What's new

Ugly Duckling

Wilson

Newb
Member Number
Backstory: I picked this samurai up from a friend 5 years ago for $300. It was sprung over/ yj swapped, on 33’s, locked F/R and had a 4.xx case in it. All cylinders were under 100 psi and one was 45, but it ran and drove… so F-it. I tried taking it wheeling but the stock carb ran like shit. I added a 3k, power steering, X3 seats and a 6.xx case over the summer of 2018.

October of 2018 I swapped the 4.xx case back in and let a friend take it deer hunting. This was fortuitous because on November 8, 2018 a fire wiped out our entire town and claimed my Lj, two flatty’s and my wife’s UZJ100. The Sami was safe in another town.

I bought a built jk and have pretty much exclusively wheeled it for the last 4 years. I let YotaAtieToo borrow it a couple of times and in the spring of 2019 he built me a badass 99% chromoly cage for it and we made a deal to get another 6.xx case in it. I took it on one trip in June of 2019 and other than that I’ve used it like a sxs around my property and on a Little Rock pile that I built. Having this thing for 5 years makes this the longest that I have ever kept a rig!

This past weekend I went wheeling with a longtime wheeling buddy and he said “bring the Sami.” So I swapped in some LED lights from tractor supply, a little Bluetooth speaker and had an absolute blast. After unloading it, my 9 year old daughter said that she wanted to drive it around to where we park it, so she got her first lesson driving a manual.

I’m not sure exactly where this thread will go, but I am inspired to do a couple of things to this rig to make it hit a couple targets; stay light weight, better “road” gearing and to fit in my toy hauler.

Attachments

• 70629545499__C700B1D8-9448-4F15-854E-A5837845B3F2.jpeg
    70629545499__C700B1D8-9448-4F15-854E-A5837845B3F2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8211.jpeg
    IMG_8211.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8221.jpeg
    IMG_8221.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8222.jpeg
    IMG_8222.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8227.jpeg
    IMG_8227.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8231.jpeg
    IMG_8231.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
A couple short videos, tractoring uphill, then having more fun on the way down

Attachments

• IMG_8226.mov
    18.1 MB
  • IMG_8229.mov
    30.8 MB
the paradise fire? is your toyota in utah on display? he had a few that were in that fire on display. i cant remember exactly what fire though.

I wonder if he's talking about the male nurse that hauled a bunch of people out in his white tundra? It got burnt just enough to turn brown in some spots. Toyota gave him a brand new truck and requested his to display somewhere.

I wonder if he's talking about the male nurse that hauled a bunch of people out in his white tundra? It got burnt just enough to turn brown in some spots. Toyota gave him a brand new truck and requested his to display somewhere.
I think Toyota put it in their US headquarters

It’s nicknamed Marshmallow and it travels around but spends a lot of time in Plano at Toyotas HQ.

After unloading it, my 9 year old daughter said that she wanted to drive it around to where we park it, so she got her first lesson driving a manual.

and now shes has a skillset none of her peers will have

ut I am inspired to do a couple of things to this rig to make it hit a couple targets
just dont fall down the rabbit hole, keeping things simple always maximizes the effort to fun ratio

Top Back Refresh