What's new

Well here I go again.... rear stretch.

HRDROKN

Member Number
My plan at the moment is very fluid, just have to get it done for some late mid season trails....

Plans?

Ditching the Genright fuel tank and going with a RCI or similar recessed thru the floor.

Back half kit, Motobilt was on sale... I missed it. Still leaning this direction to match my front.

Dave's Customs also has a nice kit... I provide my own 2x4.

I'm guessing these things will pretty much determine axle placement.... and thinking that tying the upper coilover mounts into the roll bar or crossbar is needed?

This is where I'm at.... rockjock removed.

IMG-0653 (1).jpg

Fuel tank out and frame cut...

IMG-0658.jpg

IMG-0659.JPG

:homer:

I’m working on a very similar project. Pulling a Genright tank and stretching 15” with motobilt stuff. I’ll be watching to see what you do for a fuel tank

Attachments

• 2EC3891A-6022-4A0E-8B8C-E25EB1D98E36.jpeg
    2EC3891A-6022-4A0E-8B8C-E25EB1D98E36.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
I’m working on a very similar project. Pulling a Genright tank and stretching 15” with motobilt stuff. I’ll be watching to see what you do for a fuel tank

That 15" Motobilt stretch is nice!

Fuel tank... I want to keep the overall height to a minimum, so that I can hide it from the inside (CA emissions). Also want to keep it low enough that I can tie in an outside fill (again hiding the fuel cell from inspection). Looks like keeping the height in the 10" range should be ideal. If I run an external fuel pump, thinking a sump pickup would be best? Otherwise best to keep it in the tank? Maybe the low height wont matter either way....

:beer:

Fortunately for me in Texas my 1992 YJ is exempt from emissions. My stroker motor makes between 500-600hp. I have been looking at the Holley in cell setups

Fortunately for me in Texas my 1992 YJ is exempt from emissions. My stroker motor makes between 500-600hp. I have been looking at the Holley in cell setups

Holly crap man...... everything is big in Texas! :grinpimp:

Well crap... a little more progress. I cut the wheel wells, trying to avoid a straight comp cut (no particular reason than to be different), but clearance will trump all else. Finished the frame cuts and added some weld area to the root attachment. Getting ready to square up and tack the side frame to rear bumper. Considering tying the coilover mounts into the roll bar, which means I'll have to address that structure sooner than later. Considering motobilts YJ coilover mounts for this. Fuel tank/cell is still undecided..... I did decide that the rear seat is no longer in the plan and that other than fuel the rest of the space is dedicated to trail gear.

IMG-0674.jpg

IMG-0675.jpg

IMG-0681 (1).jpg

IMG-0679 (1).jpg

Well crap... a little more progress. I cut the wheel wells, trying to avoid a straight comp cut (no particular reason than to be different), but clearance will trump all else. Finished the frame cuts and added some weld area to the root attachment. Getting ready to square up and tack the side frame to rear bumper. Considering tying the coilover mounts into the roll bar, which means I'll have to address that structure sooner than later. Considering motobilts YJ coilover mounts for this. Fuel tank/cell is still undecided..... I did decide that the rear seat is no longer in the plan and that other than fuel the rest of the space is dedicated to trail gear.

IMG-0674.jpg

IMG-0675.jpg

IMG-0681 (1).jpg

IMG-0679 (1).jpg

Man I feel like you might have owned my Parts YJ at some point lol whole things Covered in black bedliner too lol

Attachments

• PXL_20231205_161513987.jpg
    PXL_20231205_161513987.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 8
Whatever you do, don't use an RCI or similar aluminum fuel.tank. They tend to crack and leak over time no matter how you mount the damn things. Been there, done that and do not recommend. I started using Jaz Pro Sport poly fuell cells with the metal cans and have had no issues with those.

Top Back Refresh