What's new

Trying to find a FJ40

Rooster831

RIP 4/22
Member Number
Trying to find a Fj40 for my grandpa, hes just going to drive it around the ranch so it can just be a beater. Something stock, doesnt need to have a top etc.
8-15k range is fine, located in California.

Just finished rebuilding his 3B last month and now the block cracked, Ill end up fixing and keep it for myself but hes done with it

I know I should probably post this in the wanted section but itll get more traffic here

Based on his description and it's intended use...I doubt he's concerned about smog

But what about driving in to town to get breakfast at the diner with all the other old fawks? :confused:

​​​​

Old boomers go to McDonald's now like the scum-sucking boomers they are.

FJ40s are hot on the high $$ TV auctions.

There is a nice one I saw yesterday on marketplace. I think I have my search radius st at 250 miles.... I'll see if I can find it again

This is the FJ I ended up purchasing, Its an all original 66 with the I6 and 3 speed. Pictures are from when I first got it. Had a local guy cut me new glass for the windshield, and I rebuilt all 8 wheel cylinders+ a new slave cylinder on the clutch. Still looking for doors and a top for it but its a nice little cruiser.

jHeJUDI.jpg

YmmVmgf.jpg

fMd6Vu0.jpg

This is the FJ I ended up purchasing, Its an all original 66 with the I6 and 3 speed. Pictures are from when I first got it. Had a local guy cut me new glass for the windshield, and I rebuilt all 8 wheel cylinders+ a new slave cylinder on the clutch. Still looking for doors and a top for it but its a nice little cruiser.

jHeJUDI.jpg

YmmVmgf.jpg

fMd6Vu0.jpg
Dang that’s clean! If you don’t mind, what did you pay?

Holy shit that’s what a roller costs!
Don’t think I could’ve got a better deal, I’ve put quite a few miles on it now. It’s gonna need a clutch soon but it runs great and there’s no hokey shit done to it.

Hate the driver seat though 6’ tall and I’m looking through the steering wheel, gotta get one of the raised cushions

Fix the headlight bezel. That's an awesome deal. You cant find a rusted-out pile for that cheap.

Don’t think I could’ve got a better deal, I’ve put quite a few miles on it now. It’s gonna need a clutch soon but it runs great and there’s no hokey shit done to it.

Hate the driver seat though 6’ tall and I’m looking through the steering wheel, gotta get one of the raised cushions

That’s a very good deal even with a 1F/3 speed.

Aftermarket seats are a little bit tricky with the big steering wheel, no tilt column, and the fuel tank under the passenger seat. Corbau buckets fit pretty well, but you have to build your brackets as low as possible

Fix the headlight bezel. That's an awesome deal. You cant find a rusted-out pile for that cheap.
Had someone else tell me it was upside down recently too, I had no clue haha. Thanks though

That’s a very good deal even with a 1F/3 speed.

Aftermarket seats are a little bit tricky with the big steering wheel, no tilt column, and the fuel tank under the passenger seat. Corbau buckets fit pretty well, but you have to build your brackets as low as possible

The drivers seat is way low compared to other stock Fj's I've driven, Someone that's 5'8-5'9 is barley able to see over the windshield frame. Want to retain stock seats, just a 2-3" bump on the drivers side, There is tons of clearance to the wheel.

Only thing that I really want to upgrade is the brakes, Are FJ60 or Mini truck knuckles/hubs a direct swap? I've got the 60 series stuff from when I went to six shooters and Tacoma hubs/slip on rotors on my other truck.

I've had it for about a year now, and I still cant get over how it just feels like a huge flat fender, Used to the 3b so having room to fit 4 people and some hunting gear is amazing.

Heres some more pictures, Did plugs, points/condenser some plug wires and fixed the battery strap. Engine pictures are from the day I got it.

HlD1LAo.png

lvtgmGH.jpg

VcevPVi.jpg

Wow what a nice FJ, it looks just like the one I learned to drive on and reminds me a lot of my last one too.

IIRC that FJ never came with buckets it had a 30/ 70 split bench, that would explain the seat height issue. My 66 had the bench seat bracket when I bought it but no seat. I looked and looked and looked but could never find a seat for sale and eventually broke down and got the buckets. It didn't work with the bracket I had so I had to go searching for a bucket bracket then all was well.

Gonna install power steering for the elderly driver ?
He’s a tough old cowboy, he will be fine without it.

These are the seats I’d like to find, my uncles 73 (I think).
Someone pushed the grill out to fit electric fans, still has the I6 but with a TBI kit.
E49D1692-309C-4C1C-9B2F-2FD5D77506B7.jpeg
ECD7A736-3BF0-4A3E-BCF7-AE1924EFAECF.jpeg

Top Back Refresh