What's new

Tow Rig Recommendations

My experience with a 10k trailer on a gas engine was 5-6 MPG @ 5k RPM. Maybe on the flats but in the mountains gas engines suck. My diesel gets 10 MPG and tow without drama.

Any of the big 3 diesel options will work for the OP. I have 18 Ram 6.7 and plan on keeping it.

What gas engine? Were talking new stuff with 8-10 speed trans.

This thread has been going on for at least ten years that I can recall and there’s still no winner.

Ram 5.7, 6 speed auto and 4.10 gears. Altitude and gas engines == sad towing ;)
We have a 3500 with the 5.7 at work. The 5.7 is a dog just driving around with four people and an unloaded bed. Can’t imagine towing with it.

Not sure how common it really is, but ive heard tell of the gas 7.3 eating cams and lifters at about 40k. Im sure the 6.6 gas has issues too, it just hasnt come across my youtube feed. Id buy a ram at this point just beacuse its cheaper to repair after a crash and cheaper to insure. Still kinda built like a truck. Dont know anything about the big hemi

Even the 6.4 is a turd. I think the 6.2 ford would eat it up in about every way.

I can't imagine buying a gas ram :laughing:

:lmao::lmao:..we all have our opinions..

I have a 6.4 ram power wagon with 4.10 and 35,s...

I have driven some of our Ford f250 4x4 with 6.2 and 4.10 gears and 3.73...the Ford with 3.73 is a dog.....Ford with 4.10 feels the same as the ram

:lmao::lmao:..we all have our opinions..

I have a 6.4 ram power wagon with 4.10 and 35,s...

I have driven some of our Ford f250 4x4 with 6.2 and 4.10 gears and 3.73...the Ford with 3.73 is a dog.....Ford with 4.10 feels the same as the ram

To be fair, I was comparing trucks that had been used for work. Not brand new nice trucks.

Either are fine for normal truck stuff. But towing heavy in the mountains, I'd want something else.

Lots of good points have been made, but many ignore the OP's actual question, because the right truck for him isn't the right truck for everyone.

IMO, you see more dodges out towing because they're cheaper.

Go drive some and see what you like, any of them will do the job just fine. My friend has a '18 Ram 2500 Cummins Longhorn (or some other premium cowboy themed package). He likes it, and on paper it's a very nice truck, but I really dislike the seating position and how it drives compared to the similar era Fords and Chevys I've driven.

You're in DFW, which is pretty flat, how far do you tow?

I have a few buddies that tow with ecoboost F150s, and are very happy with it. This is just towing a single jeep/buggy on an open trailer. Be honest with yourself, are you ever going to load two jeeps on a trailer? if not, the 1/2 ton would be a much more comfortable daily. Last time I went to Fordyce, I was blow away on how well my buddy's '21 tahoe towed, it just has the DI 5.3L, but also has the 8 speed auto.

I have a 7.3L Powerstroke (in a van), and my next tow rig will have a gas motor.

I'm looking at a new to me truck in a 2017+ F-350 in the next year or so.

While the gasser vs. diesel debate has some merit...from a purchase price standpoint and availability...not so much.

Within 500 miles of me, on the various vehicle sale websites (e.g. autotrader, cars.com, etc.) there are less than a dozen with a 7.3L available. On top of that, their price is comparable to the diesels. Until the 7.3's become more plentiful, I'll take the diesel for near the same cost.

I towed with a 08? V-10 F-350 (my 7.3L trans crapped the bed) from Northern Colorado to Moab. While it was a bit nicer ride than my 7.3L, even my 7.3L stock could outpull it on the passes. On the way back from Moab, I was doing 35mph floored going East on Vail pass. The V-10 motor was even newer, and I was only towing my buggy on a 18' 10k flat bed trailer. I'd hate to think of doing that with a 30' GN with a truck camper on it as well.

My 7.3L isn't stock anymore, but I'm over rowing gears, and just want to "drive"...and not have to "drive the truck".

Top Back Refresh