What's new

Tracing tool cnc workflow

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Anyone here got a good work flow for taking something from a picture or scan to cad/3d file. Normally I just design from scratch but doesn't make sense here. Mostly looking at measuring tools, tap handles, and the like

I've got some kaizan foam. Want to make insert drawers for some of my tools. Idea I had was to photograph the tools top down, the use some software to trace or scan it, then generate the tool path.

But I don't know what software to use, is there anything automated or is it just matching lines?

I use CoralDraw to convert pictures into .DXF files. There’s a bit of a learning curve but once you figure out the basics it’s easy to use. I only use a small fraction of its capabilities for what I’m doing, and I’m probably not even doing it the right way but it works.

^
Corel works decent. If you use a good, light and solid colored background that contrasts with the tools it'll make autotrace a lot cleaner.

Inkscape will do it too if you can't get a copy of corel.

Lots of youtube videos on both.

Post up your results. I'd like to do something similar for my more expensive metrology tools. Could easily make them with my router but I don't have the time or energy to draw them up.

I have used "Sketch Picture" in Solidworks.
I would take a picture of what I want from the top view with a ruler in the photo as well.
I would scale the image using the ruler so it was dimensionally accurate.
Sometimes I would play with contrast, saturation, and sharpness to help "Crisp" up the image.
From there, I would trace the shape using the sketch tools in Solidworks.
Add some dimensions, relations, etc. and Bingo Bango Bongo.
You have a fresh new part! (That is not made out of chipboard)

I have used "Sketch Picture" in Solidworks.
I would take a picture of what I want from the top view with a ruler in the photo as well.
I would scale the image using the ruler so it was dimensionally accurate.
Sometimes I would play with contrast, saturation, and sharpness to help "Crisp" up the image.
From there, I would trace the shape using the sketch tools in Solidworks.
Add some dimensions, relations, etc. and Bingo Bango Bongo.
You have a fresh new part! (That is not made out of chipboard)

Have watched a number of youtube videos outlining that process. Seems pretty straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUiIAb1YqeM

Top Back Refresh