What's new

U.S. 50, lonliest highway

I've driven that stretch of 6 just once but 50 through Nevada about a dozen times. 6 had nobody in comparison. Now I do 15 and head North at Barstow. Or at least I did until my Parents in San Jose both passed within a couple years of each other.

Not to mention driving I80 through Nevada numerous times from even before the interstate bypassed all the towns.

I did that in the early 1970's when I was stationed on the USS Ranger at Alameda and drove to the parents house in Wisconsin. It was mostly 4 lane (2 each way) until you got to a town, then city street with stoplights. I did like the sign on the way out of town that said...……………….. End Speed Zone. :flipoff2:

I did that in the early 1970's when I was stationed on the USS Ranger at Alameda and drove to the parents house in Wisconsin. It was mostly 4 lane (2 each way) until you got to a town, then city street with stoplights. I did like the sign on the way out of town that said...……………….. End Speed Zone. :flipoff2:

Even my Dad was annoyed when the Nixon era 55 MPH national speed limit ruined that drive.

I haven't been there in a while but there were a couple places off I80 between Salt Lake City and Wendover that had to have been the inspiration for The hills have eyes. They made Tonopah look like a ritzy day spa.:eek:

Beowawe

Edit: Glad your back and healthy Mr Fossil

Top Back Refresh