What's new

TX to take on Google next

Imagine working your whole life to grow your business, making smart decisions, beating out your competition, gaining swaths of investors who believe in your future and rising to the pinnacle of success, only to have the government; whom helped and supported you in the first place, tell you you've done too good of a job.

If a private citizen doesn't support what a business is doing, then that citizen doesn't have to patronize that business.

Sorry but that's not whats at stake here. I did work in our family business from the age of 9 all the way to running it for the last 32 yrs. but my company didn't try and effect the outcome of an election by suppressing information.

[486 said:
;n227790]

I dunno how to feel about anti-monopoly shit.

on one hand it is the government doing government things, always a recipe for shitty solutions
on the other, if a company is able to control the flow of information as much as the ridicu-big companies now are able to, what other form of recourse do we have?

:rolleyes:Murder

Imagine working your whole life to grow your business, making smart decisions, beating out your competition, gaining swaths of investors who believe in your future and rising to the pinnacle of success, only to have the government; whom helped and supported you in the first place, tell you you've done too good of a job.

If a private citizen doesn't support what a business is doing, then that citizen doesn't have to patronize that business.

Large grocery store chains aren't allowed to buy out competitors without government meddling, why should Google and FB get a pass? I don't like double standards.

Yeah, that's all well and good until you become so big and powerful that you wield your influence like a weapon. Look at what google and facebook are doing. They hold 99% of their market, and now that they've gotten into politics, they are censoring people. It's the same if amazon delivered 99% of goods and walmart was out of business, and they decided to not deliver to trump supporters because now that Bevos is the richest person in the world, he now cares about power instead of money. Oh you want to order that blanket on blankets.com? Sorry, UPS doesn't deliver to registered republicans because Amazon will use Fedex if they do.

I can sympathize with that sorta shit, but once a company is google's size is it really someone's baby anymore? I just can't bring myself to care much about someone with rockefeller type influence when it's at the expense of a bunch of smaller business owners. Going back and reading that sentence I just typed out inspires a kneejerk response in me but...

Doesn't need to patronize a business. Well, if they're the only game in town yeah they do need to patronize that business.
Like how amazon has been advertising out the ass for higher minimum wage, because they're already heavily automated so it doesn't really hurt them near so much as all of their competition.

normally I'm pretty far in the libertarian direction, but shit like this, roads and utilities and a few other things inherent in modern society just aren't something that I can get to mesh with that too well.

Last edited:
[486 said:
;n228289]

that doesn't work out when there's only a couple "reprehensible terrorists" every year and there's thousands of people (to misquote the g-man from HL) "deserving of a rest"

Well that's incredibly obvious. :rolleyes:
My post was definitely sarcastic:laughing:

Sorry but that's not whats at stake here. I did work in our family business from the age of 9 all the way to running it for the last 32 yrs. but my company didn't try and effect the outcome of an election by suppressing information.

Its not my fault your family didn't didnt expand their business into a world wide empire, and its not google fault either.

Google did what they wanted to do, just because what they did was influence weak minds doesn't take away from the fact that if that's what they want to do they can do it. But because it doesn't benefit you, you use that as justification to have another large organization regulate them into doing what you want.

Large grocery store chains aren't allowed to buy out competitors without government meddling, why should Google and FB get a pass? I don't like double standards.

large grocery stores should be able to operate as they see fit just the same.

Yeah, that's all well and good until you become so big and powerful that you wield your influence like a weapon. Look at what google and facebook are doing. They hold 99% of their market, and now that they've gotten into politics, they are censoring people. It's the same if amazon delivered 99% of goods and walmart was out of business, and they decided to not deliver to trump supporters because now that Bevos is the richest person in the world, he now cares about power instead of money. Oh you want to order that blanket on blankets.com? Sorry, UPS doesn't deliver to registered republicans because Amazon will use Fedex if they do.

If that's what they want to do, its their business. Just like a Christian bakery should be able to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding. Just like I have the right to start a business that chooses to only provide goods and services to those who are registered republican.

[486 said:
;n228279]

I can sympathize with that sorta shit, but once a company is google's size is it really someone's baby anymore? I just can't bring myself to care much about someone with rockefeller type influence when it's at the expense of a bunch of smaller business owners. Going back and reading that sentence I just typed out inspires a kneejerk response in me but...

Doesn't need to patronize a business. Well, if they're the only game in town yeah they do need to patronize that business.
Like how amazon has been advertising out the ass for higher minimum wage, because they're already heavily automated so it doesn't really hurt them near so much as all of their competition.

If theyre the only game in town, you could open the same business and compete against them [/red]

normally I'm pretty far in the libertarian direction, but shit like this, roads and utilities and a few other things inherent in modern society just aren't something that I can get to mesh with that too well.

Modern society doesn't exist, society is always modern. It was modern in rome when they built roads and the aqueducts. It was modern in 1928 when they discovered penicillins, and its modern now. Government has been ruining it and altering it the whole time. It needs to stop.

If theyre the only game in town, you could open the same business and compete against them

Modern society doesn't exist, society is always modern. It was modern in rome when they built roads and the aqueducts. It was modern in 1928 when they discovered penicillins, and its modern now. Government has been ruining it and altering it the whole time. It needs to stop.
easy to say that,
not really feasible to put in a second set of water mains or power lines

[486 said:
;n228353]
easy to say that,
not really feasible to put in a second set of water mains or power lines

Or build and stock a mutli-thousand square foot building, then staff it and meet payroll and local ordnance's.

If that's what they want to do, its their business. Just like a Christian bakery should be able to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding. Just like I have the right to start a business that chooses to only provide goods and services to those who are registered republican.

IMO there is a huge difference between a mom and pop bakery and a trillion dollar corporation. I'm all for capitalism, no doubt, but there does need to be restraints. Youtube has 99.99% of the market for online videos, and thousands of people get their income by making videos. To just blacklist somebody (like JP sears) over politics, isn't the same as the cake analogy. The gay guy can walk down to the next shop and get a cake. WTF is JP sears supposed to do?

But, the reason for anti-trust is not to protect JP, its to stop the company from ruling people's lives (fixing prices, limiting access, etc). Or, in our day, using their 99% market to push their flavor of politics to influence elections. For capitalism to work, you MUST have competition. Once that competition is crushed, the worst of human nature comes out, just like we are seeing in facebook and youtube today. When that fails, you break the company up to keep the competition going. If you don't have anti-trust, the next step in nationalization of the business, which is how you become Venezuela.

IMO there is a huge difference between a mom and pop bakery and a trillion dollar corporation. I'm all for capitalism, no doubt, but there does need to be restraints. Youtube has 99.99% of the market for online videos, and thousands of people get their income by making videos. To just blacklist somebody (like JP sears) over politics, isn't the same as the cake analogy. The gay guy can walk down to the next shop and get a cake. WTF is JP sears supposed to do?

But, the reason for anti-trust is not to protect JP, its to stop the company from ruling people's lives (fixing prices, limiting access, etc). Or, in our day, using their 99% market to push their flavor of politics to influence elections. For capitalism to work, you MUST have competition. Once that competition is crushed, the worst of human nature comes out, just like we are seeing in facebook and youtube today. When that fails, you break the company up to keep the competition going. If you don't have anti-trust, the next step in nationalization of the business, which is how you become Venezuela.

IMO the only difference is success.

Capitalism isnt a "system" , its the lack of one. Total market freedom. If someone is able to achieve a level of success so great, that no one else is able to compete with them, then congratulations to them. That doesn't mean I'm ever going to stop trying to do what I want to do.

IMO the only difference is success.

Capitalism isnt a "system" , its the lack of one. Total market freedom. If someone is able to achieve a level of success so great, that no one else is able to compete with them, then congratulations to them. That doesn't mean I'm ever going to stop trying to do what I want to do.

No system is called anarchy. Capitalism is set up by the government with rules and regulations. To suggest that anywhere on Earth has to total market freedom is rediculous.

No system is called anarchy. Capitalism is set up by the government with rules and regulations. To suggest that anywhere on Earth has to total market freedom is rediculous.

What's ridiculous is that people are so weak and sad that they need a government to tell them how they can or can't run their business.

Top Back Refresh