What's new

Vacuum Cleaners - Whatcha got that works?

71PA_Highboy

An Unknown but Engorged Member
Member Number
Loc
Near the Triad, Lookin' at the freeway
Not a shop vac or this would be in the proper forum... :flipoff2:

So, I have 'oriental' rugs and hardwoods,

Neither of the vacs i have seem to be doing a good job, but good enough to look like they are working.

Looking for a quality vac that will CLEAN the rugs.

What are you or your sandwich maker using on your rugs with good results?

Never buying a new one again, they are designed to fail.
You want a good one, take a look at a hotel and what the maids use. Those old and heavy types are best.
Hit garage sales and thrift stores. Get one that's 30 years old and it will work perfect and run forever.

I have a Dyson super suck 400 or some shit.. it’s ok, handles like a dream but nothing special about its cleaning abilities.. GF thinks it’s a shop vac and treats it as such, which means I work on it a lot. I actually have a “parts vacuum”, just like most of you would have a “parts truck” out back. I don’t care as long as don’t have to run it..

My advice, burn the rugs and use compressed air/ leaf blower and a shop vac.

I bought a corded Shark Duo Clean at Costco earlier this year. Self cleaning brush, it does carpet and hard floor. Easy to take apart and clean, does good as far as suction/cleaning goes. Bedrooms and basement are carpet, remainder of upstairs is laminate flooring with some decoration mats in living room / dining area.

Wanted something light and not bulky.

If you want clean, get a Bissel or Hoover carpet cleaner...not just a vacuum.
This. Something that uses water will work way better than a straight vacuum. I have a bissel crosswave pet something or other that I bought for cleaning hardwood floors and it doesn't do a great job at that but rugs it's awesome.

My wife swears by her miele canister vacs. They do a really good job on the rugs and hardwood compared to the most expensive shark we used to have. I just hate how bulky it is with the trailer you gotta pull around with you.

Edit: this is the one she has now.

My wife swears by her miele canister vacs. They do a really good job on the rugs and hardwood compared to the most expensive shark we used to have. I just hate how bulky it is with the trailer you gotta pull around with you.

Edit: this is the one she has now.

$1200 :eek:

I've got whatever $50 Bissel that Walmart sells.

I've used real commercial vacuums back when I was a janitor and always have an eye out for one but frankly the POS I have does fine and unless you have a bunch of big clear carpet spaces to clean they're kind of clunky.

I have a Shark robot at work. It sucks. And not in the way it’s supposed to.

We use Roombas and cordless Dysons at home. Our oldest Roomba works best but the newest Dyson outworks its predecessors.

Electrolux with power head. Ours is a hand me down that is about 40 years old, still going strong.

Was watching a guy scrapping electronics in austrailia

All of their vaccuum cleaners have an auto-retract cord reel integrated.
Ours used to, or at least my mom's had one. What the fuck happened?
cheaper/easier/faster/more reliable/better to just design three plastic hooks on the case for the consumer to wind it around.

Was watching a guy scrapping electronics in austrailia

All of their vaccuum cleaners have an auto-retract cord reel integrated.
Ours used to, or at least my mom's had one. What the fuck happened?
The Miele one we use has a retractable cord. I had to replace the cartridge once tho.

you're part of the problem

do not excuse this bullshit
everyone with sense would pay the extra ten bucks of manufacturing cost
Says the guy who is vehemently against hose rolls. :laughing:

IDK man. I like my manual hooks to wind around.

you're part of the problem

do not excuse this bullshit
everyone with sense would pay the extra ten bucks of manufacturing cost

Problem is shitty manufacturers would only spend three of those dollars on the mechanism and it would fail as they all do.

I use a 20 year old Hoover fold away with a busted cord hook so now the handle has to stay up to hold the cord.

I picked up a hoover battery thing 3 weeks ago. Onepwr Blade...It was on sale at half price. Seems alright. :homer:

I bought this because I was tired of replacing belts on the uprights. Easier to pull than push, and the cord rewinds itself. The head does clog, but I think that is because the uprights were so bad at cleaning.

Bissell Powergroom Multicyclonic Bagless Canister Vacuum - Corded - 1654​

Problem is shitty manufacturers would only spend three of those dollars on the mechanism and it would fail as they all do.
simples, eventually they can't sell a vacuum that has a reputation for poor quality
oh wait clown world

See also, then you just drill a hole and bypass the slip rings in the reel, wrap up the cord as you are forced to with shitty vacuums from the start

simples, eventually they can't sell a vacuum that has a reputation for poor quality
oh wait clown world

See also, then you just drill a hole and bypass the slip rings in the reel, wrap up the cord as you are forced to with shitty vacuums from the start

I had to google yosi’s vac, he said cartridge made me think they dumbed down replacing the mechanism to the way one changes a cassette.

Look we can’t make it reliable but we can make it easy to change :lmao:

We have a Dyson, I hate that POS feels like the handles going to break off. We got a Roomba for a Christmas gift a few years ago and I finally deployed it in our open floor plan carpeted lower level. Pretty sweet, I don't use any of the scheduling features because I won't let it access my wifi, but it cleans and I don't have to, and I figure I need some good will with our future robot overlords.

Top Back Refresh