What's new

Toyota Hub gear identification

Yotota

Truck nerd
Member Number
Loc
SW WA
Is there an easy way to identify OEM Aisin hub gears versus aftermarket chromoly hub gears, once both have been in the hubs and used enough to not look new anymore?

I can't find any info about the OEM gear material so comparing hardness or density may or may not work.

After more searching with different terms I found something for the inner gears:

On the snap ring side, the OEM Aisin inner gears have a recessed step before the inner splines begin inside the gear. All the chromoly gears I've seen have a 45° chamfer instead of the step.

Still not sure on the outers... The geometry appears to be the same.

Anybody else been having trouble getting the hubs to unlock after installing the chromos? I bought a brand new hub that worked perfect and after installing the chromos it would not unlock. Others I've talked to have had the same issue. Not sure if there's just slight differences in the machining or what.

I've thrown tools across the shop over this...:mad3:

Anybody else been having trouble getting the hubs to unlock after installing the chromos? I bought a brand new hub that worked perfect and after installing the chromos it would not unlock. Others I've talked to have had the same issue. Not sure if there's just slight differences in the machining or what.

Had zero issues with my OG Longfield gears. Bought in 06.

Which brand?

I could see a new hub having a bit tighter tolerances, and aftermarket gears being designed to go into used hubs.

SA Hub gears-- Chromo L, OEM R.

IMG_2692.jpg

Interesting... On that OEM gear, the outer spline cut extends higher than I recall seeing before. Maybe I didn't notice it, or maybe I last looked at IFS hubs on a solid axle. And then on the snap-ring side that outer chamfer looks a bit different too.

are you overgreasing? Too much lube when rebuilding lockouts will make spinning the dial very tight

Possibly.. Gonna tear into it this weekend.
ive had great luck numerous times just completely 100% cleaning them, file down any rough edges/gouges, pick out any debris in splines, then put a very thin film of grease on everything, no globs just a thin film. pretty much works every time, including those hubs people have gouged the shit out of the dials with pliers trying to turn them.

hopefully that works for you and its not a manufacturing defect in the chromo hubs you got :beer:

Pulled one of mine, I'm 98% sure it's a stock FJ60 inner gear. The outer splines running to the top seem to appear only on the stock gears.

PXL_20220311_041855380.jpg

PXL_20220311_041905024.jpg

I think the step/recess on the bottom side (mentioned earlier, not on mine) is only a feature of IFS OEM hub gears. So far I've seen three different OEM inner gear styles across all my searching. But only one OEM outer gear style.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh