What's new

Trail-gear steering box

Sidekicktodd

Member Number
Loc
Sonoma county
So I’ve a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to. The TG Power Flow steering box, does that actually mean anything or is that just marketing hype. Does it just mean it’s drilled and plumbed for hydro assist. Have they made the box more powerful? I have it now and I’m super happy with it. I was changing my steering setup and hated getting junkyard boxes because they always leak and I figured I’d run hydro eventually.

Problem is that it works so good I don’t think I need hydro anymore. I’m running a 6v automatic locker and 37s.

I was running a junkyard ifs box then I went to a land cruiser box when I linked it. With a 4 banger 35s and auto locker before and they weren’t any better and probably a little worse then when I switched to my new frame and now I’m running the new TG box.

2115B8F6-A668-4370-A58E-955FAEB1C7AF.jpeg
44D01785-ED79-4437-86ED-EF90AF5CB0C4.jpeg

Attachments

• 71A74802-89AE-4F9F-B918-AA3244073220.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 2
It's the 4th photo on the webpage :homer:
trail-gear-power-flow-steering-box.html

303951-1_alt03.jpg

:flipoff2:

EDIT: I reread and understand better now.:homer::homer::homer: :lmao: No idea. Its possible considering it comes pre-tapped for hydro assist. This is curious to me: "While designed to be a direct replacement for the 86-88 box, this steering box will also work in the 89-95 application by adjusting the steering input shaft."

Last edited:
I was trying to find out what they did to make it better. like making ports bigger. I’ve seen things about tapping factory boxes for hydro assist but nothing about making them more powerful.

I’ve always wondered this too. Is it just a rebuilt box drilled and tapped or are they doing something special? I’ve always ran junkyard steering boxes that I’ve drilled and tapped myself. I have friends who have bought and ran the Trail Gear boxes and the PSC boxes and they all seem to work the same.

I hope they are using better seals. Everything t.g. I have has sealing issues.
If this all new box is special and not just an advertising gimmic, that's awesome.
Watching this.

Something I just thought of. When I went to the new TG box I also changed the power steering pump to a stock gm pump. I don’t know if a more powerful pump will make a difference

My hydro assist with a tapped factory box is slow. If this box is an upgrade I would buy one.

Reactions: Clb
After the 3rd stage mod on my factory pump was done to get the 35's to turn when locked:idea: I saw that psi bump overpowered ths seals but it turns.
Hopefully tg is putting out some bolt in upgrades :smokin:

I have an upgraded pump and my hydro assist is still to slow for me. It has enough power but it’s not fast enough to correct on slick roads. I am piecing together a full hydro set up but I would prefer to keep my assist. All my research says the Toyota box is the limiting factor on hydro assist.

I think hydro assist is just slow in general. My buddy ran a full PSC system from (pump,ram,box,cooler,res) costing almost $4k and the thing is slow. It gave me a bad taste about hydro assist. I’ll deal with the occasional locked steering. Only time it happens to me is when I’m all twisted up and I can usually just drive threw it. I figure it helps save knuckles anyway if you’re not forcing things with hydro. Just makes you drive smarter.

It's the 4th photo on the webpage :homer:
trail-gear-power-flow-steering-box.html

This is curious to me: "While designed to be a direct replacement for the 86-88 box, this steering box will also work in the 89-95 application by adjusting the steering input shaft."
86-88 was shorter. 89-95 was longer
steeringboxeb-600-jpg.jpg

Reactions: osv
From this post

"Externally the only difference is the length of the steering input shaft. The later style box has a 1" longer input gear. The later style box also has a slightly faster internal gearing ratio, requiring slightly less turns to get the box to full lock."

Being that the TG box is the earlier style, which takes "more turns" that tells me the gearing is deeper within the box. In my eyes that would mean it would have more leverage over the pitman arm and therefore feel more powerful. I haven't side by side tested them though, so who knows. I have a later style IFS box on my pile. I can't recall which my last rig had to compare to.

Top Back Refresh