What's new

trailer tire wear

When I bought new trailer axles for my toyhauler, I got them from Transwest, down in Belton. The only issue I had is it took forever for them to get the axles in. Kept blaming the shipper, I think it was (too many years ago to remember the details). But they did give me a decent discount for the hassle, plus the axles were cheap ($$ wise) in the first place.
I drive right past Transwest on the way to work every morning.. I will call and see. :beer:

Ended up ordering the 3.5k axle from Etrailer.com for the 12' trailer. Got it swapped out last Saturday. I should have ordered new u-bolts as well. drivers side came off no sweat with the cordless impact. passenger side the threads were all mashed to fuck. I got the nuts off eventually. Bought new u-bolts at the local farm store and got it back together. u-bolts are about 1/4" shorter than I would like but they came with nylock nuts.

I still need to measure my axles on my gooseneck and replace the rear axle on it. I noticed the pass side rear tire has cord showing last time I used it. :homer:

i have a tire that wears the inside out after a season or so of towing just one tire. i thought it was bent because every now and again in the mirror that tire has a crazy lean, like in a turn or something. i do repack and check bearing every year and before every trip double check tire pressure, so bet mine is bent too.

:mad3::lmao:
Very true, you win.

Both of my trailers looked like they were dog tracking in the mirror when I was pulling them. I just figured it was the angle of looking thru the mirror creating an illusion. :confused:

Why don't you cancel the order and do a single 5k swap? You already need to replace the tires, so the springs, brakes, and wheels are the only really new parts.

At least, this was the logic I used when I needed to replace a bent axle and all the tires on my 7k tandem (2x 3500# axles), and it will eventually now be a 10k tandem when my axles come in. Why spend a little when you can spend much more than a little?

Why don't you cancel the order and do a single 5k swap? You already need to replace the tires, so the springs, brakes, and wheels are the only really new parts.

At least, this was the logic I used when I needed to replace a bent axle and all the tires on my 7k tandem (2x 3500# axles), and it will eventually now be a 10k tandem when my axles come in. Why spend a little when you can spend much more than a little?
so you replaced one axle at a time. had one 3500 and one 5k. not a bad idea for sure besides spare tires. buttttttttt.

not sure if this was directed at me but my 12' trailer is a single axle.

so you replaced one axle at a time. had one 3500 and one 5k. not a bad idea for sure besides spare tires. buttttttttt.
I wasn’t very clear. It’s getting 2 5000lb axles. I said eventually just because they’re dragging their feet big time about shipping.

not sure if this was directed at me but my 12' trailer is a single axle.
Yeah, I was saying swap your single 3500 for a single 5000. I think the 3500s are so damned spindly they’re easy to bend with potholes. That’s what must have happened to mine, because it’s never been overloaded. I have one single axle 5k trailer that’s been great, and will soon have 2 more 5k axles for my tandem, and be done with the 3500lb stuff.

Top Back Refresh