What's new

Turbo 22r / re

simmons3067

Member Number
Who has turbo’ed their 22r / re?

What would you do different?

Who has turbo’ed their 22r / re?

What would you do different?

Use a different motor. 22r intake ports suck ass. Shitty rod ratio and under square. It's a fucking truck motor.

I have spent enough on them to build a couple LS's. Should have gone that route to start with.

As Toyota turbo'd these things from the factory, I'd look at what people have done to modify/correct what the factory did. Other than that, I don't have too many thoughts about it. There's better motors to turbo out there, the Toyota R series ain't broke (just underpowered) until you add the turbo of course:flipoff2:

Factory ct20 turbo is about the shittiest turbo made. The drive pressures get out of hand pretty quickly. If you want over 10psi, look for a different turbo. Unless you like 3-1 pressure ratios.

The other issue is at high rpm/flow rates the high swirl intake ports will centrifuge the fuel out the mixture washing down the cylinder wall on the intake side. This makes the rings and bore wear rapidly giving you a egg shaped bore.

I have a full bodied truck on tons and 40’s with dual cases 2.28 and 4.7

On the trail with my gearing power is sufficient. I am wanting more power for driving in town and trying to hold highway speeds. I am also in touch with reality and know a turbo 22r will never be an LS. I just hate to take a working truck and start a drivetrain swap. I have done multiple builds and to do a drivetrain swap correctly it takes a good bit of shop time and also the small details end up blowing your budget and dragging out forever.

Reactions: Clb
A turbo will be good for what you are trying to accomplish.

Holding third gear on the gravel road hills instead of bopping in and out of second gear is nice.

You are essentially waking the 22r up to be comparable to a 3rz. This also depends on how aggressive you get on the turbo build side of course.

I’m happy with what my turbo accomplishes, and that’s helping get to the trail.

I had a factory 22RET truck that I rebuilt (including new factory turbo) about 15 years ago. It was not a powerhouse by any means, but was way better than a stock 22RE. Plenty of power on the freeway and especially in the hills at higher altitude. Mine was bone stock, and only wore out in 10K miles because I had an aftermarket air filter fail and dust the engine/turbo.

I remember seeing a turbo manifold from got propane floating around awhile back. I can’t find it on there site. Was I dreaming?

I remember seeing a turbo manifold from got propane floating around awhile back. I can’t find it on there site. Was I dreaming?
No.
Maybe the manifold was for sale.

You have to phone Cary to get more information on turbos and manifolds

Retorquing the head gets old on a n/a 22r. If you dont know this go retorque your head now. A turbo will make things worse.

Do a 4g63.

Retorquing the head gets old on a n/a 22r. If you dont know this go retorque your head now. A turbo will make things worse.

Do a 4g63.
So what's the tq curve like on the 4g63t in a crawler? I've only ever driven one in a 1g Talon.

I'm looking a boosting my little buggy just for main trail sections. I'm wheeling primarily with 400+hp bouncer type rigs. I don't have trouble running obstacles with them, but I struggle to keep up on the main trail. These dudes can climb the mountain at 35-40 mph and I'm suckin hind tit or screaming my little R.

So what's the tq curve like on the 4g63t in a crawler? I've only ever driven one in a 1g Talon.

I'm looking a boosting my little buggy just for main trail sections. I'm wheeling primarily with 400+hp bouncer type rigs. I don't have trouble running obstacles with them, but I struggle to keep up on the main trail. These dudes can climb the mountain at 35-40 mph and I'm suckin hind tit or screaming my little R.
I am promoting the 4g63 cause its a 4banger designed to be huffed on.

Sounds like its time you graduated to a v fucking 8 and auto. Its WAY more fun than any 4 banger with a bunch of go slow gears.

I am promoting the 4g63 cause its a 4banger designed to be huffed on.

Sounds like its time you graduated to a v fucking 8 and auto. Its WAY more fun than any 4 banger with a bunch of go slow gears.

Past time, but I'm stubborn and cheap.

Do a 4g63.
Tap the block for 1/2-20's. Drill out the cam towers. Allen bolts torqued to spec, end of problem.

Stock head bolts are torque to yield. I would not retorque them. Minimum replace with new. Better replace with ARP's. Or if you're a cheap fucker that's handy with tools go with the first option.

Tap the block for 1/2-20's. Drill out the cam towers. Allen bolts torqued to spec, end of problem.

Stock head bolts are torque to yield. I would not retorque them. Minimum replace with new. Better replace with ARP's. Or if you're a cheap fucker that's handy with tools go with the first option.
The last 2 times i did a headgasket i did do new headbolts, they would loose at least half their torque in the first 100 miles. I used to retorque every 5k miles and something was to be had. Should have tried studs on the last one, but it was a get it together and running so i could sell it deal.

The turbo set up on my buggy was already on there when I bought it, but it is off an eclipse, and is drawn through on propane and I love it. Just a head gasket and studs on an otherwise stock 22re. I'm debating going blown through to save space as there's 10 miles of piping, but it is worlds more powerful than my other stock motors in the past. I'm a fan of turbos on tiny motors, and I don't think I'd ever run a v8 while still on toy axles.

Top Back Refresh