What's new

Torch advise - CW-300

rattlewagon

shitboxin
Member Number
Loc
Northfield Vermont
Clif notes: Is it worth trying to fix the cw 300 and where to find parts, or just keep using the airco.

Ive always used other people torches, never had my own. My folks moved away in the past year and I got a hand me down set. Finally ponied up and bought the tanks and have run them out twice now.

I have two torch handles? Not sure what they are called. One is an airco, and works but recently the acc valve caught fire in my hand. My friends at airgas cleaned both valves and said it was good to go. Needs a new tip, but other than that should be fine. Ill give it another go this weekend. (on the right in the pic below)

I also got this CW-300 given to me recently and was told this is the one I should be using. Again, airgas tried it and it would light, but would just "pop" when you tried to do anything with it. They said they could send it out to be rebuilt for about $150. Is this something worth doing? Any idea how old this torch is?

I also have a purox oxy regulator that is leaking (not the one on the tank currently) but appears rebuild kits are pretty readily available for it. But what should I have my regs set at?

Thanks!
-Caleb

JMExRnJl.jpg

V4WFP8El.jpg

OVq06zpl.jpg

Last edited:
Most if not all of my experience with torches has been with Victor style torches, or the one on the left in your pic, from the basic size one like that to a 4 foot long demolition torch. I prefer that type, because I'm used to it, but I can't say it's better than anything else, just what I'm used to. As for the basic torch settings, back in welding class I used to have a little card that would tell you optimum settings for each tip size and material thickness, etc..but in general I keep OXY about 50 psi and Acetylene about 8 psi. For most anything I ever cut those settings work pretty well. IIRC you're supposed to NEVER run the acetylene higher than 15 psi.

EDIT: Just googled the CW300 torch, you should be able to buy a brand new victor style torch in the neighborhood of 200 dollars, going on up into 800 dollar range. Google victor style cutting torch kits, it'll come with hose and regulators and everything. I'm sure others can chime in on brands to avoid, etc.. but I don't know that I personally would spend 150 to rebuild that one. I hope someone with more knowledge can add more info.

Last edited:
i prefer torches of the style pictured ont he right. the longer tubes are nice for slidding along your hand while making a straight cut. i believe they are far more expensive too.

I'm sure someone will tell me I've been doing it wrong my whole life... but oxy wide open and set to 20. Acet half a turn and set to 5.

You're right on bottle settings, that's where i screwed up in my advice earlier, never turn the acetylene bottle wide open, and if i'm not mistaken, never use the bottle while its on it's side, or recently having been on it's side? Or am i thinking of something else? :homer:

You're right on bottle settings, that's where i screwed up in my advice earlier, never turn the acetylene bottle wide open, and if i'm not mistaken, never use the bottle while its on it's side, or recently having been on it's side? Or am i thinking of something else? :homer:

That's correct, acetylene is dissolved in acetone (think co2 in soda pop) and you only want to draw the acetylene out, never the acetone. If it's on its side, your odds are high of drawing acetone and blowing yourself up.

your odds are high of drawing acetone and blowing yourself up.

uh
no such thing will happen
you'll get some higher pressure in the hose if you turn the torch valve off with some of the acetone sitting in the hose, but that ain't gonna do anything as by then there ain't gonna be any o2 in the hose for it to ignite

the style of torch on the left is only useful when you've also got the welding and heating tips/mixers for it, if all you're ever running is the cutting head then just run the one on the right (and get a propane tip for it because fuck paying for acetylene)

also I find myself using a heavy preheat gouging tip a lot more often than my one (undersized) rosebud tip, just puts out more heat and fits in the cutting torch body so less shit to change over

ETA: if you aren't planning on doing gas welding, I'd go so far as to trade in the acetylene bottle on a bigger oxygen tank. Just use a grill bottle of propane.

x2 on the propane if you are just cutting for scrap or rough cuts. I want to add that while cheaper, propane tips spread the heat out more the acetylene and it also makes a rougher sloppier cut.

I currently have a Victor torch. I have had an Airco. I like the way the Airco feels and its a plus to have the Oxy knob where you can adjust it with your thumb as you heat and cut. To me I choose torches on how they feel in my hand and where I'm going to use them. When I grab the torch now its always small stuff to heat up or just a short cut. The Victor is great for that.

Victor has a trade in program going on right now. Take any torch working or not in and swap it for a new Victor. They have the same thing going for oxy/acet regulators too.

I don't remember how much but it was well worth it.

The settings on the torch should be based on the cutting tip size there are charts available online. You may have a tip set up to cut 10" of solid steel that those little bottles can't even feed so it's best to check.

This looks like it might be it? https://www.norco-inc.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/ESB-998277-Installation Instructions.pdf

That lists the proper procedures as well.

If it just pops you might see if the holes in the tip are plugged up, they sell little wire tools for cleaning them out or you may buy a new tip. I could be wrong but besides leaking or getting plugged up there is not much that can go wrong on a torch it's just valves, a mixing chamber, and a tip.

I would not mess with an oxygen regulator that is known to have leaked just too much risk for the cost of a regulator.

maybe flashback arrestors for the lines since you are working with unknown vintage stuff?

Thanks for all the tips guys. Ill look in to propane for cutting, that's all Im looking to do with this setup.

Airgas put a new tip on the w300 and it was still popping. Ill probably just hang it on the wall for now, as the airco works fine.

Top Back Refresh