What's new

transfer case clock

dodge2g

Member Number
Hello I'm building a air ride kit for my 1996 dodge ram 3500 4x4 and was wondering how you know you need to clock your transfer case. Thank you

max out the flex both directions while also rotating the front shaft, and along the way to max flex while rotating the shaft check to ensure the front shaft does not bind. If it binds up then the t-case will (probably) need to be clocked down to prevent it from binding. Remember that when a u-joint is close to max turn it is also at its most vulnerable state - when 'any' u-joint shaft is at its max turn is typically when they go 'snap'. CV joints can alleviate some of that potential, like RCV front axle shafts, etc. I think many mfg's nowadays are using CV driveshafts too. Don't know if there is an aftermarket mfg for 'off-road' (hard core) CV drive shafts...

Reactions: Dan
max out the flex both directions while also rotating the front shaft, and along the way to max flex while rotating the shaft check to ensure the front shaft does not bind. If it binds up then the t-case will (probably) need to be clocked down to prevent it from binding. Remember that when a u-joint is close to max turn it is also at its most vulnerable state - when 'any' u-joint shaft is at its max turn is typically when they go 'snap'. CV joints can alleviate some of that potential, like RCV front axle shafts, etc. I think many mfg's nowadays are using CV driveshafts too. Don't know if there is an aftermarket mfg for 'off-road' (hard core) CV drive shafts...
Thank you, I’m not off-roading just building a tow rig on air with a long arm in the front. What is the max pinion angle change. I know the lest you can get it the best but just trying to do the “measure 100 cut once”.

...if you mean what is the max pinion angle you can have flat and level while in 4WD at higher speeds...I think the safe target is about 5-6*...at least that's what my experiences have shown...and that's with DC joints (Double-Cardan). You can have more angle but you'll not want to be going fast-ish at those higher angles. Not sure if DC joints can handle much more angle for prolonged periods (highway time, etc).

For real street/highway driving it is standard practice to have a professional axle shop cut-turn a front axle to reduce the pinion angle.

- Sam

Top Back Refresh