What's new

Welding .080" Aluminum?

barrelroll

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
Idiot me wants to try building an 8' aluminum boat to see if idiot me wants to build a bigger (20-24') aluminum boat to replace our current aluminum boat. The plans I'm looking at use .080" aluminum and probably require welding somewhere in the neighborhood of 24' of .080" aluminum sheet together either in a butt or t joint. I have a millermatic 211 and would buy the spool gun for it, the spool gun does not support .023" wire and will only run .030" and .035" wire. How much am I going to hate welding this much thin aluminum with a spool gun? It's been years since I've attempted to weld aluminum. If it was .080" steel I wouldn't be worried.

Welding that thin will not be an issue once you get it set-up. Changing the tiny fucking spools out every 10 min will get old though.

A push pull gun is way better but way more $$$$$$$

nothing says you have to stick with .080" alumiunum, first time... i'd go thicker for sure.

also if the idiot in charge thinks building a 20-24' boat is in any way similar to a 8' boat. he'd be wrong, well other than the fact that the end goal is for it to float.

if your in AK a boat that thin is a throw away that will cost way more than just buying one. i'd go at least 10ft and no thinner than .120". even better yet go after one of the mini jet boats. i'd bet you get a better education and be able to sell it for more than you have into it when done. even if you sold it as just a welded hull.

but really, you need to have the discipline to learn before starting a project. if you dont but still convinced you have to give it a go, try building a small .080" alumiunum fuel tank. baffles, and all. pressure test it and use it. if that leaves you wanting more then consider building a small boat

Looking at a dixi dinghy for now and then possibly something from specmar and order everything cut/ bent and glue it together my self. I'd really like a set of plans to knock off a hewescraft ocean pro 220 or similar. The next big boat is going to hurt the wallet but considering there's 0 wheeling I have to have something to occupy my time.

also if the idiot in charge thinks building a 20-24' boat is in any way similar to a 8' boat. he'd be wrong, well other than the fact that the end goal is for it to float.

Please explain, my understanding is if it's 4' or 40' the forming, layout, ect. is the same principal. I all ready have a dinghy. This would just be a practice project. I definitely plan on getting dialed on scraps before attepmting to weld hull seams, if I h. Going with .125" is an option though my thought is if I can get .080" down 3/16" and 1/4" should be no issue.

Please explain, my understanding is if it's 4' or 40' the forming, layout, ect. is the same principal. I all ready have a dinghy. This would just be a practice project. I definitely plan on getting dialed on scraps before attepmting to weld hull seams, if I h. Going with .125" is an option though my thought is if I can get .080" down 3/16" and 1/4" should be no issue.

it was half a joke, but...

if you think 4' or 40' is the same learning, and if you can weld 080 that 3/16 and 1/4 are easy. your wrong.

Look around on the you toob. Some mfrs put up videos of the build process. All are kind of similar in terms of the skin of the hull but big boats have heavy duty stringers and transoms . An 8ft boat is only rated for a couple hundred pounds and a small motor, so building a 24ft boat for 2000lbs of gear and a 200hp motor then all the extra storage compartments, livewells etc need to be thought out very carefully.

North river https://youtu.be/kLpnitQERm0

Ranger boats https://youtu.be/w3i5M2sn814

if you think 4' or 40' is the same learning,

They're the same other than being able to cut more corners on the 4'.

There's no reason you can't build a 4' like a 40' other than all the extra labor. If you're trying to design for lightest weight that's basically what you wind up doing.

Top Back Refresh