What's new

Ujoint wtf!???

NDCjeepsmith

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
SW Mo
So not a yota guy but two of my brothers are. I'm doing maintenance on an 04 tacoma. I've done jeep ujoints before in a vise. These were damn near seized in. Had to put it in my 20T press and it required A LOT of pressure. Then of course the loud bang when they let go and all my spacers get shaken off the press frame.

New ones are going in easy enough but only about halfway. I've broken two caps so far on two different joints in two different locations. One busted proper and one went in after a pop and I found the face of cap had cracked.

Why are these things so hard.. too hard obviously or they wouldn't break. Shouldn't they press in easily enough with a vise just like any other joint???

And yes, the circlips are out

It's not a jeep and the tolerances are actually tight:flipoff2:. Toyota u joints suck dong because the yoke ears are not flat so you can never get the cap to go in straight.

Aisin is also right, make sure you aren't using some parts store crap, OEM only on these as they are damn near industructable compared to parts house.

They're moog 387s...

The uneven ears do suck. I used one of my swag finger brake fingers and a toothed "V" for pipe out of my vice for stand offs and the difference in thickness was almost perfect. But it took so much pressure that the ear on the finger piece deformed the edge of the damn finger.

The joint slid between both caps by hand so I don't think any needles were causing a bind but I did have to press both ends, so all 4 caps out separately. Should they come out with only one side off like others I've done?

Think the ears are pressed in from a previous install gone wrong?

So not a yota guy but two of my brothers are. I'm doing maintenance on an 04 tacoma. I've done jeep ujoints before in a vise. These were damn near seized in. Had to put it in my 20T press and it required A LOT of pressure. Then of course the loud bang when they let go and all my spacers get shaken off the press frame.

New ones are going in easy enough but only about halfway. I've broken two caps so far on two different joints in two different locations. One busted proper and one went in after a pop and I found the face of cap had cracked.

Why are these things so hard.. too hard obviously or they wouldn't break. Shouldn't they press in easily enough with a vise just like any other joint???

And yes, the circlips are out

completely normal for Toyota ujoints...

Tweaked ears from previous install plus caps out of spec most likely. There is a reason OE joints last 30 plus years.

I have always changed toy u joints using a hammer and socket. I've never had any trouble... after I remember to remove the clips. Also, as already stated, Matsuba joints.

Any part #s for the matsuba joint on 04 taco, SR5, 3.4, 4x4, Xtra cab?

All I'm seeing is 05+ at TG, yotamasters, etc.

Top Back Refresh