What's new

Useless things about your day!

so I've been dealing with low oil pressure for a long while, finally did some experimenting with oil viscosities
all pressure numbers are after 50 miles with the cruise control set at 75 (about 2500 rpm)
5w30 "the AMS soil" some ancient shit that got left at the shop, made 16 psi, had about 150 miles on it
5w40 T6 with 400 miles on it, 18 psi
20w50 supertech walmart's finest (it's actually pretty reasonable at 16 bucks for 5qt, not terrible when compared to most of the 20w50 that you see around intended for motorcycles and such) 20 psi, with 60 miles on it

so, not nearly as much difference as I expected
they made a smaller oil pump driven sprocket for a later engine derivative. I got one on the shelf and it'll be going in at some point in the near-ish future

Won a lever action 22 at the Sportsman Club tonight.

1000012902.jpg

Found a tape measure that has been hiding for nearly a year. I like it and missed it, well, moved a box that was on top of a bucket in a shed. Tape was in the bucket. :smokin:

Why is it special, has measurement on one edge and then half the distance measure on the other. Makes it math free to find the middle of whatever is being measured.

IMG_7659.jpeg

Found a tape measure that has been hiding for nearly a year. I like it and missed it, well, moved a box that was on top of a bucket in a shed. Tape was in the bucket. :smokin:

Why is it special, has measurement on one edge and then half the distance measure on the other. Makes it math free to find the middle of whatever is being measured.

IMG_7659.jpeg
Snap-On came out with one of those 20 years ago? I loved it too got doing layout work, it could also confuse the shit out of you in the right circumstance :lmao:

IMG_7659.jpeg

Those must have been on clearance at Grainger about 13 years ago because our shop was sending us those every time we asked for a tape. It was annoying as hell when all you needed was an engineer scale tape and had to teach people who had never used a tape before why that side didn't matter.

IMG_7659.jpeg
You mean you don't fold a regular tape in half? :laughing:

I'll often do that when my brain turns off.

You mean you don't fold a regular tape in half? :laughing:

I'll often do that when my brain turns off.
I haven't done that, but I'll measure the same amount from both sides & know dead center is between my 2 scribe marks. If you go short or long by a calibrated smidge, you can center your saw kerf to get exact halves without remembering which side of 1 line is the cut side (OCD warning :emb:).

swapped out the fan clutch on my Ram this week. Also added the Banks Intake elbow kit to do away with the killer grid heater bolt.

holy shit I had no idea my fan was so fuggin loud. I have owned the truck since 2018 and 40k miles. Truck now has 133k on it and the fan has always sounded like a fuggin Cessna prop trying to pull it. lol

Between the fan clutch unlocking like it's supposed to and getting rid of the stock elbow and half clogged grid heater she's got a bit more git up and the Lie O Meter is claiming about a 2mpg increase just in the 40 miles I have driven it. :smokin:

Last night I smelled plastic from the house AC vents so I shut it off at the thermo, looked over the unit outside to ensure nothing was on fire, and Homer-walked back inside to plan. Went up there today and found that the base model Eaton 60A disconnect had begun deleting itself. Killed the breaker at the panel, stared at the melted disco a bit, cleaned the coil/housing and came inside to find replacement bits. There is zero evidence of trouble on the rest of the unit, so there's that. I think the lugs were no longer tight, as it looks like a typical loose connection sort of overheat.

I plan to grab a switch type disco and put a 60A breaker in place of the switch. And yeah, make a mental note to check the disco lugs each time I go up to clean the Bakersfield air out of the coil.

Last night I smelled plastic from the house AC vents so I shut it off at the thermo, looked over the unit outside to ensure nothing was on fire, and Homer-walked back inside to plan. Went up there today and found that the base model Eaton 60A disconnect had begun deleting itself. Killed the breaker at the panel, stared at the melted disco a bit, cleaned the coil/housing and came inside to find replacement bits. There is zero evidence of trouble on the rest of the unit, so there's that. I think the lugs were no longer tight, as it looks like a typical loose connection sort of overheat.

I plan to grab a switch type disco and put a 60A breaker in place of the switch. And yeah, make a mental note to check the disco lugs each time I go up to clean the Bakersfield air out of the coil.
Had that happen on mine and I just deleted the disco. IMO that's a code compliance part not a needed part.

Had that happen on mine and I just deleted the disco. IMO that's a code compliance part not a needed part.
Heck it might not even be code for me since the house is from 1980. I know the lack of one wasn't noted on the inspection when we bought the place in '08.

My AC guy (decent fellow) told me it was a good idea to have one with a roof AC so I installed it. I thought it felt a bit cheesy when I picked it up. Really, it seems to only make life easier if you're already on the roof and decide you want to disconnect the unit for repairs. Aside from that it does well as an extra point of failure. lol

Heck it might not even be code for me since the house is from 1980. I know the lack of one wasn't noted on the inspection when we bought the place in '08.

My AC guy (decent fellow) told me it was a good idea to have one with a roof AC so I installed it. I thought it felt a bit cheesy when I picked it up. Really, it seems to only make life easier if you're already on the roof and decide you want to disconnect the unit for repairs. Aside from that it does well as an extra point of failure. lol
I put one as a service entrance sorta deal on my pump shed since it was about the cheapest weatherproof enclosure there was
think it was like 12 bucks

man
fuck bare root trees
this shit sucks, I'm dying

finally go to dig a trench in the yard to dump the rest of them in real fast because I can't keep them at the 40f needed, I can do 55 and I can do frozen
anyways, boob**** decides the fuel pickup wants to be on the bottom of the tank AGAIN
then when I get the lawnmower tank plumbed on there it decides that it now has a seat safety switch which it has never had
I can't even find where the wiring originally was from when the PO deleted it

just fucking fuck me with a rake

I put one as a service entrance sorta deal on my pump shed since it was about the cheapest weatherproof enclosure there was
think it was like 12 bucks
For the price they're pretty handy. And you can pop a small lock on to slow down lazy crooks if need be.

You sound like you are having a bad week
fixed
I'll get over it
I won't learn a fucking thing, but I'll survive to make the exact same mistake again, possibly in slightly different circumstances but even that ain't any kind of guarantee

Which end up? :laughing::flipoff2: When it rains it pours, even little things just add up and up.
the sharp end, for extra canadian flavor

fixed
I'll get over it
I won't learn a fucking thing, but I'll survive to make the exact same mistake again, possibly in slightly different circumstances but even that ain't any kind of guarantee
That's the spirit- eh its all anyone can do... I feel like I ran into the same wall today that I found not that long ago, need to mark that fucker in the gps to avoid it next time.
the sharp end, for extra canadian flavor
Which end is sharp on a rake....or does one not want to know ha ha

I tried to do the adult thing and sold my Gladiator to give us a bigger cushion when we bought a piece of property. The property didn't work out and the less expensive Wrangler I bought engine blew up 2 weeks after we bought it.:homer:
I didn't care for the Wrangler and fortunately the dealership I bought it from took it back on trade for another Gladiator. It was still an expensive bunch of fuckery but it could have been a lot of money towards a Jeep I didn't want. It was a 2.0 turbo, I won't be buying one of those again.

Top Back Refresh