What's new

Well no wonder ebay has gone to crap....

clodhopper

Get off my lawn, punk!
Member Number
Loc
Out on the plains, Colorado
Havent used ebay in a long while. Just sold something on it and got raped on fees, charges, taxes and more. Excessive. No wonder so few people sell there anymore. Bezos is kicking the crap outta ebay and rightfully so. Wont bother in the future. Easier just to chuck it in the dumpster and move on with life.

X100000 fuck E-gay. I was defrauded (as a seller) and Ebay did nothing about it. No rights for sellers; they collude with scammers to rob you.

I stopped selling when ebay and paypal split up
at that point it was 10% to ebay and 10% to paypal
I can't imagine how this tax shit works out

oddly enough made the most money selling 1/2-13 heavy hex flange nuts I got a partial bucket of at auction. Probably got $700 out of that bucket.

Used to sell alot on eBay, between them and paypal and shipping theres no money to be made on anything.

With CL becoming all but useless over the last 5ish years it's made it to where I throw away / scrap stuff I would used to sell. If it's less than $100 I don't even mess with selling it now.

Fuck buying on Ebay as well. Against my better judgement, I ordered two items from two different sellers a week ago. My payment went thru immediately. Just checked the status and found that one of the items is getting shipped to the wrong address (not the address I input), and the other item has been paid for, has a label created and tracking number attached, but the package is not in the carriers hands yet. Messages sent, If no reply in 24 hours I'll call the CC company and dispute. :mad3:

A typical online (amazon/fleabay) experiance these days.
And fuck paypall, criminals, liars and cheats.

The only time I use it is for small stuff that I'm looking to purchase and even then you have to pay heavy attention to who the seller is. They started letting the Chinese sell on it and exempted them from being responsible for return shipping for any reason so the Chinese just list tons and tons of shit that they blatantly lie about because they're held to a different standard than other sellers. They do at least have a check box to exclude Chinese sellers though.

Been hosed as a buyer and seller. I don’t buy there and haven’t for years. I assumed it was general knowledge it was mostly scams

I buy a lot of shit on eBay, got burned once recently because I didn't check feedback. Scammer produced a UPS tracking number that got delivered wherever it was going, UPS was fucking useless and couldn't tell me where it went, just that it was delivered so eBay told me to go fuck my hat. When I buy new items I always buy from US sellers with good feedback and it works out (unless I'm half lit and click on the wrong listing and get fucked over). Usually shit like automotive LED bulbs, get 50 194 bulbs for like 10 bucks, half of em arrive smashed but you still have more than you need.

Most of what I buy is used/NOS motorcycle parts, I have no idea how some of these guys make any money on the smaller stuff. Sub 10 dollar part with free shipping, after fees and mailing you're getting what? A buck or two and driving it to the post office for free?

Last edited:
Depends on what you're shopping for. I've had good luck with buying stuff on fleabay, I'm generally after atv/snowmobile parts though. Yet to ever sell anything, always figured with the fees it was never worth it. Did have a seller back out of a sale for an atv rear fender, when they realized how much shipping actually was. Had $20.00 for shipping in the listing. I paid, but they refused to ship it. I did get my money back at least.

No issues that I can think of with paypal over the years. But have heard bad stories.

Last edited:
I've bought a ton of shit off ebay lately and I have had nothing but good experiences with it. Fast and free shipping, I even had to send some brake rotors back and it was a non issue.

No issues that I can think of with paypal over the years. But have heard bad stories.

Our first bad experience was this year. Wife ordered an item and got a tracking number. It didn't arrive. Looked into detailed tracking and it was for the correct city, but no address and it was somehow shipped the day before we ordered (USPS).

Disputed through PayPal, they told us to pound sand. CC immediately took the charge off. Paypal later sent a whiny email about them not being able to resolve the issue because we disputed the charge.

I'm not sure what the point of paypal is now. Anyone heard if this scam? Obviously, the scammers knew how to get through the paypal algorithms.

Approx 1,000 feedback 100% positive and used ebay to make extra money until last year. F paypal and ebay seller fees, I still buy on ebay but not near as much.

I'm not sure what the point of paypal is now. Anyone heard if this scam? Obviously, the scammers knew how to get through the paypal algorithms.

I use it mainly to send money to friends. Majority of the people I know still have it. Seems a little more secure than venmo... at least. Zelle is a good one as it is already linked with my bank.

Ive never had a bad buying experience that I can remember, good for used truck parts I've needed in the past or tiny weird items like a computer part. But when you're in the messages talking to a seller or something, they even admit on there they screen all your messages to make sure you're not arranging to pay outside of ebay. Pretty fucked up. They just don't want to miss out on getting their cut.

"We scan messages to enforce policies. Only purchases on eBay are covered by the eBay purchase protection programs. Asking your trading partner to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not allowed."

also

"To keep everyone safe on eBay, please don't send messages that include contact info. Repeated attempts could lead to an account suspension or other penalties."

Righttttttt, to "keep everyone safe"

The only time I use it is for small stuff that I'm looking to purchase and even then you have to pay heavy attention to who the seller is. They started letting the Chinese sell on it and exempted them from being responsible for return shipping for any reason so the Chinese just list tons and tons of shit that they blatantly lie about because they're held to a different standard than other sellers. They do at least have a check box to exclude Chinese sellers though.

Does it work? My wife ordered a puzzle earlier this year on Amazon and searched fort "Made in USA". You guessed it, the thing showed up directly from China complete with Chinese characters on the box and made in USA printed on the front. That is fraud.

Ebay made me switch to their payment system when I started listing a few items last week, not sure how its gonna work out, example they showed said I would save .5% over PayPal , total fees around 12% +/-

Our first bad experience was this year. Wife ordered an item and got a tracking number. It didn't arrive. Looked into detailed tracking and it was for the correct city, but no address and it was somehow shipped the day before we ordered (USPS).

Disputed through PayPal, they told us to pound sand. CC immediately took the charge off. Paypal later sent a whiny email about them not being able to resolve the issue because we disputed the charge.

The scam is that as long as they provide a valid tracking number, paypal will automatically close a dispute without checking any further because the tracking shows it was delivered. It's usually easy enough to call and talk to a real person a PP and they'll look up the tracking info and see that it wasn't sent to the correct address and they'll reopen the claim.

But I also always pay with a good credit card as a backup if PP gives me any shit.

Does it work? My wife ordered a puzzle earlier this year on Amazon and searched fort "Made in USA". You guessed it, the thing showed up directly from China complete with Chinese characters on the box and made in USA printed on the front. That is fraud.

After you search, on the left side menu you can select North America or USA only as the seller location. You still get some chinese sellers that are drop shipping from a US warehouse, but you still get your shit in a reasonable time.

The bigger scam that pisses me off is sellers that are straight up drop shipping from amazon and all the other big box retailers. You really have to make it a point to search out the best price on stuff. Seems to have slowed down more, but when I would get an amazon package from an ebay order, it was always sent as a gift since drop shipping violates the Prime membership. I'd usually call or chat with amazon to let them know and get the account suspended.

Paypal has been a piece of shit since day 1. The entire idea was to get people to buy things from the internet, that was the whole schtick.

So no, they don't give a fuck about sellers, that is not the point. The point was to convince someone to put their CC# on the internet. That's PP's entire reason for existence.

Now everyone has multiple CCs stored in multiple locations for Quick Pay. I am diligent about erasing my CC and I STILL got dinged last month on a stored CC. That's how bad it is now.

And everyone here is Eternal September to me :flipoff2: I had sold stuff on ebay before they had their 1 millionth customer.

I think I sold a semi tractor on eBay before their 1 millionth. That or shortly after. It's one of my oldest personal Internet accounts. My oldest is long gone, it was a complimentary Compuserve account for passing the CNE exam and getting certified by Novell :laughing:

This is now an internet nostalgia thread.

Novell used to run EV-ER-EEE-THING. Everything. And I remember getting on the internet and onto Novell's Provo FTP server and reading their internal correspondence.

I remember faxing into Microsoft for their Faxback system, a lot of tech companies had those.

I remember calling Microsoft tech support and getting a person. That was the big thing for me when I got off the ship in the 1990s, that I would be able to call Microsoft and get help, on the ship there was no internet of course, except through pier phone lines which was dicey at best.

I had a 1990 LT5 I sold on ebay right when covid hit this year. First time selling something b in a very long time on ebay and the first big item. I could only put the buy it now at a max of 5k which was a bit less then what I wanted. It sold in 2 days which was great. Paypal I think took $150-200 the ebay took almost $500. I was pissed. Cost me around $700 to sell a 5k item. Wont do that again.

Sold a iPhone 6 on it a few years ago and got fucked. I’ll never sell anything on it again. Face to face or no sale

I know a guy who makes money on eBay... fucking crazy business model.

He has a local scrap yard that crushes 50-75 cars a day. Super high volume. He has a deal with them, where he fills this motorized tool cart with parts, and its a flat $400 per load (ECUs and electronic modules priced separately). He knows what parts move on eBay and for what price, so he'll pick up, for example, and ATC out of an old Sprinter... costs about $5 in the end due to the bulk pricing. He sells them for $175 and free shipping. In the end, he makes over $100 on a part that took 5 minutes to pull and 5 minutes to package/ship. His spreadsheet showed that he was up over $42k in profit in the first 11 months of this year, doing it part-time out of a 2-car garage.

If I had a yard like that nearby, I'd probably do the same.

I won't sell on ebay since I heard they started siding with buyers in 99.9% of the cases... so about 10 years or more.

I still buy there with great success except for one part that was a piece of crap; cheap electric window control that I took a chance on it. Shipping can be slow as noted above; I have three items on order right now from Thurs. One shipped immediately. One printed a label. One has no update.

Paypal hasn't been an issue but I only use it in limited cases.

I still use the shit out of PayPal. I do a lot of long distance work with photographers for example and they all seem to like PayPal. I still seem to do ok on eBay too but have been screwed for sure.

I sold some wheels recenlty on there. I feel me and the buyer got kinda screwed. They and paypal charged like $10 fees which I thought was excesive for a $35 part, but I still made money because they way overcharged the buyer for shipping.

I still don't understand why they're collecting tax on used items.

The bigger scam that pisses me off is sellers that are straight up drop shipping from amazon and all the other big box retailers. You really have to make it a point to search out the best price on stuff. Seems to have slowed down more, but when I would get an amazon package from an ebay order, it was always sent as a gift since drop shipping violates the Prime membership. I'd usually call or chat with amazon to let them know and get the account suspended.

Sounds to me like your feeling are hurt more than anything else. You got the item you paid for, who cares where it came from.

I won't sell on ebay since I heard they started siding with buyers in 99.9% of the cases... so about 10 years or more.

yep, I recently got the shaft as a seller. Sold a 3D mouse brand new sealed in the box, with photos. Buyer claimed it didn't work, filed a claim, and Ebay forced me to accept a return. Upon return not only do I test it to be 100% working condition, but he didn't send back the CD or manual that are supposed to be inside the box. Ebay gave me absolutely no way to dispute and you CANNOT get a real person on the line, then after x amount of days they auto-deduct the return $$. I then sold it as open-box with 0 issue, showing the buyer was full of crap, and still could do nothing. Once I get time someone's getting a glitterbomb:stirthepot:

17 years of using Ebay without issue, but this may be the one that stops me from selling on there. I usually used it for the oddball stuff that doesn't sell easy locally

Top Back Refresh