What's new

Trailer toolbox

Big4x4ride

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Corpus Christi TX
Im looking to raise my trailer toolbox off the deck, and high enough to slide spare tires under it. My question if trying to figure how overboard I should go on building a frame to raise it. Its a Large RKI steel box 30" wide ( RKI - Commerical Grade Truck Equipment ). I know they are designed to hold aa bit of weight, mine will be pretty loaded (every bit of spare parts and tools for the rig). Anyone done something like this and have a picture of how they built a mount? I have ideas, but feel that i am probably overthinking the hell out of this.

trailer spare tires or wheeling rig's spare tire? drastic difference... I'd try sneak spare tires (if for trailer) into somewhere else before I'll bother raising the tool box lol.

and what trailer is this on?

Sitting straight on flat surface is the best if it's loaded heavy. I broke my truck tool box from heavy tools and shit, peeled bottom plate right off. Ideally is to have multiple crossmembers, such as 1/8" wall angle irons, to not put bottom plate or sides in tension for longevity.

trailer spare tires or wheeling rig's spare tire? drastic difference... I'd try sneak spare tires (if for trailer) into somewhere else before I'll bother raising the tool box lol.

and what trailer is this on?

Sitting straight on flat surface is the best if it's loaded heavy. I broke my truck tool box from heavy tools and shit, peeled bottom plate right off. Ideally is to have multiple crossmembers, such as 1/8" wall angle irons, to not put bottom plate or sides in tension for longevity.

Sorry, was typing original post at work and got sidetracked before finishing. 2 trailer spares under the tool box. Rig spare I'm intending to recess into the deck around the axles in order to not have to continually load/unload for rig loading/unloading. Trailer is an 18' 14K equipment trailer, 83" deck with sides. Getting ready to cut the sides as the rig is going to 86" or so width. Plan was to leave approx 3' of the sides on the front section (2.5" pipe) and run some 2x3x3/16" angle across for the box to set on, add a couple of cross members and have 2 legs down to the deck on the back of the box to help support everything. Front section will have added support from the front section of 2.5" pipe. That would allow me to set a spare on each side of the deck, under the box, as well as mount a winch on the deck in the center under the box. Hopefully that explanation is clearer than mud lol.

God forbid you post a picture...
Trailer was at home, I was killing time at work when I posted. Sides are getting removed, thought is to leave the front 30” or so of side, as well as the front piece since the jack it tied in. Build a frame between the rails, and 2 legs to the deck.
IMG_7925.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7926.jpeg
    IMG_7926.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7927.jpeg
    IMG_7927.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Looks like plenty of space to just go right next to the box on each side with a tire :confused:

Get some decorative floral covers for them to keep the UV away

meh, slide it to one side and mount it inboard of the rail...or mount one on each side outboard on the rail.

I am kind of late to the party here but I think cutting the rails off the side of the trailer is going to weaken it to the point that trailer is gonna fold while loaded. the top rail acts as a truss and where the "frame" is. Unless I am missing something, which is possible.

I am kind of late to the party here but I think cutting the rails off the side of the trailer is going to weaken it to the point that trailer is gonna fold while loaded. the top rail acts as a truss and where the "frame" is. Unless I am missing something, which is possible.
Sides are gone now, but its no different than any standard car hauler type trailer. Hell, most 7K's are build fully from angle, this one is 5" channel tongue/frame and 3" crossmembers. The top rail was 2.5" schedule 10 pipe with numerous dents, it wasnt doing much structurally.

Trailer is now no different than on of these other than deck width. 5" Channel Buggy Hauler (B5)

Top Back Refresh