What's new

Used oil storage

From my experience, HEUI and high pressure systems dont like it. IDI, 12v, and the like seems to benefit from it.
'46/71 hybrid' is the guy to ask on that one
he's done it more than anyone else I've run across on here

I ran shit loads of waste oil through my old 7.3. Usually about 30% oil mix. I would let it settle in the drum for a week or so. Had a floating pick up and a 10 micron filter. Zero issues.

I don't get nearly as much waste oil now, but what I do goes through the TDI. Same set-up.

'46/71 hybrid' is the guy to ask on that one
he's done it more than anyone else I've run across on here
Didn't he haul an IBC tote on a trailer with him when he went on road trips?

Didn't he haul an IBC tote on a trailer with him when he went on road trips?
haha yup

I'd just toss a 5 gallon bucket in the tank next time you fill up, screen it through whatever to catch junk bigger than the fuel pickup tube
fuel filters really do the rest of the work

the nastiest slime like gear oil, metalflake glitter and oil/water milkshakes still go to the recycler

the nastiest slime like gear oil, metalflake glitter and oil/water milkshakes still go to the recycler
After prepping the race truck once I decided to run the 250W swepco gear oil through the old 7.3. Holy fuck did that shit smoke even at 20% mix. Took 2 tanks of strait desiel before it cleaned out. After that it went to the recycler.

So Ive been running the used oil through my dt466e's, about 3.5-5 gallons per maybe 30-40 gallons of fuel.

im using a small metal screened filter for garden hoses for filtering. Using an m18 pumo attached to the filter to move the oil.

I am at a truck yard and could get a fairly decent amount of used oil. Should I look into getting some barrels and filters and running it mixed 1:5 waste oil to diesel? Or its not worth the headache and just run my own shit to get rid of it?

We burn probably ~100 gallons a week. 4/gallon here avg. so figure 85-100 bucks a week saved, but, how much time and can it harm injectors?

I ran hundreds of gallons of wmo in my 12v. I’m fairly sure it’s what killed the original engine. Most likely piston rings got coked, stuck and went downhill from there.

dilute it a lot or make damn sure it’s filtered as best as you can.

I ran hundreds of gallons of wmo in my 12v. I’m fairly sure it’s what killed the original engine. Most likely piston rings got coked, stuck and went downhill from there.

dilute it a lot or make damn sure it’s filtered as best as you can.

well shit, thats no good. scratch that idea then.

Attachments

• 6ABAC634-3AC7-4961-B0D9-14CED63A2D8F.jpeg
    6ABAC634-3AC7-4961-B0D9-14CED63A2D8F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
How Do I Mix Used Motor Oil with Diesel Fuel?
Simple System Turns Waste Oil Into Diesel Fuel

You need an old 6.9L/7.3L Ford, or a 80's Toyota/Mitusbishi/Isuzu/Nissan/Jeep with a mechanical engine to burn it up.

Old friend of mine used to run unfiltered:homer: reclaimed transmission fluid he got from the Ford dealer he worked for about 150,000 miles on a 1991 7.3L xcab until their "enviromental officer" wanted a paper trail for where the fluid was going. It had about 120,000 on it when he started doing it. Plugged a couple fuel filters, but he'd run 80 reclaimed/20 diesel in the summers. Oh, and it was hard on glow plugs too.

piston.jpg
that ain't from stuck rings, that's from a fuckton too much fuel for the amount of air you were moving
your video doesn't seem to be working, its just dark with no sound

oil is shit quality fuel, it does coke everything up real bad, so you need to beat the absolute piss out of DI things that are running on it. IDIs (all manufacturers, not saying int'ls or VWs only here) don't actually seem to care too much as the precups get hot enough in normal use to solve the coking and the injectors are very tolerant of abuse.

I had an old 12V that I ran on progressively more motor oil as time went on. Probably got close to 30-40% oil on some tanks. I ran my own oil out of my other cars, poured it into clean containers etc. I didn't do this year round or real consistently. But when I had a few gallons of oil I'd throw it in.

What I noticed is that as time went on it seemed to smoke more and more....all the time. It could have been other issues for sure as the truck was worn out. I do think there is some connection though.

I recently bought exactly the same truck as a pampered uber low mile 89. Even though it has about 20% of the miles it is lower on power for sure even though it is relatively low mileage.

Never had any direct issues with the waste oil, ran good, was quiet. But....I won't be doing that in my new truck.

Top Back Refresh