What's new

Trail Mix

CenCon

Member Number
If you munch on it, what do you like?

We tend to make our own, start out with a base of store-bought, kick it up with some fancy nuts, we like putting homemade jerky in ours.

In this case Mountain trail mix and teriyaki jerky. Prepping for a road trip.
20200923_085436.jpg

I like trail mix and jerky, but I don't think the two should be combined. The textures just aren't compatible to me.

I've yet to find anything to mix with jerky, that was better than the jerky by itself.

I like trail mix and jerky, but I don't think the two should be combined. The textures just aren't compatible to me.

I've yet to find anything to mix with jerky, that was better than the jerky by itself.

Not to mention that mixing meat and milk chocolate mans you're going to hell according to Leviticus.

That should get us a couple miles down the road.
16008738192483575126050471605743.jpg

Welp. Now I now what I'm grabbing for an afternoon snack.

Pfft! There are things on that list much more disconcerning than that.:flipoff2:

Well I suppose it technically just says don't poach a baby goat in milk from its own mother and it's pretty vague on the rest. I'm just running with the popular interpretation.

I buy it and when I do I buy this
trailmix.jpg

That's where my wife & I are. Jerky & trail mix are great separately, far less so combined.

We love trail mix w/ M&M's in it, but that's more of a dessert or for when we'll be burning calories.
For snacking, we like a spicy mix w/o chocolate (maybe fooling ourselves that it's significantly less calorie-dense).

Our favorite unmodified trail mix is Raley's Summit Vista Spicy Trail Mix.
Can't find a picture of the bag we buy locally, but here's an online description that seems reasonable:
Peanuts, Roasted Soft Corn Nuggets, Cajun Sesame Sticks, Honey Sesame Sticks & Almonds
- good amount of heat, great as-is, we usually add 10-20% roasted/salted pepitas to it (as good or better than "stock")

We make our own:

Almonds
Cashews
Pecans
Sometimes shelled pistachios
Raisins or craisins
Coconut chips
Those little granola balls
Banana chips

...and the secret ingredient I discovered after having kids: honey nut cheerios. Seriously, if you're not putting honey nut cheerios in your trail mix, you should try it. Game changer.

Kettle cooked salt and pepper peanuts, Kirkland shelled pistachios, ranch corn nuts, little sesame sticks and raisins. M&M's stay separate as well as jerky.

Kettle cooked salt and pepper peanuts

Hmmm

A twist we've tried a few times - make the mix you like, throw it all in ye ol smokehouse and cold smoke for about 10 minutes.

*waterfowl or pheasant camp you're gtg, not recommended for big game camp.

We used to call it Gorp, made it diffrent kinds of nuts, (generally what every was cheap) and semi sweet chocolate

I’m not a big sweet eater. I like the Asian rice crackers (minus the seaweed 😝) with salted cashews and peanuts added in :homer:
0EBF79C7-5439-4CD2-9A0D-D058ABBD69B1.jpeg

image_24555.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh