What's new

Vehicle Lift Outdoors?

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
Just browsing FBMP and I see this:

123054724_365921261279789_6673182765195215293_o.jpg

How terrible of an idea is this? I have plans for a 30x40 shop, but I have some major work before that can ever realistically be built. Between clearing a few dozen trees, stumping, fill, etc then the ~$80k (guessing) its not on the radar. But just having a lift makes thing a million times easier. But, its going to be buried in snow and attacked by the elements. These lifts able to survive outside?

I don't see why not. Keep the moving parts lubed, the rest is just steel.

I might build a little "roof" over the power unit just because....but I think the motor is a sealed one anyway.

I see it all the time with little tire and exhaust shops.

I'm sure the lift won't last as long as it would inside, but it'll still probably outlive you.

I'm interested in this as well. My Current garage is built right up to the minimum distance to my property line, but I currently have a paved parking space between the garage and property line, and it would be perfect for an exterior lift.

I've only seen it at the rat-iest of shops here in the AZ desert where it rarely rains or gets below freezing.

At a minimum, shoot for a small roof over the entire mechanism. Cables and Hoses are inside a trough across the top that will hold every leaf and flake of snow for a long time to eat away at everything. The cylinders are also upright with the seals for the cylinder at the top for everything to land on. Plus the power unit since they warn of sticking control switch on a hydraulic motor.

But if you want to expose the unit that's holding an entire vehicle over your head to the elements 24/7.

My 2-post has been life-changing and I actually finished a project after getting it (inside) this summer.

Been thinking about adding a roof off the side of the shop and moving my lift under that, takes up way too much room inside. But if I'm going to that much work, might as well just enclose it all in to make a third bay.

I've worked a few places with outdoor lifts here on the rainy side of Washington, they worked fine as long as you keep up on greasing everything, protecting the electrical box wouldn't be a bad idea either.

mmk. this looks like the plan then. price out a slab. See what that will run me. I know the concrete for a 30x40 shop will be running in the $20k range. But that'd be a real foundation. This outdoor deal can be a slab. Just sucks, because simple things like swapping tires is a major pain in the ass with a dirt/gravel driveway.

maybe even get back to flipping shitboxes for a little while too.

This is my rack. I put a corrugated panel on top of the rack. Hopefully keeping it dry as possible.
It is long over due

photo29767.jpg

photo29768.jpg

A neighbor has his outdoors, but this is Sac so we don’t have weather.

I have a 4 post lift I want to install outside in front of the shop so I can pressure wash underneath vehicles and do quick oil changes and other fast jobs without bringing them into the shop.

Works down south. I know exhaust shops that the lifts have been outside for as long as I can remember.

What snowback cold weather salty shit you deal with is another story. If you have the coin for a slab and a lift, some red purlin and corrugated tin is the cheap part.

. If you have the coin for a slab and a lift, some red purlin and corrugated tin is the cheap part.

Any idiot can pour their own slab for less than a grand if they're willing to get some buddies to do the concrete work. Building a structure for that kind of money requires either years of stockpiling materials at a discount.

Thats not a typical building material found in the Northeast, so its not all that cheap when you find it.

Any idiot can pour their own slab for less than a grand if they're willing to get some buddies to do the concrete work. Building a structure for that kind of money requires either years of stockpiling materials at a discount.

Clearly I'm accustomed to an entirely different pricing structure.

My neighbor has a 4 post outside. Bucket over the pump. Going on ten years. He might use it a few times a year.

There are more than a few outside lifts here, and it rains a decent amount. Don't hear many issues, however most I see are 4 posts. Only thing I see with the cost of the concrete adding one of those prefab rv covers or carports would be a drop in the bucket more

now I'm thinking about doing this
I got a few in ground hoists from work for free, may as well jam one in the ground with about a 10' square slab...
Might even be able to do it before winter. Probably actually end up with a big hole in the ground just in time for it to get full of a huge block of ice, haha

[486 said:
;n180364]
Might even be able to do it before winter. Probably actually end up with a big hole in the ground just in time for it to get full of a huge block of ice, haha

I think somehow we may be related. :laughing:

I heard :flipoff2: you'll never get the hydraulic unit to push the oil when it's really cold out.

They go up fine. Takes foreverrrrrrr to come down though. :laughing:

I think it's a fine idea, just grease it and maybe add a drain holes where needed. And put the pad somewhere useful so it won't be needing demo when the shop goes up. Also don't be cheap, put some rebar in it.

Top Back Refresh