What's new

Trail gear air powered rear disconnect?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Whatever happened to these? Just too expensive or were they junk? Trailgear doesn't show them on their website anymore, but lots of vendors do, nor sure if they're in production or not.

Kid who is buying my tires, wheels and axles from kernel has one that I could probably get rolled into the deal for fairly cheap. I wouldn't mind having front dig, but I have to swap out my 30 sp chromo output for a stock size chromo.

Buddy had one and never installed.

Didn’t seem worth it, and never needed it at Hammers or anywhere else.

Seems like an extra break point to me.

Someone has project ADD.

Finish the 12 valve.. then worry about front digs

floater and locking hubs:flipoff2:

That's how the Samurai I built for my buddy was set up. I bet to this day those hubs have never been unlocked for front dig usage. :laughing:

PA140195_zpsx2vhfufq.jpg

Locking rear hubs for front dig :lmao:

For reel doh, has anyone actually used or seen one of these in use?
One it was offered as an alternative, two I've seen a guy use it, three it moves the disconnect off the driveline and a failure point to cleaner package and makes a truck flat towable without a bulky driveline disco.
common? no. available yes.

and if your package is Toyota based its a shitload cheaper than above alternatives:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I'm not going to spend a bunch of money adding rear hubs, just to have to get out and unlock them to turn sharp, then again to relock:laughing:

Just curious about the disconnect since the kid I'm helping build his rig bought some cases with it. Even if I don't want it, I'm curious for his sake

Locking rear hubs for front dig :lmao:

For reel doh, has anyone actually used or seen one of these in use?
I actually installed one a long time ago. The car had 0 problems with it during years of use and blew many rear yota diffs.
As far as I’m concerned and knowing it’s only 1 example of the product I’ve seen in my life, I liked it.
Plus no extra shifter. A toggle is nice.

I actually installed one a long time ago. The car had 0 problems with it during years of use and blew many rear yota diffs.
As far as I’m concerned and knowing it’s only 1 example of the product I’ve seen in my life, I liked it.
Plus no extra shifter. A toggle is nice.

I was thinking the toggle could actually be pretty sweet. Does it engage and disengage quickly?

I have been running one for a few years with some small issues.
It engages/disengages when it wants to. Sometimes you have to rock the rig back and forth a little to make it do what you want it to. Having front dig with the flip of a switch is nice...When it cooperates.
Overall I'm cool with it. Strength is not an issue thus far. Last run I absolutely flogged the shit out of my rig with brand new 37" Reds and all the usual Toyota upgrades (yes, I am a die hard Toyota fanboi) what let loose was the front hub studs (ARP) because I didn't tighten them properly :homer:

A good friend has one in a 4 runner. He had no issues with that part. Always had good things to say. Need a reliable air source though, if you don't already have one.

As a buggy guy, getting back into trail wheeling and building an XJ, I'm actually worried I won't know how to drive without front dig... :lmao::lmao:

I looked into them and the TT disconnects a few times. Always seems to be a trade off for strength/reliability/noise so I never ended up doing anything. IIRC the TG one wasn't cheap. The fact that it's no longer in production tells me it wasn't very popular.

I wonder how many were actually produced?

I was thinking the toggle could actually be pretty sweet. Does it engage and disengage quickly?
Very much so in my experience. Satisfying "clonk" noise when it does too :smokin:

Briansc33 does paint a different picture though. Remeber it was not my rig so I drove it maybe once but was riding with its owner a lot.

I run the Trail Tough rear disconnect. No problems in the 4 years or so I"ve had it. If you're in a bind you gotta rock it a little bit to get to lock or unlock but overall it's pretty cool. It only takes up 1" of driveling length.

I have 2 of them. My old ftoy comp rig had one for 5-6 years before I tore it down to build the promod. It’s been in there since 2019, never had a single issue with it. I picked up another one for my trail crawler, flawless so far.
They do require unloading the drive train to unlock them, but so does an atlas. I’m running manuals in front of mine, so just flip the switch, push in the clutch, and when it rocks back, you hear it disengage. Flip the switch, and it locks right back in. The ONLY negative I see about them is you lose the speedometer when you install them.

Top Back Refresh