What's new

Weight Distribution Hitch recommendations

kman1967

Member Number
Loc
Aptos, CA
Equalizer, hands down is the best I have used. I had the round bar curt with the chains and separate sway control. It did it's job, but after towing with the EQ I could not believe I was pulling the same trailer... big difference. I will say the design is similar on all three you have listed, and my only experience is with the EQ in this design. If you can take the time to make sure your hitch is set up correctly and your weight balance is correct (I had to move two cases of water to the back of the trailer and move a few tools I was carrying to the rear as well), proper set up and weight can't be fixed by a hitch.

My only problem is the EQ hitch is heavy, like stupid heavy. The trunnion bars do not taper and if you have to move it around often you will wish they made a lighter one!

Why not just install rear air bags and call it good or move the rig back on the trailer to lessen the tongue weight?

Why not just install rear air bags and call it good or move the rig back on the trailer to lessen the tongue weight?

Neither of those puts more weight on the steer tires. Not enough tongue weight with a similar tow rig to trailer weight is a recipe for disaster.

​​​​​I'd like to try a WD hitch myself. I've heard even on a heavy truck they can make a big difference.

I am pretty sure they all do the same job, just get on craigslist and get a used one, they are way too expensive new.

I will take a look at the Anderson and Blue Ox.

SLOWPOKE, Ive thought about air bags and readjusting the load, but like Yota mentioned, I think proper tongue weight is important with a 1/2 ton tow rig.

Thanks all

I parrot the advice I got on the old site like 10 years ago...

"Equal-i-zer - they just work."

I don't use mine any more because my newer truck has enough ass that I don't even feel the trailer, but on my old 1/2 ton, it made all the difference in the world.

I thought all these new 1/2 tons had very high towing ratings, I am shocked that it is only rated for 500lbs tongue. Is it an issue with the hitch itself being undersized? I have used the 30 year old school round and square bar styles and always wondered what the supposed differences were between them.

I thought all these new 1/2 tons had very high towing ratings, I am shocked that it is only rated for 500lbs tongue. Is it an issue with the hitch itself being undersized? I have used the 30 year old school round and square bar styles and always wondered what the supposed differences were between them.

When equipped with a specific combo of packages/options. Then payload is usually limiting way before getting to that tow rating.

Most 2” hitches are rated to 500 lb tongue weight unless used with a WDH, then it goes up.

When equipped with a specific combo of packages/options. Then payload is usually limiting way before getting to that tow rating.

Most 2” hitches are rated to 500 lb tongue weight unless used with a WDH, then it goes up.

This. I think most of the need for weight distributing hitches is the lack of front end weight on a modern truck. My ‘19 F150 has an all aluminum 5.0 and aluminum body, not a lot to counteract tongue weight. Plenty of brake, rear axle (9.75”), and power for decent towing, but the front end is unloaded fast with tongue weight. In my case it doesn’t help that it’s a 122” wheelbase, but most have 145” crew cabs.

OP: I like my Curt MV, pretty cheap and works well. Not everyone likes the chain style, but I prefer that I can quickly adjust the tension for the trailer empty vs loaded. I have a different color zip tie on each link, and can loosen or tighten it in about a minute.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Curt/C17052.html

I use an Anderson on a couple work pickup / trailer combos, and it’s also easy to quickly adjust the tension, but twice the price.

Another vote for buying whatever used hitch you can find cheap. They're all so much better than nothing you'll likely be satisfied with whatever you get. You can kinda tell that's the case because every idiot is acting like a fanboy of whichever hitch they happen to have.

I'd echo the compliments for the Equalizer. I ran an Equalizer with a 1/2 ton pulling a heavy 28' travel trailer cross-country through the mountains. Ran into 50mph winds and a lot of terrible conditions--the hitch was amazing. I've used other weight distribution/sway control hitches--none come close.

I’ve only used the Reese Dual Cam/Strait-line hitch with built-in sway control and couldn’t be happier with it.
It’s designed to stop sway from starting as opposed to controlling sway after it starts.

Top Back Refresh