What's new

Tuesday Air Compressor Question - Old Champion

toocheaptosmoke

Dollar Save Club
Member Number
Loc
PA
I have this Champion 80 gallon compressor, circa 1953, with a 2 stage pump. There's a pedestal in between the pump and the tank, I haven't been able to find any info online about its purpose? I would think possibly some type of extra air cooler/water condenser?

DSC06724x.jpg

IMG_20230221_191947162x.jpg

There is some type of check valve poppet thing also, I've unscrewed it loosed, tapped the button with a hammer, it does nothing. What the hell?

20221217_124651x.jpg

IMG_20230221_192042848x.jpg

Air relief line?

IMG_20230425_202125470.jpg

That thing on the back of the crankcase with an air line plumbed to it is an unloader.
I work in refrigeration/with refrigeration racks at grocery stores. Can you tell me/explain the unloader for the compressor? Not seen one on a comp like this before

I work in refrigeration/with refrigeration racks at grocery stores. Can you tell me/explain the unloader for the compressor? Not seen one on a comp like this before
When it stops spinning it discharges the air between the compressor outlet and the check valve for the tank so that next time it starts it's not starting under load.

I have this Champion 80 gallon compressor, circa 1953, with a 2 stage pump. There's a pedestal in between the pump and the tank, I haven't been able to find any info online about its purpose? I would think possibly some type of extra air cooler/water condenser?

Air relief line?

IMG_20230425_202125470.jpg
In this picture, pull that plastic line off, is it oil? Or air?

To me that looks like a bearing oiler.

An air unloader bleeds off the air pressure in the compression chamber (above the piston) That allows the compressor to restart easier.

So when the compressor starts, it is rotating against 0 psi instead of 120 psi.

Without the unloader, compressors usually trip the breaker trying to start, or start up very slowly.

An air unloader bleeds off the air pressure in the compression chamber (above the piston) That allows the compressor to restart easier.

Without the unloader, compressors usually trip the breaker trying to start, or start up very slowly.

On the back of the crank like that, it's almost certainly a centrifugal unloader....but the plumbing is really confusing.

I really don't understand the copper line running off the top of that device that appear to go back up to the head right after the intake/filter. That part of the head doesn't seem like it'd be pressurized to unload.

toocheaptosmoke - what's the data plate on the back of the pump say? Any other numbers on it? That'll help get to a parts diagram more than the one on the tank.

That thing on the back of the crankcase with an air line plumbed to it is an unloader.
I would agree, the air bleeds off out the bottom cap also when the compressor stops, it has a screen/muffler on it.

Pulled the line, looks dry.

On the back of the crank like that, it's almost certainly a centrifugal unloader....but the plumbing is really confusing.

I really don't understand the copper line running off the top of that device that appear to go back up to the head right after the intake/filter. That part of the head doesn't seem like it'd be pressurized to unload.

toocheaptosmoke - what's the data plate on the back of the pump say? Any other numbers on it? That'll help get to a parts diagram more than the one on the tank.
Here's a pic of the pump data plate.

image000000(4).jpg

Thanks for finding that documentation. :beer:

Sounds like it is just an after cooler after all. Messed with it some more tonight and found that the nylon line is pressurized only when pumping, and it bleeds off from there. The brass plug with the check ball is also under pressure when pumping, it can be vented if loosened while pumping. Still not sure what its purpose is, thought maybe another way to drain water, but the outlet that goes to the tank is positioned lower?

Top Back Refresh