What's new

Web design/hosting for a dumbass

MuntCuffin

Upgrayedded user
Member Number
Loc
Farm lands and horse's asses
I'd like to make a website and it appears the domain is available.

never made a website before. I'd like to make the website as immune as possible to censorship, so that eliminates aws and WordPress right off the bat.

any ideas? I'm sure there's fellas here that are smart with all this pooter stuff.

also not shitting on the idea of not hiring a web developer, but I have no idea on cost and I don't want to get fucked over...

new territory for this fucktarded mongoloid :homer:

Last edited:
I've been a software developer for over 20 years most of that working on one website or another. I could create a 100% custom website that does exactly what I want, but when I decided to create a blog (Home | Michael (wixsite.com)), I just went to WIX and used one of their templates to create a site. Unless you're building a site that needs to be custom because of "business requirements" just go with one of the free ones, try out https://wix.com and see if one of their templates work for you. I'm using a free account because I don't care about the URL; to use your own URL requires one of their paid plans.

Edited to add: Paying someone else to build a site for you will be pricey unless you're looking for someone's 16yo working out of mom's basement. When I did side work my rates ran anywhere between $100/hr (basic HTML/javascript) to $200/hr (fully architected solution using cloud technologies, web-services, web-functions, etc...). Even a pretty basic site would take at least a day (8-10hrs) to do. I built the site for my non-profit (In His Own Image) from scratch and have between 40-50 hours in it (it also contains administrative pages that are hidden from the public which account for about 1/2 of the hours).

Last edited:
When I made my consulting companies website last year I used square space. It worked pretty good, relatively easy to use and I didn't want to dick around with wordpress plugins and updating shit. Would recommend.

I used Squarespace. Simple information, no forums, no social anything, no retail, so it worked fine. It does dynamic whatever for different devices. It uses my custom domain, hosts pics, and integrates Gmail. $18/mo.

The free builders mentioned above are going to be the way to go...sadly these days, you won't find anywhere that won't take shit down if it's even mildly offensive, so might be a waste of time.

I've been a software developer for over 20 years most of that working on one website or another. I could create a 100% custom website that does exactly what I want, but when I decided to create a blog (Home | Michael (wixsite.com)), I just went to WIX and used one of their templates to create a site. Unless you're building a site that needs to be custom because of "business requirements" just go with one of the free ones, try out https://wix.com and see if one of their templates work for you. I'm using a free account because I don't care about the URL; to use your own URL requires one of their paid plans.

Edited to add: Paying someone else to build a site for you will be pricey unless you're looking for someone's 16yo working out of mom's basement. When I did side work my rates ran anywhere between $100/hr (basic HTML/javascript) to $200/hr (fully architected solution using cloud technologies, web-services, web-functions, etc...). Even a pretty basic site would take at least a day (8-10hrs) to do. I built the site for my non-profit (In His Own Image) from scratch and have between 40-50 hours in it (it also contains administrative pages that are hidden from the public which account for about 1/2 of the hours).

^^^ This

as immune as possible to censorship
Pretty vague...

it appears the domain is available.
buy it now, figure out hosting later

You don't say what you are trying to do with your website.

If you aren't hosting the hardware your self, you are going to be at the mercy of someone.

I've been doing code since the old BBS days:eek: I prefer to tinker with my own rather than let someone else do it. In my opinion, websites are largely layout and not coding... think Word document. OTOH, I don't like over the top busy gadgetty websites that provide zero info:flipoff2:

Buy it from who? It appears to be unclaimed.

Never wait to buy a domain. Its $15 or whatever a year. Even if you sit on it the cost is minimal. All it takes is one person on a domain spree and all of a sudden it costs you 10-100x that.

For hosting just choose one of the various hosting companies - for a basic site there are hundreds, including many not US based and therefore unlikely to comply with BS political stuff. Then either install a content manager or hire someone (who will probably install a content manager). Remember if its a business and you are relying on search terms that you will need a mobile version or you suffer a google penalty. Also for a business you will want a site that meets the ADA crap, otherwise you will eventually be sued by one of the troll law firms.

If you hire someone - either go with a known firm or if using an individual get lots of refs and settle on a progress payment system. Web programmers may be even worse than 1 man contractors about taking the money and getting to busy/drugged/etc and running off.

Whatever you do make sure the page scrolls endlessly, with zero actual content and the PDF that you link to with the critical information is missing or has the wrong file extension. You have to meet current internet standards.

Buy it from who? It appears to be unclaimed.

any domain registration service.

GoDaddy is a few bucks more, most web devs don't care for them, but to their credit they are a big company that can offer a lot of support a lot of diffrent ways for people just getting into the web. Don't buy all the extra shit they try and sell you at checkout.
https://www.godaddy.com/

After a quick Google search ...
https://www.namecheap.com/ is only $8.88/yr

There are a ton out there ... and most are really just reselling GoDaddy services.... either of those two should help.

Top Back Refresh