What's new

Warn 8274

I’ve also got a 8274, it’s probably 40 years old and works perfect. Are these the benchmark for winches?
Theres a reason a lot of ultra 4 racers run gigglepin winches which are just modified 8274’s. See post #40 do that and enjoy. Warn claims they pull 10k with those mods.

Theres a reason a lot of ultra 4 racers run gigglepin winches which are just modified 8274’s. See post #40 do that and enjoy. Warn claims they pull 10k with those mods.
Thanks, I'm thinking the new motor is the new permanent magnet motors like the newer starters, smaller and more powerful.
I use my 8274 on my car trailer, whatever you hook that cable to it's pulling it on the trailer flat tires and all.

Which is ironic because they dont have nearly the reduction nor the hp.

Thwy are the mopar posi of the winch world.
I’m not arguing because I don’t know what you are comparing, what is a better winch in terms of those specs you listed? An m8000?

BUT.... I sure like the Zeons, they are work horse for sure and their rope tie point on the drum kicks any other low-profile winches out there.

Yeah. I keep 2 and extra cables. Where i live on the lake it takes lots of line to keep from getting burried in the same muck as the idiot did.

If i was willing to chop up a 8274 id have the wide spool.

The 8274 is just a cheap knockoff of the Ox Superwinch, which is clearly superior :flipoff2::stirthepot:

Not sure if the Bellview came before the Superwinch, but I have a pair of them from the 70s that have taken an ass kicking. I do love the 8274 on the front of my IDI though :smokin:

Are the motors interchangeable between the bellview and the 8274? I have one of each, was considering putting a warn 68608 motor from the 9.5xp on the 8274. Be nice if I could then throw the 8274 motor on the bellview. Although I should just leave it alone since it works just fine.

Are the motors interchangeable between the bellview and the 8274? I have one of each, was considering putting a warn 68608 motor from the 9.5xp on the 8274. Be nice if I could then throw the 8274 motor on the bellview. Although I should just leave it alone since it works just fine.
No. The bell views have the gear and shaft as one piece, and different size. Also the bearings are different sizes, and depth. I have machined spacers for later 1972-74 model warn 8200’s to take newer motors, but not the power-in only bellview.

I’m not arguing because I don’t know what you are comparing, what is a better winch in terms of those specs you listed? An m8000?
I’ve got 7 winches, an 8274 being one. It’s my second favorite. The Superwinch Talon 9000 SR is faster, stronger, quieter and obviously more compact, much cheaper than an 8274-50.

There is no brake inside the drum on the Talon so it doesn’t drag in either direction. We don’t dog them out to free spool. It spools out a little faster than you walk and SW has awesome wireless remotes. So we let whoever is spotting run the winch since they can see everything better than the driver and can stay clear of the vehicle letting the driver only worry about the vehicle.

Top Back Refresh