What's new

Welding extension cord reel

Duc

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
ABQ NM
I really have to many projects going at one time but this is something that has been bothering me for awhile.

Started off running into this video

I went looking for a welding cord reel premade but with a price of $2,000+ for low end units, I decided it would be worth trying to build one first.

Found the slip ring on amazon instead of the special website. Cheaper at other websites.
1683594893910.png

I had a older hose reel that would be perfect for the conversion but first I had to purchase a new dewalt unit to replace it. Hose was starting to show its age anyways. Dewalt unit seems good.
1683595026301.png

On to the fun.

2.5in or 2.25 exhaust pipe is pretty well for holding the electrical slip joint.

exhaust pipe.jpg

cap placement.jpg

Fit check on the slip ring. Next time I would machine a cap with threaded holes instead before welding onto the end. Had a bitch of a time getting the nuts on the backside.
fit check.jpg

Poor donor reel
Hole reel.jpg

Centering the setup. I didnt put the effort into cutting off the brass fitting.
Center.jpg

I need to get some electrical crimps for joining the wires. Each wire is "suppose to be 30 amps" so I joined two together for my amperage. 6 wires while I only have 3 wires in the cable.
Temp wiring.jpg

I really need to cover the holes I put in the sheetrock for the electrical panel.
setup.jpg

More to come in the next few days. Maybe I should borrow a flir camera to see how the cord looks while I weld.

I mean, strictly based on cross section, doubled up #12 should be able to handle 30 amps.

Depending on SOOW or SJOW, #10 is good for 25 or 30 amps.

Cross sectional area of #10 5.26mm^2 and #12 is 3.3mm^2 so 2x #12 would be 6.6mm^2, which is greater than #10. I'd be curious what a clamp meter around a single one of the paired up wires shows during a heavy draw.

1683668661514.png
1683668682889.png

Only concerning thing is those wires don't look like copper in the amazon pics.

71QDEHM2HKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Great idea, and I am addicted to reels. Have 8 different ones in the shop. But, this one scares me a bit.

I didnt put the effort into cutting off the brass fitting.
it just unscrews, held onto the center axle of the reel with a little nugget of 3/8-16 allthread
take the circlip off and you can put new o-rings into it, if you've got one that leaks

I was expecting this to be for a stick welding whip, then confused I saw the 6 wire slip ring then figured you're gonna parallel all 6.

This should be interesting. :homer:

I just need to stop creating projects for myself. But it does get old dealing with a 50ft cord in the garage.
I mean, strictly based on cross section, doubled up #12 should be able to handle 30 amps.

Depending on SOOW or SJOW, #10 is good for 25 or 30 amps.

Cross sectional area of #10 5.26mm^2 and #12 is 3.3mm^2 so 2x #12 would be 6.6mm^2, which is greater than #10. I'd be curious what a clamp meter around a single one of the paired up wires shows during a heavy draw.

1683668661514.png
1683668682889.png

Only concerning thing is those wires don't look like copper in the amazon pics.

71QDEHM2HKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Welding cord fall into a weird spot since they dont run power constantly but I did find another slip joint for cheap that might work better. Most welders are rated for a low duty cycle. Max draw on a miller 252 is 48 amps at 40% cycle or 42 amps at 60%. I cant remember the last time I had the welder cranked to make burn rate.

Slip Ring

225 amps which I dont believe but at least 6 gauge wire
1683679792111.png

Now there is a chance to upgrade to a aero-motive slip ring for $200+ or just buy a whole reel.
Great idea, and I am addicted to reels. Have 8 different ones in the shop. But, this one scares me a bit.

Just need your wallet open to get the good ones. I would buy one if I could get one for less than $600 shipped.
probably aluminum, chyna's fynest

it just unscrews, held onto the center axle of the reel with a little nugget of 3/8-16 allthread
take the circlip off and you can put new o-rings into it, if you've got one that leaks

If I switch slip rings out then I might try.

If I was stupid and bored then I would try to machine up a sexy one. Had a few thoughts on the drive home but might be better to just buy one

I picked this one up last year on FB because it was stupid cheap. I was hoping I could do the same thing with it....but found it was only 12/4 when I got it home. I believe it came off an overhead gantry crane.

x8ZNUhDIkXe6CNhoYthXRDD=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

I picked this one up last year on FB because it was stupid cheap. I was hoping I could do the same thing with it....but found it was only 12/4 when I got it home. I believe it came off an overhead gantry crane.
look at its insides, in might just be strongue inside

strongue enough for 10/2 with the contacts doubled because who grounds anything anyways

FYI I run my welder off of a 10 AWG extension cord I made 20 years ago... max amps on my Lincoln Mig Pak 15 is 22 amps apparently. Never tripped the 30 amp dryer circuits I used to plug into with another adapter I made and then my cord with the 6-50R/P ends. It's not "right" but it works. I just posted in the shitty weld thread yesterday using that exact cord LOL

FYI I run my welder off of a 10 AWG extension cord I made 20 years ago... max amps on my Lincoln Mig Pak 15 is 22 amps apparently. Never tripped the 30 amp dryer circuits I used to plug into with another adapter I made and then my cord with the 6-50R/P ends. It's not "right" but it works. I just posted in the shitty weld thread yesterday using that exact cord LOL

Most of my welder cords or 10/3 or 10/4 that I "found" at work many, many years ago. I already have it and it works. It does get a bit warm when we push the duty cycle of the little welder.....like doing the final welding on my buddy's SAS, but never trip the breaker or get too hot to cause me concern.

look at its insides, in might just be strongue inside

strongue enough for 10/2 with the contacts doubled because who grounds anything anyways

When you start getting in to those kinds of angry pixies, I wouldn't want to be ungrounded. :eek:

welding rigs have their leads done up like this all the time. they use plastic washers to isolate the the current from coming in contact with the reel.

Cool project. I thought it was going to be like my welding cart. It’s just a big cleat that I have to manually coil up the cable as I roll the cart. It’s kind of a pain. This is a much better idea.

Finally finished this thing off at the new house. The reel has been a blessing the 2 times I have welded some projects at the new garage.

Welding Reel.jpg

No way a 50ft cord is 80lbs 🤣. My extension cord is 150 feet of 6/3 SOOW and it's maybe 40lbs

Top Back Refresh