What's new

Track bar mounted to opposite side of drag link

There is that, pretty sure hiems are not dot, and ive never seen a double shear pitman arm either.

Find me the law that states you can't use heims...... Don't worry, I'll wait.

Do any of you "double sheer or you're going to die" types understand what a ball joint or tie rod end is and how its made??? :shaking:

There is that, pretty sure hiems are not dot, and ive never seen a double shear pitman arm either.
That's 100% BS.
20220813_104815.jpg

Find me the law that states you can't use heims...... Don't worry, I'll wait.

Do any of you "double sheer or you're going to die" types understand what a ball joint or tie rod end is and how its made??? :shaking:

There is no law saying that, but they do not have dot stamps

Same debate as bead locks.

Pretty sure it's never an issue as long as you don't crash into a lawyers family.

can you turn to right?
Lol that's fully stuffed as high up as she goes on the RTI Ramp.

I'm now running gm square body front springs. And haven't had any issues turning when stuffed. It's friggen tight for sure. It could use another inch of bump stop for sure.

Ps. I've never seen a tie rod I've replaced with a DOT stamp....

There is no law saying that, but they do not have dot stamps

Where is the law stating that every part put on a motor vehicle needs a dot stamp?

I worked on cars for 30+ years before I switched to heavy equipment, and besides lights on the car and maybe a factory windshield I don't remember seeing any "dot stamps" on anything.....

Where is the law stating that every part put on a motor vehicle needs a dot stamp?

I worked on cars for 30+ years before I switched to heavy equipment, and besides lights on the car and maybe a factory windshield I don't remember seeing any "dot stamps" on anything.....

Fair point.

I'm sure somewhere in some law book there is a list of components that are supposed to be dot approved.

I'm sure if one really wanted to go down that road, they would probably not want to touch anything on a vehicle.

Or just do whatever like we all do and most likely never have an issue. :usa:

As long as there are shitty rat rods being built and insured/ safety inspected and passing frig em all. Catch me if you can.

All kinds of parts, DOT requirements. Brake hoses for example. Just because you don’t see it on the part doesn’t mean there’s not requirements. There is an enormous book of DOT requirements.

All kinds of parts, DOT requirements. Brake hoses for example. Just because you don’t see it on the part doesn’t mean there’s not requirements. There is an enormous book of DOT requirements that the MANUFACTURER has to follow.

FIFY

We are talking about inspection laws. Mucho difference.

FIFY

We are talking about inspection laws. Mucho difference.
I live in California we don’t have inspection. Never have had my car looked at except they plug in the OBD scanner once once every two years. I could literally have no brake lights and a flat tire and pass a smog check.

My initial thought is to run from that one. However, you could leverage the price because of the hack and if it’s cheap enough you could unfuck it your self. I actually wonder what it’s like to drive it.

First, let me say the x drag link/panhard is terrible. There’s lots of other bad stuff there.

But, there is nothing wrong with steering stabilizers (1 or 2) They a purpose and it is good for your rig if done right. They are not for fixing problems, they are for preventing them. If you think they are bad, you don’t understand them.

They are just a damper. If the suspension and steering are done correctly, and not a sloppy pile of worn out shit, there is no oscillation to dampen.

OEMs use them to take out some of the feedback in the steering wheel when you hit something.

First, let me say the x drag link/panhard is terrible. There’s lots of other bad stuff there.

But, there is nothing wrong with steering stabilizers (1 or 2) They a purpose and it is good for your rig if done right. They are not for fixing problems, they are for preventing them. If you think they are bad, you don’t understand them.
agreed, the stabilizer on my rig just dampens potholes and whatnot

didnt realize how much it helped until i took it off :laughing:

They are just a damper. If the suspension and steering are done correctly, and not a sloppy pile of worn out shit, there is no oscillation to dampen.

OEMs use them to take out some of the feedback in the steering wheel when you hit something.

So what do you think ware’s out stuff to make it sloppy? A big factor is shocks to the system. Now there’s not much you can do to stop a shock to a tiered end at the knuckle. But everything up stream from there can benefit from the steering damper. If you could mount the steering damper directly to the knuckle, everything would last longer.

Yes shock/impact wears shit out. So does poor alignment, extreme offset wheels, sending it off a jump, ect. A damper won't prevent, or solve any of it. In reality the initial impact (first 1 ms of peak force) isn't damped at all. shock is way too slow, hard parts already took the peak force.

I do agree, in general, damping (energy absorption) can make other parts live longer. Depends on the specific use case.

This is the truck I ended up with. 03’ 7.3,it was the old Voss motorsports chase truck. Donahue Deavers F/R, no sketchy fab. Got some funky stuff tho, lift block on driver side not passenger, turbo might be toast, and dual steering stabilizers:flipoff2:
IMG_4778.jpeg

Going to leave it as is for a while, but do 08+ leafs rear and 05+ SD swap with coil overs, after I build the 4500 truck i’ve been planning

Last edited:
May just have a lean and the PO is trying to trim it out. Both my square bodys sag on one side. Maybe I'm getting fat...unconfirmed...

I have found that a steering stabilizer is usually because something else is out of whack. My current truck doesn't even have one. It's got a Y link with a bent drag link. Butter smooth.

Top Back Refresh