What's new

USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6, is on fire in San Diego right now.

Nah. Even if that happens, it's way too early to speculate on that. It's not WWII, the Navy doesn't just throw ships in the ocean. If it's a total loss, it would be too damaged for a SINKEX to be worth much (no data on damage because of all of the fire damage), and you can't just throw entire ships out in the ocean anymore, there are regulations. etc etc etc

It looks to be abated quite a bit, and they will have to re-enter the ship to get it under control, no matter what SDFD says. The Chief seems to be talking out his ass.

I can't seriously believe the USN would allow that ship to burn itself out. They're spraying water on the hull to prevent tempering.

I was told from some of the big heads they were just gonna let it burn out. Not sink it.

crazy either way.

It occurred to me that the last puff of black smoke could have been some of those storage containers filled with flammables. They will do that during an SRA, get all of the greases and oils up out of the ship and put them on the pier, or in the case of a big deck ship, on the flight deck.

More and more about SRA is coming back to me, that's exactly the kind of things that they do.

The crew was probably on that berthing barge (miserable too), so there should be no bedding either, or at least most of the berthings should be devoid of flammable materials.

This will be occupying a lot of my Navy interest time in the next 18 months or so as the investigations go on, and it gets talked about all over the naval interest community.

Man, if only the USN had checked with the noob for proper procedures. They should have known an armchair fuckstick half a continent away would know what to do.

I was told from some of the big heads they were just gonna let it burn out. Not sink it.

crazy either way.

It is crazy.

They will have to get in there are some time as if they keep pumping water in to it, it's going to affect the stability of the ship. So I can't see how they can abandon the whole thing.

Firefighting water was a big part of the reason some of the Battleships at Pearl Harbor sank, not to mention the Normandie, which capsized at her dock in WWII (sabotage fire).

Man, if only the USN had checked with the noob for proper procedures. They should have known an armchair fuckstick half a continent away would know what to do.

Yeah because armchair quarterbacking happenings is something that only fucksticks do. Only fucksticks have opinions.

I try to keep the quality of my quarterbacking at an acceptable level. I'm sorry if you don't find it interesting.

From Everboob's post.

This is a 40,000 ton, 843 foot long aircraft carrier that also carries Marines and their landing craft. It is an All-in-One strike force. Usually combat ships are not loaded with ordnance while in port, or have a modified and reduced loadout, but that is not guaranteed.

I guess you didn't bother to read that.

I missed that:homer:

News briefing;

"1,000,000 gallons of fuel below the fire at this time."

Currently at the beach, I can make out the area of hazy smoke 10 miles away...

RADM Sobeck, Commander Expeditionary Strike Group 3, presser:

VERY reassuring after that civilian scanner feed earlier. I feel that he's showing an aggressive position on the fire. They have teams from other ships in the basin, they have agent on the fire, they have boundary control and the fire isolated, they have monitoring equipment up.

The fire is above the fuel tanks. There is no ordnance on board.

We're absolutely going to make sure it sails again.

Last edited:
My exp with shore power is that they are the most un-maintained, raggedy assed pieces of shit, but because they are so big and robust, there was never a problem with them.

I took the statement to mean everything from the shore-power hook up to the connections from there to the ship's mains. But given the state of shore power cables (busted up insulation, cracks, etc), it's usually not a problem sitting there on deck, even in the rain. If it was loose paper and poor practices involved, I could see a Class C getting out of control. Heads will goddamned roll though, that's negligent as heck.

I know at my yard (subs) checking the shore power connections with a FLIR is part of the electrical operator's log pack. That being said the non-nukes are in charge of them, so that's always a crap shoot.

I know at my yard (subs) checking the shore power connections with a FLIR is part of the electrical operator's log pack. That being said the non-nukes are in charge of them, so that's always a crap shoot.

That could very well be, I don't remember it. I just remember having to lug those heavy sumbitches around and getting black soot all over your clean dungarees.

The FLIR check would also be after the USS Miami fire in 2012? I know they changed all kinds of yard standards and regulations for subs after that.

Full confession: I'm actually embarrassed that they abandoned ship. Because that's what just happened. I hope they are just recalling everybody to re-enter the vessel and put it out.

If they just let it go, I'm going to get my pipsqueek ass in gear and try to get some accountability. Leaving the vessel to burn is absolutely unacceptable afaic. I am not a hero. You don't just let your ship burn up. This is a scandal.

You'll see a lot of similar sentiment in days to come.

Don't give up the ship.

If they lost power and had no DC fire pumps I could see the order to GTFO. Bad situation.

A million gallons of fuel.. fuck. I wonder what will happen if that ignites?

Could be interesting, we put a 44gal drum of jet fuel at the bottom of a bonfire one Guy Fawkes and it didn't explode but it did vent out the bigger hole in the drum. Made plume of fire about 20ft high :eek:.
If they can keep the fuel cool the and the fire above it they will be good (much easier said than done though)

If they lost power and had no DC fire pumps I could see the order to GTFO. Bad situation.

The material condition of a ship in SRA is atrocious. There are air lines, air ducting, electricity cables, and other lines running through water-tight and fire-boundary doors. The AFFF and Halon systems were tagged out. There is only a small crew on board, the crew was disembarked to the berthing barge. This is a terrible DC situation but that is addressed by changes in the DC posture of the ship's FF teams. Or should be.

Last edited:
Give n00b a bucket... :homer:

You will see my statements and sentiments widely reflected in the coming weeks over this disaster. Especially from Navy sources who are close to the scene or in Command.

There is widespread social media disinformation going on from hostile sources (Russians and Chinese), as well as a media blackout from MSM, of course. This is compounded by hysterical statements from people working on the scene.

The military needs to get a hold on social media. This is also a security concern now.

You will see my statements and sentiments widely reflected in the coming weeks over this disaster. Especially from Navy sources who are close to the scene or in Command.

There is widespread social media disinformation going on from hostile sources (Russians and Chinese), as well as a media blackout from MSM, of course. This is compounded by hysterical statements from people working on the scene.

The military needs to get a hold on social media. This is also a security concern now.

Are you outing yourself now?

even nukes doing logs is a crapshoot if it was done or actually "done". 🤣

Top Back Refresh