What's new

" Tune" to delete cats?

ridenby

Member Number
Loc
Kentucky
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.0/4L80-E Is there a store bought " tune" that will allow removal of cats ?

Pretty sure that's a click away with hp tuners.
That's part of reason of having my own HP Tuner. Useful for multiple vehicles. Worth the purchase if you plan on doing same on more of your vehicles.

Ordered from summitracing.com and purchase credit from hptuner.

With the federal smog laws and the diesel tuners getting busted/sued/fined for selling products "that eliminate federaly mandated smog equipment" regaurdless of local laws/smog requirements id be surprized if you found one over the counter.

Efi live or a local tuner is probably whats gona get it done for you.

I am thinking of exhaust replacement and saving cost of cats. Looking like a wash at this point .

If you smog, cat is needed.

You could just put straight pipe with flange for rest of time and put cat exhaust on for smog. At least should last longer that way.

If no smog, just check engine code, you can cut out cat and wrap on straight pipe. Itll appear "cat" when they use under mirror check. No code thrown with tune turning bank 2 sensor disabled.

If its HD(over 8600lb) in AZ, smog check required. No point to remove code when cat is needed

Any tuner can remove the catalytic converter trouble codes. Or you can buy tuning hardware/software and do it yourself.

I'm not sure if the catalytic converter monitor ever passed with the cats removed and the codes not flagged. That may hang you up if your state plugs into the truck for inspection.

Regardless it may be similar in price to just put a new cat in the truck then go through the trouble of deleting it. Not to mention the the legality aspect of it.

If you can do without your truck for a week or so there’s places you can send it to. Pretty quick turnaround also

Last edited:
It probably throws a code, which makes the CEL non functional for new issues.

Why do you need to tune them out? The homeless here drive around in their stolen cars with no cats just fine. :flipoff2:

i put an offroad only tune in my C5 vette to stop throwing the cat codes. Had a local guy do something similar on my Yukon, offroad use only of course. Its a checkbox or two, you can probably find a guy making some $$ locally to hit the button. Think I paid $125 or $150, met him at a Starbucks with the PCM in my hand

Expound on this.

So the parts store sells what are called “spark plug non-fouler” it is basically a 18x1.5mm spacer/adapter. Unthread O2 sensor, thread in non-fouler, thread O2 into that. It keeps the downstream O2 out of the exhaust stream enough that it’s doesn’t throw a CEL.

Generic photo.

6C5EFC7E-7EC4-4A49-80CC-058DB399260C.jpeg

So the parts store sells what are called “spark plug non-fouler” it is basically a 18x1.5mm spacer/adapter. Unthread O2 sensor, thread in non-fouler, thread O2 into that. It keeps the downstream O2 out of the exhaust stream enough that it’s doesn’t throw a CEL.

Generic photo.

I was thinking buy eight for plugs. Thank you.

I was thinking buy eight for plugs. Thank you.
I had a cylinder on a sbc that kept fouling plugs. Engine with probably 10,000 hours on it. Used a qt of oil every ~40-50 hrs.

Tried the non fouler and it caused BAD spark knock.
Ended up tossing in a hotter plug I think.

Please expand on this or provide where this gentleman can be contacted ?

Thx.

Wayne was active on the old site quite a bit. I sent my ECM to him with a check and he mailed it back to me with a new calibration. he can pretty much do whatever you request as I assume he's using HP tuners. I have the same platform your working with and I was very happy with the outcome. more power, better shifts and no down stream O2 sensors. My dad drove the truck tuned daily for two years before I started building it.

Reactions: PAE
They also make “O2 adapters“ which are the same thing, some of the non-foulers you have to drill to fit the O2 sensor into. Some of the O2 adapters are 90° if you need the space.

OMG

You don't install them on the spark plugs. You install them on the downstream oxygen sensors. It pulls them out of the exhaust stream and makes the signal look like a good cat.

I think you are punching above your belt here and should just have someone fix your truck before you do something really bad.

The other side of this is the fouler should get the cat monitor to pass which is critical for a state that plugs into your truck for inspection purposes. It may even pass visual of the inspector doesn't know what he is looking at.

I may be wrong on this but deleting the code from flagging and throwing a check engine light will keep the light off with no cats but it may not pass the cat monitor which is an issue again if your state does that. You should really avoid the terminology of tuning as that isn't what you really are doing. You are simply eliminating trouble codes.

I'd suggest researching this further.

Generic photo.

Adding info

This is for AFTER catalytic converter o2 sensor.

NOT for spark plug, any o2 sensors BEFORE catalytic converter.

Top Back Refresh