What's new

Welding in the Covid World

ChiScouter

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I have to have a mask on at work all day long. In the old days I seldom wore a mask for welding or grinding, I have found that I get a lot more crap in my nose and taste in my mouth wearing the paper or cloth anti covid masks than when wearing none. So when welding or grinding I have started using the Miller LPR100 and like it a lot more than the older 3m with the pancake looking filters. The miller actually makes it feel like you are breathing chilled air. My helmet was the top of the line speedglass with the big window around 10 years ago. I have adjusted it as far forward as I can but it still rubs on the filter. I am thinking it may be time to start thinking about a new helmet. I have been using a 1.5 or 2.0 cheater in the current helmet. As my eyes are getting older I don't see the puddle as well as I used to cheaters or not. My helmet has a setting for grinding but you have to take the helmet off so it kind of defeats it, I would really like to be able to go from grinding to welding with minimal fuss. I have no interest in bargain bin helmets.

Any recommendations?

Look at Optrel. I absolutely love mine. Little button on the outside for switching between welding and grinding..................no need to remove the hood or even flip it up. And you can see colors through them.

Cyberweld carries them.

If company will pay, get a fresh air supplied hood. Not sure if any have an external grind button.
I never had a problem with the 3M respirators and flat filters. They have one that the exhaust valve is at the bottom and also had a flip lever thing as kind of a quick release to be able to talk to someone too. Kinda camlock-ish

I wont while welding cause it fogs everything up.

I use the 3m 7502 that exhausts down, works pretty well except for when it is cold out, but it still fogs less than with nothing on
was meaning to get the full facepiece one that looks like a gasmask, as the incoming air goes through the lens chamber, then into the mouth area
but have stopped doing outdoor welding for the most part

one thing that really sucks is that whenever wearing one most of the day I end up breathing through my mouth, makes my throat hurt

have you looked into a temporary retirement? A combination of too much forced overtime and the mask bullshit got me to realize I could take a couple years off pretty easily.

Im about 30years short of "retirement" i e been at this job less than a year. They like me and want me here but if i went away they would be a lil shorthanded but prob not give a fuck otherwise.

Not sure if that part was ment for me or op.

[486 said:
;n217223]
eh, just in general
27, btw

ETA: I keep forgetting that people have kids and loans and such

Im 29...no kids, no debt other than on my house (could pay it off). Why on earth would i retire for a few years now and kill my career advancement in a fantastic field? It doesn't make much sense. I plan to be able to retire at 40 if i want, or move my consulting to be part time for play money. I like my job so have no intention to stop any time soon. If you like nice things and not relying on others "retiring" for a few years at 27 does not seem smart to me. It negates your ability to do long term investing.

f you still have to work, then i would rather my nice easy stable job than odd jobs or hustling. Now if you took a temporary retirement to fix up your rape shack and increase its value.....then you're investing and my statement is moot:flipoff2:

Im 29...no kids, no debt other than on my house (could pay it off). Why on earth would i retire for a few years now and kill my career advancement in a fantastic field? It doesn't make much sense. I plan to be able to retire at 40 if i want, or move my consulting to be part time for play money. I like my job so have no intention to stop any time soon. If you like nice things and not relying on others "retiring" for a few years at 27 does not seem smart to me. It negates your ability to do long term investing.

f you still have to work, then i would rather my nice easy stable job than odd jobs or hustling. Now if you took a temporary retirement to fix up your rape shack and increase its value.....then you're investing and my statement is moot:flipoff2:

not saying burn any bridges or anything
plenty of people move around from place to place just about yearly, I left my previous place that I'd been at for 9.5 years, hell the owner cried when I gave him notice, no doubt I could get my old job back pretty easily, if not he'd have good things to say to the next place

back on topic;
torch glasses, went through (broke and lost) my last two pairs of them in the last couple weeks
seems the only ones you can get now are the gay "cool dude" looking ones, everywhere seems to be outta stock on the ones that fit over your glasses ("visitor glasses" style)
seems they shifted all production over to clear lens ones and forgot that people actually do things involving an actual need for eye protection rather than as a talisman to be used to ward off the hypecold19 fairies
finally ended up just getting new elastic for my ancient pair of the style that holds a standard fixed shade glass lens

[486 said:
;n217852]

not saying burn any bridges or anything
plenty of people move around from place to place just about yearly, I left my previous place that I'd been at for 9.5 years, hell the owner cried when I gave him notice, no doubt I could get my old job back pretty easily, if not he'd have good things to say to the next place

back on topic;
torch glasses, went through (broke and lost) my last two pairs of them in the last couple weeks
seems the only ones you can get now are the gay "cool dude" looking ones, everywhere seems to be outta stock on the ones that fit over your glasses ("visitor glasses" style)
seems they shifted all production over to clear lens ones and forgot that people actually do things involving an actual need for eye protection rather than as a talisman to be used to ward off the hypecold19 fairies
finally ended up just getting new elastic for my ancient pair of the style that holds a standard fixed shade glass lens

You wear torch goggles? Fuck I just run with my WileyX shades. :laughing:

You wear torch goggles? Fuck I just run with my WileyX shades. :laughing:
I really like my night vision
actually went to the effort of finding a #7 fixed shade to use with the plasma, too. Old guy at the welding store was confused when I brought it to the register, didn't think he had anything between 5 and 9 in the dusty old set of drawers that the lenses are kept in.

Top Back Refresh