What's new

Upgrading Th400

Peter S

Member Number
Last race we burnt our Th400 gear box.
I should have changed more between hi and low gear but thats to late now.

now we should rebuild. Last time the th400 was build with this kit.
HUP-HP2288KX

Are there better options ?
I was thinking on this maybe ...

Do we need new torque converter ?

We have a LQ4 with arround 500HP ( stage 4 btr cam, cnced ls3 heads ,... ) th400 gearbox and an lt 230 transfercase 1.6 hi gear and 3.2 low gear. and 5.38 in the dana 60/14 bolt axles
41 inch tyres.

289355201_10228547930347115_1348288752335805393_n.jpg

Not an expert...Hughes has a good reputation. Monster not so much. And I would be inclined to change torque convertor because of junk getting in it and being damn near impossible to clean.
Have a link to those tires?

Not an expert...Hughes has a good reputation. Monster not so much. And I would be inclined to change torque convertor because of junk getting in it and being damn near impossible to clean.
thats why i asked. What i read the hughes kit is really good, but maybe there was a better kit on the market.
The th400 isn't laying on every corner in belgium so i want to do it good.

I'd spend $200 on a filtration setup before I spend $200 on a torque converter because the filtration setup will save you from buying more torque converters (and other parts) next time this happens. 99.99% of what's floating around should be harmless friction material anyway.

If this was a stock rebuild in the states where these things are a dime a dozen I'd throw a converter at it.

I'd spend $200 on a filtration setup before I spend $200 on a torque converter because the filtration setup will save you from buying more torque converters (and other parts) next time this happens. 99.99% of what's floating around should be harmless friction material anyway.

If this was a stock rebuild in the states where these things are a dime a dozen I'd throw a converter at it.
filtration setup as in a filter inline with my cooler ?
Or a filtration setup to flush torque converter ?
Torque converter is a "build" one with a stall arround 3000 rpm
more Specs of the torque converter i dont have, but this is what the seller when i bought the car said.

A different rebuild kit will not make your TH400 last or not.

Just don't beat the shit out of it in high range. Pay a lot of attention to your temperature.

Just re-use the Hughes one because it's a good kit and you know it works.

Now if you want hard parts to reinforce it that's something else, but again, I know of people with the wrong gear ratio who burnt through 10k+$ trans builds before addressing the problem.

If you want to not change your converter every time you rebuild the trans, you could get a bolt-together unit and take it apart / clean / rebuild it when needed.

i totaly know this is a derail, but how can we get them tires????

Importing a container of them from the manufacturer in Italy is probably the only way that's going to happen and with them being for a 16" wheel I don't see all that many people here wanting those.

i think the easiest cheapest way is genius tyres on face book thats the orriginal, they had a supplier in the states.
If thats not an option, if there is enough request i can always see to make a shipment...

filtration setup as in a filter inline with my cooler ?
Or a filtration setup to flush torque converter ?
Filtration after the converter and before the cooler or filtration after the cooler and before the return to oil pan.

You're racing and it's only a matter of time until you waste more clutches so you may as well be prepared for that eventuality.

Filtration after the converter and before the cooler or filtration after the cooler and before the return to oil pan.

You're racing and it's only a matter of time until you waste more clutches so you may as well be prepared for that eventuality.
Agreed. External filtration will go a long way towards keeping the next trans alive.

can i install this als filter for the trans ?

Then i can share parts with my steering

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 9
I don't see why that wouldn't work as a trans filter if you are currently using one as a steering filter.
  • Grade 6061 aluminum construction
  • Rated flow: 8-10 GPM
  • 50% filtration efficiency (Beta2): 1 microns
  • 99.9% filtration efficiency (Beta1000): 23 microns*
  • Inlet ports: two -10 ORB (o-ring boss), includes plug for spare inlet port
  • Outlet port: two -10 ORB (o-ring boss), includes plug for spare outlet port

this are the specs. i don't know how the flow and pressure of a trans compare to a steering system

Pressure after the cooler cant be a problem i assume

can i install this als filter for the trans ?

Then i can share parts with my steering

Edit : Sure

Pressure after cooler is no good. Put the filter before the cooler.

Trans will move 8 gpm roughly at full tilt.

Edit : Sure

Pressure after cooler is no good. Put the filter before the cooler.

Trans will move 8 gpm roughly at full tilt.
Do you think the -10 ports are too big for trans lines?

Maybe adapt them down to -6 or possibly -8 depending on the size of his lines and cooler ports now?

oh yeah for sure.

AN-6 is the way.

I have the same filter and housing, it has ORB-10 ports, so a ORB-10 to 3/8 JIC should be easy to find.

Best DIY kit I know of is Jakes Performance. Specify that it is for off-road so the mods and the parts are correct.
There are still more mods you can do, you just need to do the research to determine that they work for off-road. Following advice from road and track guys will lead you in the wrong direction.
I am adding a remote trans filter before the cooler.
I would replace the TC or have it cut, cleaned, and rewelded if it’s a good one.

Your tranny lines are probably pretty short. For desert trucks that have a lot of line we bump them up to -8 to cut down on pressure drop. Upping the trans fittings is pretty easy.

Filter before the cooler. Need to have your cooler flushed by someone that knows what they are doing before reusing. Might look at aircraft places.

I have an 8 lines and i have arround 3Meters between transmission and cooler.

Wil order the hughes kit and a new torque converter.
I found the kit at Jegs and was thinking about ordering these tc unit

Jakes performance doesnt sell/ ship to europe...

Running a race rig with a Jegs street converter doesn't sound like an ideal setup to me.

Running a race rig with a Jegs street converter doesn't sound like an ideal setup to me.
its not an ultra4 race rig but indeed, not a trail rig.
What do you suggest, on the site van jegs is that the one they propose for th400 and that stall

Call PTC or Hughes, have them build you one following your specs.

Hughes makes some really good bolt together units. Easier to restall and refresh.

GM101BT.jpg

to be honest, 1800 dollar for a torque converter is not my budget :(
Thats 2500 euro or more when in belgium

Top Back Refresh