What's new

Trailer 7 pin connector

Looks like normal “rv” plug.
Different than what you find on OTR trucks, but normal for most uses behind a pickup anymore.

Only downside I know of is that metal components are almost non existent.

Edit.. and, it’s possible I misunderstood the question

Last edited:
If you are talking about the plug shape, it looks like a moulded plug, all sealed up from the factory.
When it stops working, replace it with a screw on one.
1000086068.png

Aaron Z

Same but different.. just a lil different style of the same thing.. with wires attached.. tho I wish there was better standardized wire colors. I bought a Nice one awhile back, but the wire colors weren’t what I wish they were, which will eventually cause some confusion down the road.

It's not a big difference I'm just about to go put one in the 5er I got for backup as the molded plug failed.
Looks like your link.
Let me know if you need pics

Dont be surprised if it isnt wired to standard trailer color codes. I have used some that were correct and some that were way wrong. Fortunately with the junction box, if it is hooked up wrong, you can just move your connections from pin to pin until it is right. Minor aggravation.
The problem is there's 2 different "standard" trailer wire color codes:
Curt has a full list here: https://storage.googleapis.com/curt.../Complete_Trailer_Wiring_Color_Code_Chart.pdf
From their site: Trailer Wiring Diagram and Installation Help - Towing 101
Traditional RV:
1000086072.png

SAE:
1000086070.png

Aaron Z

It's not a big difference I'm just about to go put one in the 5er I got for backup as the molded plug failed.
Looks like your link.
Let me know if you need pics

the face of the two plugs is different, so they are interchangable then? Not talking about the color wire and all.

the face of the two plugs is different, so they are interchangable then? Not talking about the color wire and all.

Yes, they are interchangeable. I just put one like it on the electric jack I installed on the tongue of my trailer so I can run it off my truck instead of the battery in the trailer.

I'm gunna go look, do you mean the 7 pins are arranged differently?

Some of the female contacts are made differently, but in same orientation..

Brb

I've never seen a trailer wiried "traditional".

Green and yellow are blinkers, brown tails, blue 12v brakes, black rev, red 12v, white ground.
That is the SAE configuration, threw me for a loop when I rewired my deck over and nothing worked right.
It worked when I matched functions between the two patterns (plug whip vs wires on the trailer) instead of colors.

Aaron Z

Damn, never ran into the traditional wiring pattern. I’ve always wired the sae pattern.

I had no idea.

I installed a 7 pin and brake controller on my Pathfinder and nothing works right.

I was probing the 7 pin and everything was in the wrong spot.

I got pissed and have been using it not plugged in.

I need to revisit it and get it figured out.

2 different patterns, that is some BS

Damn, never ran into the traditional wiring pattern. I’ve always wired the sae pattern.

Pretty sure I fried something. I rewired a plug, used the diagram (red NOT power). Fast forward, whole run of the red wire is melted.

FUCK me, and the asshole who decided to put red as brakes. WTF asshole???

Top Back Refresh