What's new

Truck bed

89Breaker

Around
Member Number
How you approach this weld this truck repair?

Three separate areas damaged by previous owner with overloaded pipe rack and truck camper that I’ve since sold.

The first is the stake pockets, second is the bed rail, and third is rusted floor gap against the bed wall.

Goal is to restore OEM strength. I’d like to avoid overdoing this one, don't need extra strength, just OEM utility.

I have 220 mig, tig, and stick welders but my tig skills aren’t yet useful and my mig is good enough after doing a muffler install and exhaust repair.

Attachments

• IMG_7851.jpeg
    IMG_7851.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7850.jpeg
    IMG_7850.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7849.jpeg
    IMG_7849.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
Most of that stake pocket damage can be forced back to where it belongs and welded up just fine. The bed floor and bed rails you'll need to cut out and replace. Is the underlying structure good enough to bother repairing the rest?

If you care about appearance I'd be looking for a nicer bed myself.

Reactions: Clb
Most of that stake pocket damage can be forced back to where it belongs and welded up just fine. The bed floor and bed rails you'll need to cut out and replace. Is the underlying structure good enough to bother repairing the rest?

If you care about appearance I'd be looking for a nicer bed myself.

Yes, the stake pocket aligns with minimal force.

I was thinking the same on rail and bed floor. Easily accessed from bottom, will probably use regular flat stock.

No need to replace the bed, the stake pocket is just a bit more complex than my last weld job.

My grandpa put one of those plastic bed liners in there
best bet is just not look at it or acknowledge it :grinpimp:

craigslist bed :beer: four bolts and be done

Doesn’t work that way in Hawaii. I also don’t need to pay for a new bed when a repair will work.

It's not a show truck. Buy some small sheets of stainless same thickness as the bed sheetmetal, Cardboard CAD out some templates, cut, hammer fit and then keep them there with a fuckton of stainless pop rivets.

Then slap a plastic bed liner over it.

Stop drill the cracks

Clamp/bend/whatever to get the material close enough to tack

Put a 16ga backer plate behind anywhere you can fit it

tack tack tack tack tack

marvel at how ugly it looks and body work it until it is good enough for you

it likely crack again just outside where you weld it, or rust depending on your climate

Stop drill the cracks

Clamp/bend/whatever to get the material close enough to tack

Put a 16ga backer plate behind anywhere you can fit it

tack tack tack tack tack

marvel at how ugly it looks and body work it until it is good enough for you

it likely crack again just outside where you weld it, or rust depending on your climate

Good idea on the backer plate. Thanks!

How you approach this weld this truck repair?

Three separate areas damaged by previous owner with overloaded pipe rack and truck camper that I’ve since sold.

The first is the stake pockets, second is the bed rail, and third is rusted floor gap against the bed wall.

Goal is to restore OEM strength. I’d like to avoid overdoing this one, don't need extra strength, just OEM utility.

I have 220 mig, tig, and stick welders but my tig skills aren’t yet useful and my mig is good enough after doing a muffler install and exhaust repair.
Build a new top flange for the front/sides of the bed with 3/16" angle in the appropriate size 3x2 etc. Weld and gusset the front corners. Bolt with large washers every 12" down the bed side. Weld D rings etc. on the inside flange or top flange as needed.
Weld columns to floor as needed if bedside crushing is a concern.

You can make this out of aluminum too if you have the ability.

Build a new top flange for the front/sides of the bed with 3/16" angle in the appropriate size 3x2 etc. Weld and gusset the front corners. Bolt with large washers every 12" down the bed side. Weld D rings etc. on the inside flange or top flange as needed.
Weld columns to floor as needed if bedside crushing is a concern.

You can make this out of aluminum too if you have the ability.

Thanks, took me a minute to visualize it but figured it out. I wanted to avoid adding a lot of weight.

1699818317692.png

That’s not me, just something I found but I plan to copy it.

Top Back Refresh