens. :eek:
892603_10102407337024238_1153099670_o_10102407337024238.jpg

Rest in pieces, Bertha. :emb:
Hurricane Sandy or what was the one that flooded all of E NC a few years ago?

I looked at a “rust free” gx470 last summer, dealer was an idiot and a liar. Frame was delaminating in places and he tells me that’s rust free for the area. He advertised all his shit as rust free when it isn’t. I told him he’s gonna have some pissed off mf’rs driving to look at falsely advertised vehicles. He also told me the price reflects the rust, wtf guy.

Last edited:
I looked at a “rust free” gx470 last summer, dealer was a idiot and a liar. Frame was delaminating in places and he tells me that’s rust free for the area. He advertised all his shit as rust free when it isn’t. I told him he’s gonna have some pissed off mf’rs driving to look at falsely advertised vehicles.
I've had this happen too. "Rust free" at a dealer seems to mean "looks better than similar models I spotted in the ghetto when repo-ing the last POS".

I have entertained buying from a dealer twice in my life as they claimed to have what I'm looking for. Ended up wasting my time both times and being poisoned against dealers since, sorry xr-nut :laughing:
It pisses me off when I tell them I've got cash in hand, I'm going to be driving 90 minutes, so please answer my questions honestly and, if I come to look and like it I'll put that cash in your hand and the transaction will take 15 minutes. Lying, bait and switch motherfuckers:flipoff:. I'd rather give my money to a private seller that someone who makes a business out of trading vehicles for money and can't seem to pull that off. Typical buyers must be dumb as fuck.
I'm sure there's some that do it right, they are probably out of my price range:lmao:

Coastal rust here is different than salt roads. Here it eats out anything exposed to air, and the longer it sits the worse. But sometimes something sits by the bay for 2years and has nothing but corroded wires.

I’m in Mass and my XJ’s axles look better than those and mine are rusty. The rockers and doors look normal.

I’m in Mass and my XJ’s axles look better than those and mine are rusty. The rockers and doors look normal.
Right... the rockers and doors were expected, as they were shown in the picture. The fucking tree bark looking rust scale coming off of the tubes and shit were shocking.
Then the lady said "Well, I told 7 other potential buyers that you were coming so in my mind you already bought it" :laughing::lmao::lmao:
It took a lot for me to remain civil on that one. I told her if I wasn't interested I would not have driven my truck and trailer 4 hours south at 0-dark to look at them. She was really getting verbally combative. Not to mention when she brought the titles out, she had them face down and was going to sign them right away. I asked to see them and flipped them over to see one was Totalled/Salvage (which I already knew because of a fellow IBB member who hooked me up) but I played it off because she never fucking disclosed that....even though I asked if she had CLEAN titles..... so I was like, yeah... isn't happening lady.:flipoff:

For the record, I never drive more than an hour without seeing underside pictures. You should have asked for underside pics. If they refused then bail.

Coastal rust here is different than salt roads. Here it eats out anything exposed to air, and the longer it sits the worse. But sometimes something sits by the bay for 2years and has nothing but corroded wires.
Yep. People are like, your cars don't rust out, I'm like uhhh. I don't live in the damn desert. Hell, this is the floor of my nova. Gotta watch out where I put my foot.

20230119_150918.jpg

I looked at a “rust free” gx470
I just put a rust free gx470 out on my lot :laughing: Really i did. Drove it to kc last week. Nice car.
I've had this happen too. "Rust free" at a dealer seems to mean "looks better than similar models I spotted in the ghetto when repo-ing the last POS".

I have entertained buying from a dealer twice in my life as they claimed to have what I'm looking for. Ended up wasting my time both times and being poisoned against dealers since, sorry xr-nut :laughing:
It pisses me off when I tell them I've got cash in hand, I'm going to be driving 90 minutes, so please answer my questions honestly and, if I come to look and like it I'll put that cash in your hand and the transaction will take 15 minutes. Lying, bait and switch motherfuckers:flipoff:. I'd rather give my money to a private seller that someone who makes a business out of trading vehicles for money and can't seem to pull that off. Typical buyers must be dumb as fuck.
I'm sure there's some that do it right, they are probably out of my price range:lmao:
No offense taken. You've just not dealt with an honorable one yet. Just this week I sent 20 some pictures to a gal looking at one of my vettes. She had a multi hour drive to come see the car and I'd rather she exactly what's here than waste any more of my time or hers. She ended up not liking something she saw and didn't come. To me (and her) that's far better than the scenario you described. To me I'd rather that happen than her be pissed. In one scenario she is not buying the car and I'm a bad dishonest dealer. The other she's not buying it and shes thankful I told her the truth. The car will sell. Just not to her this week. Btw, sending the pics was my idea, not hers. She wanted to come.

Last edited:
fairly normal

ever look at a chevy where the lower u-bolt plates cup the water around the u-bolts, you'll see 9/16" bolts rusted down to sharp points

Top Back Refresh