What's new

Truck Trans in Chit Chat

DozerDan82

Master of the Universe!!!
Member Number
Loc
3rd Rock From the Big Ball of Fire
Did a thing over the weekend with the help of *vetteboy79 Pulled the zf6 and installed a mildly build 4R100. There were a few 'fun' parts, and a beer or two drank- may have also involved a boxed whiskey...

Fun times- I think. Huge thanks to Chris not only for his help, but also for driving his truck out as a 'chase' vehicle if needed.

Truck was also slated to get some new injectors and tune, but they did not show up in time. Prob for the best because work/drinking til 5am did not make for early starts. Did find out today that the injectors/tune showed up and are getting installed (one less thing for me to not have to do/ cut a check for :-) )

4R100 is big, ZF6 is huge next to it.

Moral of the story is - fuck if I know making it up as I go. Look at pictures :laughing::flipoff2:

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

Zf6+tcase is the biggest somebitch ive ever pulled. Almost dropped the last one trying to put it back in as a pair.

Eh maybe, buddy bought it that way, I just used it. On the lift if was not an issue, and if that is the issue then the lift is the least of your issues... the other 36" is going to play into effect

Exactly. We assembled the tranny jack at my brother's place the same way since it's used on a lift as well.

We pulled the zf5 in my fiances 97 7.3 a few months ago, holy hell that thing is massive. Not sure I want to even try putting it back in:lmao:

Turn in your man card.

Why would you swap a manual for an auto? WTF?:confused:

Well considering I swapped it from auto to manual I will do what ever I want :flipoff2::laughing:

3-4 syncros were shot, I have a bad back and shit shoulders, so the manual was annoying at best. I decided if it was coming out to fix it was not going back in. Did some trading and made sense to go this way. D for dummy. I liked the manual all in all but hated life if sitting in traffic or hitting light to light. Auto was a better fit all around.

I am okay with not having a man card if the rule is a manual trans - at this point in life.

Man... Y'all are brave pulling a zf6 with the case on one of those jacks, I've seen them blow seals out with a lot less weight than that on em.

Zf6+tcase is the biggest somebitch ive ever pulled. Almost dropped the last one trying to put it back in as a pair.

Hell how would it be? I did mine laying on my back alone with a floor jack!

I dropped that manual transmission and attached transfer case on my arm changing a clutch before. I was using a floor jack my brother in law had a hell of a time getting me loose since the way I was laying I couldn't help.

Install a USED 4R100? Did ya throw in a TC you found lying on the ground as well :flipoff2:

I'm also curious about this.

As Dan said, the truck was originally an auto...so the TCM just had a shitload of trouble codes for the last 7 years, which don't display on the dash. I re-rebuilt the harness to have the NSS, reverse lights, and a few other things back in the proper pins again but seems to work fine after that.

Worth saying that because it was an auto to ZF6 swap prior to this, the thing drove like garbage. I don't know if it was a ratio thing or just the way the ZF6 shifts, or maybe the clutch was just never quite right, but it was pretty miserable. The conversion never got quite 'done' so the hole in the floor wasn't sealed well, some of the wiring was sorta janked, the PRNDL indicator messed up, etc. With the synchros shot 3rd & 4th were just a crapshoot and that shift pattern on the ZF6 is stupid as hell.

By comparison my '05 Dodge CTD with the G56 is an absolute dream to drive. If this thing drove like mine it'd be staying manual, but especially since Dan will likely be seeing a lot more daily use with this thing in the near future with the house move, the auto makes sense. To him.

Man... Y'all are brave pulling a zf6 with the case on one of those jacks, I've seen them blow seals out with a lot less weight than that on em.

Didn't really seem to struggle much 😣 easily picked it with the 1k lb hoist to move away so it was less than that...was a bit tippy but more due to play in the table than anything with the cylinder

Install a USED 4R100? Did ya throw in a TC you found lying on the ground as well :flipoff2:

The case on that 4R100 went through a hot wash several times, we had to chase a bunch of the outer mounting bosses :laughing: hardly used by any stretch, 0 miles on rebuild for this truck with a stage 2(?) (stock hard parts with upgraded frictions and a shift kit) and convertor is brand new as well and also upgraded. The guy asked if we were worried about the cosmetic condition of the housing as he usually builds stuff for pulling/show trucks and would have sent it out for blasting, but for this deal, not necessary.

Since this thread is mostly about trans jacks here's the one i hack fabbed in a few minutes to pull the ZF6 out of my old super duty. Tried pulling it with the Tcase but i thought i was going to die under there by myself.

zf6-zpsed893624.jpg

Last edited:
As Dan said, the truck was originally an auto...so the TCM just had a shitload of trouble codes for the last 7 years, which don't display on the dash. I re-rebuilt the harness to have the NSS, reverse lights, and a few other things back in the proper pins again but seems to work fine after that.

Worth saying that because it was an auto to ZF6 swap prior to this, the thing drove like garbage. I don't know if it was a ratio thing or just the way the ZF6 shifts, or maybe the clutch was just never quite right, but it was pretty miserable. The conversion never got quite 'done' so the hole in the floor wasn't sealed well, some of the wiring was sorta janked, the PRNDL indicator messed up, etc. With the synchros shot 3rd & 4th were just a crapshoot and that shift pattern on the ZF6 is stupid as hell.

By comparison my '05 Dodge CTD with the G56 is an absolute dream to drive. If this thing drove like mine it'd be staying manual, but especially since Dan will likely be seeing a lot more daily use with this thing in the near future with the house move, the auto makes sense. To him.

Didn't really seem to struggle much 😣 easily picked it with the 1k lb hoist to move away so it was less than that...was a bit tippy but more due to play in the table than anything with the cylinder

The case on that 4R100 went through a hot wash several times, we had to chase a bunch of the outer mounting bosses :laughing: hardly used by any stretch, 0 miles on rebuild for this truck with a stage 2(?) (stock hard parts with upgraded frictions and a shift kit) and convertor is brand new as well and also upgraded. The guy asked if we were worried about the cosmetic condition of the housing as he usually builds stuff for pulling/show trucks and would have sent it out for blasting, but for this deal, not necessary.

Every ZF6 Ford I've driven shifted like garbage. I've driven probably 100 stick shift things and that trans I could just never get right. Glad its not just me.

least it is a e4od derivative
if it really fucks up on the computer side you can unplug it all together and it'll do okay with 1, 2 and 4

Every ZF6 Ford I've driven shifted like garbage. I've driven probably 100 stick shift things and that trans I could just never get right. Glad its not just me.

Slow shifting, clunky, going from Low to 1 was like impossible with out loosing all momentum. Maybe behind a different engine, but not behind a 7.3

As Chris pointed out, the housing is Eh but it is a rebuilt with some upgrades and an upgraded TC. I put a yard 4r100 in this truck when I first got it, did not have the $ for a good trans- waste of time and money--- live and learn.

As Chris pointed out, the housing is Eh but it is a rebuilt with some upgrades and an upgraded TC. I put a yard 4r100 in this truck when I first got it, did not have the $ for a good trans- waste of time and money--- live and learn.

Best thing I ever did on my 4R100 was change the valve body. If I was on it hard it would chirp 2-3. I knew it was on borrowed time though due to the power I was putting through it.

Top Back Refresh