What's new

V10 rv/bus chassis ? Anyone know anything?

Speaking of V10s, have any of you had trouble with one pinging at higher RPMs? Say over 3500 or so?

I bought a 2004 E450 Class C last year with around 75K on it. Power is decent and about what I expected, but it pings pretty bad and I can't figure out why. Just did new plugs (they were worn, but otherwise looked ok), cleaned the MAF, and checked for vacuum leaks. Tried some 91 octane. No change. It doesn't have EGR, so it isn't that plugged up. No codes set, according to Forscan.

I've seen pinging brought up a bit in the RV forums, but no magic fixes. One said to cycle battery power to "reset" the PCM, which makes his pinging go away for a while. Didn't work for me. A few say that theirs has always pinged and to just ignore it. I just can't do it.

Any ideas?

that sucks, can you install an EGR system? :laughing: it'd probably help.

my 460 just pulls timing when it pings so much that it damn near won't move. Traffic stopped on a decent uphill grade, and it was all it could do to get moving again :rasta:

Speaking of V10s, have any of you had trouble with one pinging at higher RPMs? Say over 3500 or so?

I bought a 2004 E450 Class C last year with around 75K on it. Power is decent and about what I expected, but it pings pretty bad and I can't figure out why. Just did new plugs (they were worn, but otherwise looked ok), cleaned the MAF, and checked for vacuum leaks. Tried some 91 octane. No change. It doesn't have EGR, so it isn't that plugged up. No codes set, according to Forscan.

I've seen pinging brought up a bit in the RV forums, but no magic fixes. One said to cycle battery power to "reset" the PCM, which makes his pinging go away for a while. Didn't work for me. A few say that theirs has always pinged and to just ignore it. I just can't do it.

Any ideas?

Are you sure it's spark knock?
my 2016 V10 had belt slap, the run of the belt on the drivers side was just so long that the belt would slap.
There was a boss on the front of the head, I added another idler pully and that ended that.

Are you sure it's spark knock?
my 2016 V10 had belt slap, the run of the belt on the drivers side was just so long that the belt would slap.
There was a boss on the front of the head, I added another idler pully and that ended that.

I did just that last week after seeing a post about it somewhere. New belt, tensioner, and added the second idler pulley. It did eliminate a different sound at lower RPM, but it's still doing it at the higher RPM. It sure sounds like spark knock to me, but who knows.

I realized tonight that HP Tuners will log data from it, even though it doesn't support editing for my year/model. Figure I'll try another test drive this weekend to see if its showing any knock retard when I hear the pinging.

the obdlink ex cable is $50.
forscan on a laptop lets you see pretty much anything and datalog anything you want.

Speaking of V10s, have any of you had trouble with one pinging at higher RPMs?

We rented one to chase the 1000 one year. That poor thing pinged all the way down the peninsula and all the way back. We beat on it like the rental it was, never skipped a beat.

Figured I'd update this, in case anyone else ends up chasing down a pinging V10 in the future. I just figured out today that the cat was plugged up. Back pressure maxed out my 15 PSI gauge easily under a light load. It's much happier now. No more pinging and way more power.

I don't think the PCM in this thing cares what the engine is doing. I never did see any indication that it was pulling timing, when it was obviously pinging like hell. I also drove it several miles with the driver side O2 sensor removed, so i could connect the gauge. No check engine light and Forscan isn't showing any codes.

Top Back Refresh