What's new

Weatherby SA-459 no cycle

Dan's EB

Not so junior
Member Number
Loc
Chandler, AZ
I picked up a Weatherby SA-459 at a pawn shop the other day. Looked really nice, clean and no scratches. Later when I took it out to the desert to shoot it I discovered it would not cycle.
Didn't even budge the bolt. I figured there was some latch or button I don't know about that keeps it from cycling. I have an old 22LR that acts as a single shot depending on the position of the bolt lever thingy.
I googled the issue and found the piston can be changed for light loads or heavy loads.

Am I missing anything. I took it apart and it has the heavy load piston in it. I pulled the O-ring from the barrel and it looks ok.

I'm thinking on getting a new light piston and a new o-ring and see what happens. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Dan

I assume since you shot it you can cycle it by hand. Is it smooth, any thing feel rough? Make sure everything is lubed properly. I know its a completely different animal but I have a franchi AL48 that wouldnt cycle 2-3/4 bird loads. It cycled fine by hand and with heavy loads but the tube was dry enough the compression ring wouldnt slide with low brass. Few drops of oil and it was smooth as silk.

You’re correct on the light/heavy piston. I have 12 gauge and 28 gauge SA-08’s (same gas system) and the 12 gauge will not cycle clay loads with the heavy load piston in it. Call Weatherby and they should be able to get you the parts for it. If yours has the black plastic magazine follower they have an updated red aluminum one for it also.

Great guns, but they need the clean and lube along with the correct piston. 2-300 rounds they need a carbon clean and fresh oil and grease.

If you want a flawless gas system the beretta blink system is it. I'm not sure you can ever get it dirty enough to stop, and it'll cycle everything with zero messing around.

Top Back Refresh