What's new

what alternator is this?

arse_sidewards

Contrary to my ass
Member Number
Loc
Singing in the band again
The two spade terminals on the top indicate it's not GM 1-wire garbage. It looks like a Chrysler externally regulated alt but there was no external regulator mounted on the vehicle anywhere. I can get an external regulator for $20 but I can get a GM 1-wire for less than $40.

2021-02-14.jpg

2021-02-14.jpg

theres usually numbers stamped on the case right behind that adjuster bolt. wire brush it and post them.

Thanks for the help. I'll be running one wire from to the battery.

I knew it looked like a 1-wire but the spade terminals through me for a loop.

And I'm pretty sure this alt works. I just needed to know what it was so I knew I was wiring it right.

Memory is bad but I believe if it's factory one wire won't work. I think it needs a signal to start charging.

obviously, everything back then was an external reg with breaker points in it
probably got a book around here with the tune-up specs for the regulator if you do find one

but really just trash the shit

10si GM. Charge wire can come right off the red post. The other terminals are for a dummy light.

photo47837.png

I wouldn't put a 1-wire on a piece of equipment unless you have a master disconnect and use it. Will empty a battery after a few weeks of not being used.

I wouldn't put a 1-wire on a piece of equipment unless you have a master disconnect and use it. Will empty a battery after a few weeks of not being used.

I've started wiring all my shit like this. I have had a few 1-wire alternators draw shit down after extended periods of not using something, and others have been fine.

1 wire alt relay disconnect.png

I waited mine back to itself on my buggy. Once you revved the motor it saw a load and would start charging. I am not sure about the draining the battery part though. I used a battery disconnect switch in it.

The spade bits in a 73 up alternator are inline with each other, not next to each other.

63 to 72

$5 I don't need to spend. Female spade terminals worked well enough for the last guy.
thefinger.gif

63-72 is definitely the one but that doesn't tell me which wire gets 12v and which wire gets something else.

I've started wiring all my shit like this. I have had a few 1-wire alternators draw shit down after extended periods of not using something, and others have been fine.

This is basically a bastardized forklift. It's wired that way be default because literally everything that isn't the starter motor is powered directly off a big master disconnect switch.

Generic question regarding similar alternators and starters. Do shops still rebuild these and economically ? I just dont want Chinese Wuhan on my vehicle when my parts finally age out and fail on my 19 yo Ford. - thanks

Generic question regarding similar alternators and starters. Do shops still rebuild these and economically ? I just dont want Chinese Wuhan on my vehicle when my parts finally age out and fail on my 19 yo Ford. - thanks

Yes there are still rebuilders around. Economically, that depends on what's "economically" to you.

$5 I don't need to spend. Female spade terminals worked well enough for the last guy.
thefinger.gif

63-72 is definitely the one but that doesn't tell me which wire gets 12v and which wire gets something else.

This is basically a bastardized forklift. It's wired that way be default because literally everything that isn't the starter motor is powered directly off a big master disconnect switch.

Well there you go. Already setup for it! :flipoff2:

This pile has been working since 94.

BF283581-10D2-4FF5-9D6B-52FA55D90EBF.jpeg

Top Back Refresh